Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone - Opinions!

• 08-03-2007 5:38pm

I'm not entirely sure if something like this has been posted before. Basically I want peoples opinions on the iPhone.

I'm just looking over their website (see here)

Basically, it looks incredible. The features they have- from the internet surfing, to the (supposedly) easy-to-use interface, and even down to it sensors (which detects which way it's being held, i.e. if you're holding it sidewards the display will change to landscape).

But, is it going to be like this? Also, what will it be like once it gets over here? Judging by the features on it, I'm wondering if it will work on all networks, or just some.

Does anyone know how much they might cost when they are *eventually* released over here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kaizersoze123

it's already out of date. its a phone for fashion conscious people, much the like V3. No way im paying big money for a phone that
    a) has an unremovable battery
    b) will not let me install any application i choose
    c) does not support 3G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

its a nice looking phone but not worth the money.Its a hyped phone and wonot be out in ireland for a while.Its well over pried for what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Can we stop making threads about the iPhone until it's actually out? At least use the search feature before posting a new thread. It's not that hard. :D

With that aside, it's really hard to say without it being out. It looks like it'll have several innovative new features like multi-touch, and could be really awesome, especially when the "European" version surfaces next year with 3G, HSDPA, etc.. For now, we'll just have to wait. And comparing it to the V3... *rolls eyes*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

There will be alternatives:)

That one in particular is hyped to be much better than the iPhone by some. Be interesting to see the next generation of MP3 players with the introduction of phones and cameras included now.

Seems cowon are trying out the "multi-touch" technology:

and more info here.

I wont go near an iPhone or the above alternative for one big reason. 8GB is just far too small.

You do realise this is a cheap Chinese knock off? They also make knock off Nokia handsets as well. And yet I still pay more for an authentic Nokia. Maybe I'm a sucker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

You do realise this is a cheap Chinese knock off? They also make knock off Nokia handsets as well. And yet I still pay more for an authentic Nokia. Maybe I'm a sucker.

Maybe you are:p

They seem to have quite a loyal following on their forum, I wouldn't "knock" it just yet;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

It seems to me like the whole world has gone iPhone crazy. I myself won't even consider getting one until next year when it gets 3G, more than 8 GB flash memory, etc.. And even then, I'll only get it if it's significantly better than Nokia.

When it comes to phones, I have to admit I'm a big Nokia fan, with Sony Ericsson as a close second.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I'll have a look when they eventually arrive here, which I would say will be 2008 earliest (with 3G). Some ok features, but not enough imo, they will be a fair way behind the likes of the N95 when it comes out.

I'll be interested to see how hard it is to text on it, reports on the LG prada are that it is hard.With all the screen issues they have had with ipods I'm doubtful that they can get a large touchscreen right in first couple of efforts.

I'm in no doubt that it will sell quicker than they can stock it when it comes out, whether it turns out to be good or no..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I for one couldn't care less that it doesn't feature 3g. However, i can't live without physical buttons. The inability to change batteries is a terrible design decision. And the price at 600 dollars (for a dumbphone), is crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I for one couldn't care less that it doesn't feature 3g. However, i can't live without physical buttons. The inability to change batteries is a terrible design decision. And the price at 600 dollars (for a dumbphone), is crazy.

I wouldn't be bothered much about 3G myself except for the fact that a lot of the iphone features are crippled without it (if not near Wi-fi hotspot), it's graphics/web/video/maps all look great but would take forever to load on anything but 3G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

I heard it makes you tea and toast in the mornings.....

Pointless to debate really until its out stateside and people have put it thru its paces, "homebrewed" with the "OSX" software and basically hack it into a useful device.

Reports suggest that it will be 3G enabled when it reaches EU shores as most of the EU is 3G based.. if they had any sense they would put a HSDPA chip in it.. but then we'd hold on to it longer before absolutely positively needing to upgrade as soon as an upgraded model comes out.. and their "disposable bic" sales trap would be nullified...

Apple are taking a gamble in the phone market..as it will impinge also on their ipod growth. I was expecting a widescreen ipod in Jan.. we got a jack of all phone with a paltry 8GB of storage. No sign of them putting a 3D chip in the 80 or (future) 100GB ipod to run the coverflow graphics et al for a while .. at least not until the iphone has shipped its first million or so..

So we wait... the iphone is serious eye candy ...and snazzy ...and will be perfect for casual music listeners ...and talkers.. texters and smartphone lovers need not apply just yet... and the latter hinges on what Apple aim to provide in the way of application porting and support for the OSX kernal in the iphone. Probably not much as they concentrate on shipping units.. it will be left to diehards and hackers to exploit the iphones potential.

PS..Apple never supply removable batteries as they don't plan on you holding on to your current model that long.. )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 andrewm1986

If I can't develop my own programs or it doesn't support J2ME, not interested...

Price isn't an issue for me, it seems worth it.

Oh also it can't be locked to a provider, I want to choose my own tarif!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,375 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I think it might be what some people are looking for, but wouldn't suit me i think. Ignoring the cost which seems very high, but will come down a bit after a while, i think for a phone device it's too large, holding it up to the face it looks a bit awkward. As a music player and especially video player, the memory would be an issue for me. The camera is not up the same spec as other high end phones. The user interface and input method look interesting, but I don't see it offering any huge advantages over button control and input. I'd be looking for smaller device with more features, not a bigger device with what are mostly average features

Advertisement