Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never bought the house...Bord Gais think we did???

Options
  • 08-03-2007 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

So I’m not sure if any of you nice Charleslanders can help me, but here’s my grievance…

My partner and I looked at a house in Charlesland Park over a year ago now – it was one of the last releases. We put down the booking deposit to give us thinking time, then decided against it less than a week later. We rang Hooke and MacDonald as soon as we had decided, they didn’t care, they had a big waiting list! We then spent around 2 months trying to get the booking deposit back from Durken…but that’s another story!

So I never really thought about it again until today, when I came back to my desk to find several missed calls on both my mobile and work phone, and an anxious message from Bord Gais. Apparently we were registered as the owners of XXX Charlesland Park, bills had been going out, and the actual owner had rang in, obviously in a state of confusion!

They could not explain where they got my name, my personal phone numbers, any of this information, but put forward the theory that it must have been the estate agents. They have said that they have cleared my information off the system, and hopefully this will be the last I hear of it.

I’m quite annoyed though and feel like complaining to the estate agents as I feel that they should not have shared this information with Bord Gais.

Does anyone know of who was dealing with the sale of the Park from Hooke and MacDonald? Or am I just being a crank and should I let it go?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

When we moved in, the builders had put my name down on all the utilities. I assume it was them anyway, as I dealt with Hooke & McDonald as little as possible. I certainly don't remember my mobile number let alone my work number being sent along to them though.

It seems strange that your name would have been put down within a week of putting down a booking deposit, unless perhaps the house was completed and ready to move into?
    confuddled wrote:
    I’m quite annoyed though and feel like complaining to the estate agents as I feel that they should not have shared this information with Bord Gais.

Does anyone know of who was dealing with the sale of the Park from Hooke and MacDonald? Or am I just being a crank and should I let it go?!

Honestly? Yes - i would leave it go although there are almost definitely Data Protection issues there. It was probably done as a convenience to you, and it seems like it was a very quick resolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭confuddled

I'm inclined to agree Eoin, I don't think there's anything to be gained from following this up, I just thought it was a very odd thing to happen!

I'm guessing our name must have stayed on some paperwork somewhere as the house was nowhere near built at the time - I think we were given a completion date of September? Hopefully I don't have the ESB etc to deal with now!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

confuddled wrote:
    I'm inclined to agree Eoin, I don't think there's anything to be gained from following this up, I just thought it was a very odd thing to happen!

I'm guessing our name must have stayed on some paperwork somewhere as the house was nowhere near built at the time - I think we were given a completion date of September? Hopefully I don't have the ESB etc to deal with now!

Actually, no harm to ring up the estate agent and ask if they did send your details on - if they did, then tell them to ring up any other utilities to get your name off them.

Like I said, this is most probably a breach of the DPA, but it was probably done for your convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

confuddled wrote:
    We put down the booking deposit to give us thinking time, then decided against it less than a week later. We rang Hooke and MacDonald as soon as we had decided, they didn’t care, they had a big waiting list! We then spent around 2 months trying to get the booking deposit back from Durken…but that’s another story!

All of our utility bills are still addressed to my girlfriend. Somehow her name has been crossed with the developers name - Emer 'Durkan'. I think the estate agent just shoves the names through the system without checking.

Who knows they may have screwed up even further and you could even be the proud owner of a few houses in the estate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MrsJ

Confuddled,

I was quite intrigued to read your post as I think I am the owner of the property you are talking about. I am delighted to hear that you have resolved the issue with Bord Gais, as I can now get back to them and set up my account (up until Friday, they still wouldn't discuss the matter much with me, without your authorisation!)

Also just to let you know, all our utility bills are in your name (assuming its the same property) so I am afraid you may be getting more annoying phone calls from ESB, etc.

I hope we can get this issue settled as quickly as possible to avoid any further inconvenience to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭confuddled

Ah no so I have more frustrating conversations to have this week?! Well thanks for letting me know MrsJ - I will definitely get in contact with the estate agents for a bit of a complain in that case! So is it just ESB I should get in touch with or anything else?

PM me and let me know who I should contact - hope you are very happy in your new home by the way

Advertisement