Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rip off?

• 08-03-2007 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

buying this laptop from adverts, now i dont know much about laptops as im a desktop man so pricing wouldnt be my strong point

the said laptop is a thinkpad 600e
    have an IBM Thinkpad for sale.
    P2 366 MHz
    128MB Ram
    6 Gig hd
    DVD/CD Drive
    2 Pcmcia Slots
    Usb 1
    56k modem
    Usb Wireless modem Supplied with drivers disk
    carry bag
    The speakers aren't working but I'd imagine it's a quick soldering job to fix. Never really bothered to check it out. Currently running Win XP Pro with no problems and it downloads as fast as my new laptop. Perfect internet ready la

thats the ad , im paying 70 euro, but is it really worth it like price wise would i get it cheaper or somthing better for the same price?

thanks
    sean

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

weeder wrote:
    buying this laptop from adverts, now i dont know much about laptops as im a desktop man so pricing wouldnt be my strong point

the said laptop is a thinkpad 600e
    have an IBM Thinkpad for sale.
    P2 366 MHz
    128MB Ram
    6 Gig hd
    DVD/CD Drive
    2 Pcmcia Slots
    Usb 1
    56k modem
    Usb Wireless modem Supplied with drivers disk
    carry bag
    The speakers aren't working but I'd imagine it's a quick soldering job to fix. Never really bothered to check it out. Currently running Win XP Pro with no problems and it downloads as fast as my new laptop. Perfect internet ready la

thats the ad , im paying 70 euro, but is it really worth it like price wise would i get it cheaper or somthing better for the same price?

thanks
    sean

I wouldnt have thought you would get much cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ah, the old 600E. My first laptop. A venerable workhorse. They say you never forget your first....

Ahem, sorry, I was drifting off there. Yeah, €70 is towards the top end of the scale for a laptop of that era. But running XP on 128Mb of ram is going to be painful - try and see it running first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

well i dont intend on keeping xp on it i just want somthing for IM and email and internets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

As long as it's actually working ok the price seems fine for that sort of laptop - you won't really go much below that price before you start hitting 'free', regardless of specs. I'd be concerned about the speakers though, is it just the speakers or does it work with external speakers connected to the jack. It'd be worth checking out. Even if you don't think its a big deal it might be a pain later.

Also XP will get by on 128mb but won't be pretty. I ran XP for awhile on 64mb! Get Win2k - almost as functional as xp for most purposes and not half as resource heavy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

HavoK wrote:
    Also XP will get by on 128mb but won't be pretty. I ran XP for awhile on 64mb! Get Win2k - almost as functional as xp for most purposes and not half as resource heavy.
    Don't forget that a transferrable license is worth €70 by itself - even if you just use it to convert a Vista upgrade into a full retail Vista ( upgrading a windows OEM is the kiss of death - you can't move the upgrade later )

€70 for a PDA with a decent screen, that you can do serious word processoring on, there are people out there writing books that could do a lot worse, all they'd need is a usb key to backup on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement