Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculating calories in home made goodies

• 08-03-2007 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi All

I noticed some of ye are saying ye calculated the calories in a muffin or flapjack that ye made at home.

How do ye do this? Is it accurate?

Might be better not too though as I love some home made ginger bread, buns cakes etc. And the thing is, my mother makes them all at the same time, using the excuse "sure the oven is on". then of course i'm (brothers and dad & sis & mother incl.) all too willing to eat them all as soon as possible using the excuse "sure they are nicer freshly made"

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I use www.calorie-count.com. There's a place there for entering recipes. You put in the exact ingredients and amount of servings it makes, and it calculates the calories per serving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I use the same link as Faith. I just look up the ingredients separately and get a 'cals per 100g' listing on them in case I want to play around with amounts in my recipes.

It's not going to be accurate to the nth degree, but then again I'm sure your ready-meals packaging from the supermarket, for instance, has an allowable percentage margin of error.

I don't use it obsessively. I wouldn't go calorie counting a roast chicken dinner, for instance. But I do use it if I'm making treats - muffins, madeleines, cakes - the jaimie oliver flapjacks I mentioned in the other thread come out at over 300 calories or somesuch and were about 1.5" square. Now, how easy do you think it'd be to have one of those with a cup of coffee twice in a day?

Never mind that considering all the raving he does for childhood obesity, I really couldn't believe it when I did the calculations...

Advertisement