Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Love Seems

• 08-03-2007 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭

Embraced lovemade bodies lie-
    Resting you and I
    On a bed, pacing a silence

On a table in a jar,
    Flowers sigh and say:
    This is what humans are

Continents, apart in a world,
    Common in that at least.
    Drifting, upheaving past peace.

Discrete, no definition for us
    Words lie between I and you

Our nature is language of divide

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Argie

This is good, I like it.
    I love this:

"On a table in a jar,
    Flowers sigh and say:
    This is what humans are"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭Flattery

This poem is actually not mine, but the work of a more bashful friend. The title "Love Seems" was one I affixed to it without much thought, so if anyone has any suggestions as to a more appropriate title, please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 EdithFloral

yea really like that 2nd verse too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭shiv

Flattery wrote:
    Embraced lovemade bodies lie-
    Resting you and I
    On a bed, pacing a silence

On a table in a jar,
    Flowers sigh and say:
    This is what humans are

Continents, apart in a world,
    Common in that at least.
    Drifting, upheaving past peace.

Discrete, no definition for us
    Words lie between I and you

Our nature is language of divide

Beautiful piece; I like 'pacing a silence' best, and the stanza after that.
    Not sure why the last line is separate, think it works better belonging to the two before it... Would also flow/sound better if it was changed it to you and I instead of I and you.

Please pass on my well done and tell your friend to post! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 will_me

Flattery kindly posted this poem for me (though a kick for calling me bashful), so i think i should reply to the few comments made:
    Nice to hear people appreciate the second verse, though personally i prefer the first(Embraced lovemade bodies lie,with a pun on "lie", to be explained later in the poem). With regards shiv's comment about "pacing a silence", it's interesting as i too liked the phrase (as did flattery) though we both agreed that it doesn't fit the rest of the verse since i'm using a mixed metaphor of sorts which muddies things, loath as i am to admit it, and i'm reluctant to change something i like. I've been wracking my brains for a better phrase while remaining to true to the original "pacing a silence"; the best i can come up with at present i think is
    "Resting ....
    Heart-pacing a silence."
    To directly answer shiv's questioning leaving the last line separate- this was done deliberately, though i think flattery removed a full stop accidentally from the line above it. I think that lack of rhythm or dissonance can be effective, and i was happy to ruin both by the reversal of I and you, and leaving the last line apart in the spirit of what i am trying to say. To me this is a major point of the poem; that what remains intrinsically divided must remain isolated and apart, for all the similarities between components making up a whole. It also was meant to contrast the lazy rhythm and consonance of the first and to underscore the lie. Could be waffle what i'm saying i freely admit.
    Thanks once again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 DamoBrad

oh i reali like this poem.. its got a wonderful image depicted within the storyline... i say storyline because i feel that poems and poetry as of such doesn't jus paint an image or a scene but also depict a runnin course of thoughts and moving imagery..

actually at the moment i'm Listenin to Nine Inch Nails - la Mer and whist readin this poem and listenin to that song paints a fantastic white lighted feelin throughout..

ps: i liked it too

Advertisement