Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download Music,Movies etc

Options
  • 08-03-2007 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Now before some one goes and says 2 ban the thread or me ... im not looking for links or website or tips on where to download these things. downloading music and movies is illegel. im wondering what do irish laws say about the matter. I know amount of people of download music,movies etc and ive told them if u get caught ur f***ed. But what r the chance of people getting caught. Which Is Worse to use ..P2P or Direct Download(Rapidshare)???? Any Here being Fined or is it just something to scare us ???
    Ive Heard Before That Ur only in risk of gettin fined if ur uploading stuff!!!

Dying To find out more and our local gards couldnt tell me much!!

Sorry About it being in the section but u guys seem 2 know alot
    Niall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

i think the copyright laws are international

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

i heard of a guy in usa getting fined 30000k for two songs 15000k each

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

i heard of a guy in usa getting fined 30000k for two songs 15000k each

To be honest they are not after the small fish..............they will go after people who have a fast connection and who share a load of music all the time, i remember a while ago a 15 year old girl in the US was arrested for sharing over 100Gb of music on Limewire, or another one of those crap P2P services.

Anyone who does download music/films should be aware it is illegal...........but so is smoking cannabis, underage drinking, doing 45KPH in a 40KPH zone............you get my point, i wouldnt be loosing any sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are legal & illegal Music & Video downloads.

Yes some legal are free and some illegal are charged too.

Fines in Ireland for Piracy of Cable, Satellite, Software, Music can be severe and people are fined.

Indeed they prefer to catch the commercial pirates but anyone breaking a law could be prosecuted.

Not all illegal things have the same impact. Underage drinking can destroy your life or someone else's. Cannabis use can contribute to Schizophrenia years later and is proven to damage mental health. Drinking in moderation can improve health and it is not illegal per-se for under age people to drink alcohol. Binge drinking permanently damages health and often leads to dangerous behaviour.

Illegal downloads may not damage your health. But it is a thin end of a wedge. Theft is theft however you rationalise it. Rationalising a small theft today may be the limit of it, but it may lead to rationalising bigger thefts tomorrow as OK.

Oh I sound terrible. Well you did ask. And you really knew the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Here are couple of sites to look at. http://www.slyck.com/ and http://www.eff.org/ ( http://www.eff.org/share/ )

• Advertisement

I beleive in Fair Use. I.E. buying the content once and playing it on anything I like. Sharing it with anyone is not in my opinion fair use. As both a Writer and Programmer there is no future in creative work being free. I need an income from my creative endevours.

I don't belive in DRM or the attitude of RIAA or Millenium act as they stifle fair use.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Although I'm not going to lock this thread, just a warning......first person to start posting links to torrent sites gets a hit with my new ban stick which I've just bought :D

Other then that, feel free to discuss Fair Use and copyright laws etc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Other then that, feel free to discuss Fair Use and copyright laws etc
    Would that discussion not be better somewhere like the Digital Rights forum? Just IMO.

I think so too :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Would that discussion not be better somewhere like the Digital Rights forum? Just IMO.

fair point ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement