Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Advice

Options
  • 08-03-2007 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

So Im heading to Galway for the first time*, and looking for advice. Wouldve posted in the Galway forum, but seeing as everyone bar me seems to have been on a session there I thought AH might be more appropriate.

How much does it cost to get there return with a student card on the train, and how long does it take? What clubs would you recommend? Unfortunately the crowd Im going with are set on taking the bus eireann, how much is it for students? (not that Im a student anymore, but the old card works about 90% of the time for discounts :) ) If the price difference isnt much Id try and persuade em to take the train.

*: Not technically the first time, there was the Up in Smoke Tour 2004 as it became known (our college mystery tour). By the time we arrived in Galway (very late) we had been drinking etc since 11am. My only two memories of the town are giving it loads in some club to Prodigys Outer Space and falling around Supermacs at 3am.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

last time I took the train to Dublin it was 42 euro or something (no student discount) and bus was 25 I think (again no student discount)

Train was alot more comfortable and you could sleep as you had the leg room and wasn't as noisy as a bus. I think the train took 2.5 hours, can't remember how long the bus took but it seemed like an eternity.

Clubs, hmm depends on what you like really and what night you intend on going out.
    pop/chart clubs: Cp's and downstairs in cuba
    dance: karma and gpo
    rock/metal/possible live band: upstairs in cuba.

Cp's is where hte crowd goes so it's a safe bet on a quiet night but it's expensive to everywhere else. And for some reason these days Karma has a HUGE queue even though I truly dislike it. (spiked drink may cause me to have a biased opinion)
    Pubs, live music would have to be the quays or King's Head. Student pubs would be fibber mcgee's or living room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

train is €27 with student travelcard. one specific to CIE. not any old usit like...

bus is approx 20 i think. go with train. bus is nightmare. stop in every town on the way down.

clubs depends on what you're into.

if you like funky electro dance, try 110 st. in the Vic on Saturday night.

gpo for other dance.

The junction @ the pucan on forster street for techno and drum n bass on saturday night, Gay on Fridays and Sundays and Thursdays.

cuba for dancing and live band upstairs.

cp's (central park) for scoring.

k.

For all your Galway City needs ...

You can get alot of the questions answered there.

Yeah. it'll wake the naaaaaaaaaybours!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Whatever you do don't check into a hotel with a donkey. They don't seem to like that in Galway.

• Advertisement

kraggy wrote:

cp's (central park) for scoring.

It's harder score in CP's than anywhere else. Halo is where it's at.
    The difference in women's attitudes in these 2 clubs is jaw dropping.
    In CP's a simple hello is greeted with snobbery and a luck of disgust from a 1st year arts student from the university (yes because clearly it's a hard course to get into...) whereas in Halo they will at least have the decency to entertain you with a conversation for a few minutes even if you are seriously drunk.
    plus halo has carpets so there!

Well when i was your age, CPs was for scoring. Maybe they just don't like you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Moved from After Hours.

yea that must be it....:rolleyes:

Purely tongue in cheek cal.

When you're older you'll understand. :D

• Advertisement

stop talking to me like your my dad thanks :D

ok son ;)

By the way, can ye see the menu bar at the top of the page?

tis back.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

shane86 wrote:
    How much does it cost to get there return with a student card on the train, and how long does it take?
    Google is your friend
    http://www.irishrail.ie/home/
    http://www.studenttravelcard.ie/travel/irish-rail

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

I don't have a menu bar...

mine keeps coming and going but i think it's just something to do with the server being moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Bonzodog

On a side note, wheres the best place for Live Trad music in Galway?

The Crane? Spanish Arch Hotel? the what-its-name pub opposite the Kings Head?

Monroes on Dominick Street is usually good. It's the big white pub on the corner that says Monroes Tavern. I think it's called Monroes or something.

The Crane is good but i think is a little cramped and maybe dingey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Bonzodog wrote:

the what-its-name pub opposite the Kings Head?

Ti Coli its called , good spot for trad and taffees is across the road.Dont bother with Monrose its terrible,music is amped through a sh1te sound sytem that will make your ears bleed,its horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Bonzodog wrote:

The Crane? Spanish Arch Hotel? the what-its-name pub opposite the Kings Head?

the last trad night i was at in the spanish arch hotel was as traditional as a kebab :(

Advertisement