Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there a niche market for GPS vehicle tracking technology?

• 08-03-2007 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Trying to be creative, would you suggest niche markets for GPS vehicle tracking technology (apart from taxi, public transport or stolen vehicles)?

I am doing a project on entrepreneurship class (I am stuck a the moment) and would appreciate your suggestions. They can be as crazy as the world itself! Thank you. Radooo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Crazy suggestion beyond all reasonable bounds of sanity?

Sneaky GPS unit put into the car of a suspected cheating partner, used by Relationship Detectives to find out if someone is REALLY cheating, or whether they're off to a strip club or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭radooo

Chris, actually it's not a bad idea, but I want to pass my module ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

radooo wrote:
    Trying to be creative, would you suggest niche markets for GPS vehicle tracking technology (apart from taxi, public transport or stolen vehicles)?

Emergency services - directing them to a remote location?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The British government?

Hardly a niche market though seeing as they want to put one in every vehicle in the country for road use pricing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,496 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Roads tolls would be a given I guess. Drive anywhere you like on Irelands toll roads (grr!!) and not need to worry about change.

Another one would be road safety, eg if you do 160kph or more for 30 seconds or higher, you are not overtaking - you are speeding = fine in the post.

Another might be deliveries - pizza, post, courier etc..
    Can you deliver that pizza, flowers for the missus, important documentation to the address where the car with gps identifier xyz is parked.

Pregnant women could ware a gps watch, if they feel onset of contractions and their partner isnt around, they press a button and a medical baby team is on the spot in minutes!(this one is a little tongue in cheek :p )

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

radooo wrote:

I am doing a project on entrepreneurship class (I am stuck a the moment) and would appreciate your suggestions. They can be as crazy as the world itself! Thank you. Radooo
    I think AXA offered a GPS-based monitoring service to young drivers in return for lower premia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

There is also "pay as you go" insurance offered in the UK now, the price per mile differs based on time of use and type of road.

Thank you guys, truly i didn't expect so much response. However, is there a more specific market segment, in which we could utilise this GPS vehicle tracking application? I was thinking about taxi, car hire, and deliveries (maybe Tesco), but all these already exists and thus I would need something more unique, but viable with high potential at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

radooo wrote:
    Thank you guys, truly i didn't expect so much response. However, is there a more specific market segment, in which we could utilise this GPS vehicle tracking application? I was thinking about taxi, car hire, and deliveries (maybe Tesco), but all these already exists and thus I would need something more unique, but viable with high potential at the same time.
    It's in use by taxis and delivery companies, but one inhibitor would be the poor accuracy of the digital maps for Ireland. I've found many examples where my system, bought last year, does not have places in Dublin that were built over five years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭daymobrew

radooo wrote:
    Look at CarrierWeb. They seem to track delivery vehicles. Maybe reading their site will give you ideas for a tangential market segment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

GPS in buses to send their locations and ETAs to bus stop displays. Dublin Bus are bringing this in within the next 50 years.

GPS in young peoples cars so that parents know where they are.

GPS in salesmen's cars because some salesmen are often on the mitch or running their own sideline businesses out of the company vehicles during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 wotsasilencer

we use fleetmaster for the following reasons - perhaps expand these ideas

ensuring that our engineers were where they said they were
    we can tell our clients exactly when the engineer was there, for how long etc.
    we can work out costings of particular contracts based on the mileage done, time on site etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How about traffic congestion? A GPS unit reports where the vehicle is and a central computer works out the traffic conditions. It would require a lot of vehicles to be fitted with the units and could probably be done easier with mobile phone technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Victor wrote:
    How about traffic congestion? A GPS unit reports where the vehicle is and a central computer works out the traffic conditions. It would require a lot of vehicles to be fitted with the units and could probably be done easier with mobile phone technology.
    A pilot for this might be in some cars in the USA. Look at Caltrans (California Department of Transportation IIRC).

Yes, Victor, traffic congestion is a good way, especially when it's linked directly to your account. This will reduce the traffic (less cars on roads=more demand for public transport=improved service); however the problem is there are no that many cars equipped with this gps tracking module.

I was also thinking about home delivery-like Tesco. I think they have problems with on time performance, when it comes to home delivery and this device would be useful or at least the home shopper could see on online tesco map how far his shopping (vehicle) is and if using some algorithm to calculate in what time Tesco car will turn up in front of my door. What u think guys? Is it a good idea?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Victor wrote:
    A potential problem with using phones is that a bus could throw the stats way out.

come on guys... any other good ideas?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Victor wrote:

I was thinking exactly this a few weeks ago. Dublin Bus should do a deal with one of the GPS companies like TomTom, etc.

DB could send the realtime GPS info to the GPS company who would use computer models to calculate traffic conditions and send the info to their customers (Taxi's, truckers, drivers, etc.).

In return DB get their GPS gear subsidised and get to use the traffic info for free. Maybe even make a little extra money out of it.

kbannon wrote:
    A potential problem with using phones is that a bus could throw the stats way out.
    The suggested system would use random individual phones, not all phones.

In any case, it might be useful to use such a system to give buses priority.

Dublin Bus sounds as a great idea, but I am not quite sure about real time traffic information as buses use bus lanes in the city, which do not show real traffic situation since bus lanes are usually faster. What do you think?

I am also trying to think about some other benefits Dublin city can benefit from when having these GPS tracking system on buses. The ones I am aware are following:
    -time of the coming bus displayed on each bus stop (based on calculation)
    -more efficient management of bus fleet (leading to better on-time performance)

Can you think of other benefits to individuals/organisations/city if this device implemented on all buses in Dublin?

Rado

• Advertisement

Realise that Dublin Bus handle 500,000 passengers per day - thats 500,000 customers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Dont know why Insurance companies/ Govt dont fit GPS in all L drivers cars , enabling them to monitor driving habits . Hey why stop at L drivers .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

radooo wrote:
    I am doing a project on entrepreneurship class (I am stuck a the moment)

you project ":D on" entrepreneurship should be how to avoid it - you cant teach that stuff dude!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

sharkman wrote:
    Dont know why Insurance companies/ Govt dont fit GPS in all L drivers cars , enabling them to monitor driving habits . Hey why stop at L drivers .
    I would imagine there are civil liberty issues involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

this sounds like my thesis from last year ???? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

kbannon wrote:
    I would imagine there are civil liberty issues involved.
    This would have to be balanced against the right to civil liberty of the many people killed and injured by irresponsible drivers.

Advertisement