Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drogs in trouble?

• 08-03-2007 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

"By pushjing the project back 18 months to two years in would effectively result in Drogheda United losing their playing licence, putting the club out of the League and out of Business. We can finance the club for another year but time is running out"
    "It is costing us 50,000 a week - every week we loose"

The above was said by the Drogs owner in some newspaper today. Is this stadium actually going to happen, or are Drogs headed the way of Shels?

How can any club in the eL afford to lose €50k per week? Surely that is in breach of the 65% rule?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

65% of income as pointed out by Bohs fans if you have the money you can pay whatever you want.

The stadium isnt the problem its the small matter of the 5000 houses and complete town they building. Drogs just drumming up support from anyone by painting a gloomy picture, the developers have the money, but obviously would prefer to get a start on building it.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Drogs are trying to play the media against the county council to force through a development. If the stadium isn't built in a year (which it won't be) Drogs can put 1,300 seats into united park to meet the UEFA deadline, UCD have already done that with Belfield Park as a safety net in case the new stadium isn't ready in time.

By playing the 'county council will put us out of football' card Drogs are hoping to force the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

ive said this before on here, that the drogs are in danger of going the way of shels.

however, i was told by drogheda fans that it was impossible and would never happen, sure what would i know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

It's Meath County council isn't it?

Ooops ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

they were told if the the new complex had an access road to the M1 there would be no problem with planning permission so they provided the road but now there is more red tape. I dont think i will start to worry just yet but if the council keep stalling it would be such a shame to lose out on a great oppertunity for the club. Even if it doesnt go ahead i am sure something will be to united park and we will not be el busto. That is just wishfull thinking for some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

redzerdrog wrote:
    That is just wishfull thinking for some people.
    Including your club chairman who said it in today's papers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Just recieved this shít in my email. Why whoever sent it thinks I care is beyond me
    Message from Vincent Hoey – Chairman Drogheda United.

Over the past two years Drogheda United have been putting together a plan for a Sports Village incorporating a new 10,000 seater Stadium with all modern facilities, A leisure Complex including Astro Turf Pitches, a Swimming Pool, Tennis Courts, Basketball Courts, Gymnasium, a Multiplex Cinema and twenty acres of sports fields which will be the site of a Football Academy with FAI approval for the region.

The stadium has been assured of approval for Under 21 and Under 18 Internationals which will have Sky Sports coverage.

The Stadium will of course be available for the playing of European and UEFA Cup matches. All of the above is being provided following lengthy negotiations by the developer in conjunction with a new road and housing development. I emphasise that the facilities will be open to all sports.

This is a unique and visionary project that will be a jewel in the North East. It will give the youth a place to enjoy healthy pastimes in modern conditions.

The lands have been acquired.

The Developer has been sourced.

The finance is guaranteed.

The builder is ready to start work.

For me it is a dream ready to come true. The project will cost 35 million. The Meath Co. Co. are being asked to support a variation in the Development plan to enable us to proceed. Time is of the essence. If the County Councillors do not support this then the whole development will be put in jeopardy. The future of Drogheda United and all its plans is in the hands of the County Councillors. The club must vacate its present ground at the end of this season and wont be given a UEFA licence. It consequently will be out of football. The councilors need to be assured of the public support for this project.

In the first instance the necessary variation requires the approval of the 5 East Meath Councillors.

Please contact your area Councillor and indicate your support. The meeting of the five Councillors is next Wednesday 14th March.

Please Act Now. Play your part in making this dream become a reality.

Thank you for your help and support.

Below please find the list of East Meath Councillors.

Address and Email Address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The stadium has been assured of approval for Under 21 and Under 18 Internationals which will have Sky Sports coverage.

We don't have an under-18 international team, except the schools' team, and Sky don't cover their games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

we dont have a senior team either but sky do cover them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

redzerdrog wrote:
    we dont have a senior team either but sky do cover them

:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement