Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Collaboration Forum

Options
  • 08-03-2007 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you could help me out with a project I have in college. I have to design a hypothetical business for my Entrepreneurs class. Basically I was thinking of implementing a hypothetical dediacted mixing/collaboration containing:

Its own online database for samples
    Loops
    Collected freeware.
    Basically as a place to connect musicians with msuicians, singers with songwriters, and unsigned bands with unsigned bands.

I'm not trying to spam or anything like that, so if anyone objects, send me a PM and I'll remove this. Thanks.

Would you subscribe to an online collaboration forum? 2 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 2 votes
    Need more info.
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I love it. I'm not sure how much I'd be able to dedicate to it if it was there though. But then I think musicians are propelled by the natural movement of whatever project they work on. If I hooked up with some good people on something like that and I like how it sounded and where it was going I wouldn't be able to help myself going on it. Great idea all round I think. All it would need would be enough genuinely interested (and talented) musicans in the one virtual place, lightening fast servers, a rock solid CMS and a slick GUI. Those things aren't easy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Thanks Frobisher!!

Well like I said it's all hypothetical, so I would probably have to consider the cost of implementing a website designer and programmer. I asked the same question on a similar music forum and the replies I got centred mainly on whether or not the service was free or subscription based. I don't think people are too willing to pay for the use of such a site, but that doesn't mean no revenues can be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Revenue would be possible if there was value add - e.g. royalty free quality samples, good content (tech articles, musician/mixer/producer interviews), tech support, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

squibs wrote:
    Revenue would be possible if there was value add - e.g. royalty free quality samples, good content (tech articles, musician/mixer/producer interviews), tech support, etc.

Excellent point squibs. The contributors would have to agree to share the rights to their works or waive any rights they have to uploaded loops or samples - but that would be the point of the forum, that people contribute as per their ability and download a sper their need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

This seems to be the usual method for licensing free-for-all content:
    http://creativecommons.org/

• Advertisement
Advertisement