Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrung Radiator Bleed Screw

Options
  • 08-03-2007 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Hi folks
    After performing some work on my centralheating I was bleeding the rads. On a relatively new rad (first time to bleed) the screw wrung. I loosened it out, released the air and then it wouldnt tighten at all.
    I have isolated it by closing the valves at both ends.

Has anyone repaired this sort of problem before ??

thanks
    bbam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Is it the thread on the screw or the thread on the bleeding value (not meant as a profanity). If it the screw only you should be able to source a new one. If it is the valve you should use a die to create a fresh thread on the valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭c ashelmore

I recently bought a repair kit in Davies plumbing,Dublin for similar problem.About 20 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I recently bought a repair kit in Davies plumbing,Dublin for similar problem.About 20 euro.
    What did that kit consist of, and what did you have to do? This is a problem that crops up regularly here, and it'd be nice to be able to point people to a sticky detailing what can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I'd be interested aswell ,it's almost impossible to get bleed screws .Radiator bleed screws are different sizes aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I could do a few photos on how to DIY repair a radiator sometime ,if people though it would be helpful.
    It's something I do when I service a heating system and only takes me about 10-15 minutes to do ,I don't normally charge for doing it ,so I'm not loosing out by sharing it.

Would it be of any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭c ashelmore

Kit consists of a drill bit (to drill out old bleed screw), 2 taps- starter and finisher- plus screw-in piece complete with new bleed screw.Operated by power drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

bbam wrote:
    Hi folks
    After performing some work on my centralheating I was bleeding the rads. On a relatively new rad (first time to bleed) the screw wrung. I loosened it out, released the air and then it wouldnt tighten at all.
    I have isolated it by closing the valves at both ends.

Has anyone repaired this sort of problem before ??

thanks
    bbam
    With some rads the whole fitting can be removed and replaced. If the valve is at the end of the rad, not the back, it is likely that it can be replaced. A valve assembly only costs a euro or two.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

As I hang my head in shame... 15 years of decent proper maintenance out the window !!
    I brought home a tube of commercial loctite used for sealing nuts/studs against vibrating loose.
    I backed out the bleed screw applied the loctite and closed her up. Rad now working fine, hadnt needed to bleed the rad in four years so it should be fine without bleeding for a while more...

Great heat no leaks and no new rad... just my conscience to deal with as we plan to sell next year:o .

Thanks all.

Advertisement