Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths - Higher or Ordinary?

Options
  • 08-03-2007 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

For statistics' sake...

Maths - Higher or Ordinary? 50 votes

Higher
    0% 0 votes
    Ordinary
    100% 50 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭adamcp

Higher but it's really getting difficult now because our teacher has been away for most of this year, if I do absolutely terrible in the mocks I may reconsider my options.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Ol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Well there seems to be an extraordinary amount of NERDZ on these forums so I thing the results will be somewhat biased.
    Needless to say, Higher level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

If I was doing Higher I'd be looking at a D2 at the max and it'd eat up so much time that could be spent studying other subjects. As such, Maths is the only ordinary level subject I'm doing. The course is far more managable and I'll probably end up with higher grades in my other subjects as a result.
    Best decision I ever made :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

Higher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

H

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Higher. Tis great, we have a really small class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Higher
    ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    Well there seems to be an extraordinary amount of NERDZ on these forums so I thing the results will be somewhat biased.
    Needless to say, Higher level.

That's the biggest load of bollocks... Being a 'nerd' doesn't affect your ability at maths... Plenty of nerds do OL, plenty of normal people do HL...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Higher. Tis great, we have a really small class.

Is it as small as my 4-in-the-class class? That number set to fall come Mock results time:D

I'm doing Higher, just need to work on it more before June, know I'm able for it. Would be quite risky dropping down, as I'm already doing Ord. Physics and Irish

Mushy wrote:
    Is it as small as my 4-in-the-class class? That number set to fall come Mock results time:D
    Ah, we have 7. Only 3 in the physics class though! : p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

10 in mine, down from over 20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Ironically there is only 17%doing math overall... we must be the smart ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Ordinary Level.

I slogged it out untill about mid way of last year though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

LC Class of 2001 advice; I did higher myself, got a D1 and didn't even need it for points or course entry requirements.
    With hindsight (a great thing indeed!) I can safely say doing Higher was a waste of time for the most part, considering I spent almost half my study time on it to end up with my lowest grade of all! It was of some use in 1st year of college but most people had only pass and they all did fine in the end.

To cut a long story short, unless you really need it as a course reqt say for Engineering or something I don't see the point of putting yourself through all that stress for nothing. I know one thing for sure if I was back 6 years I certainly wouldn't have bothered with HL Maths...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Ordinary level, dropped down at the start of 6th year, I could do honours and probably pass it but it was taking WAY too much time to study it, it was exhausting, i decided to do ordinary level which is fine, ill probably get an A1 and now i can concentrate on other subjects more.

I think a student capable of an OL A1 would beat a C3 with lesser effort in HL? What do you all think? Though I suppose it is a hard call...

I was convinced I was dropping back after the pre, and barely focused on maths at all for it, but now I'm certain I'm staying in... An A1 in pass was tempting but I think I'd get the C2 or C1 in hons with a little effort, and if not I'd at least get the C3

Hmmm, i'll admit i found it very difficult in honours. exam papers....past a's i could do, b's would be tough and c's i would not have a chance. Im not sure, it would just take WAY too much time to get a C in honours. Id be happy with 60 points from OL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Higher. It's the easiest subject I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Honours, really good math teachers in my school though, so tis all good.

Id be happy with 60 points from OL.

This is the dangerous things about Pass Maths. The 60 points from an OL A1 is great but not as easily achievable as many think... (not picking on you Limerick Dude, lol)

Nearly everyone I seem to meet in Pass Maths acts like an A1 is a breeze... Even if they were to get A2s, that's still quite a drop at 10 points down

Yes md99 i get what your saying, i know for sure that I didnt get an a1 in my mock, but thsi was mainly due to my lack of study, i winged it pretty much, i had to concentrate cramming for other subjects like physics and economics.
    I know if i put in a bit of work i can get an a1 in OL maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I did PASS out of laziness and I got an A1. Ten years later it still haunts me for jobs etc. If you can do Honours, do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cheerio

I'm in higher, and I'm fairly sure I've failed my mocks. Yet my teacher says if I did ordinary I'd get an A1 or A2. I think I can manage to go up to a D1 by the leaving, and I don't want to move to move to ordinary because I'd really need an A1, and I could easily get an A2.

i'm surprised by the 72% statistic..

Maybe it's not a complete load of bollocks after all? : )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I dropped down to OL in november

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

cheerio wrote:
    I'm in higher, and I'm fairly sure I've failed my mocks. Yet my teacher says if I did ordinary I'd get an A1 or A2. I think I can manage to go up to a D1 by the leaving, and I don't want to move to move to ordinary because I'd really need an A1, and I could easily get an A2.

Everyone in my class failed the pre's and 1 dropped down and all the rest of us passed...the worst pre result was something like 13% and the best was 39%...I got 37% and got a C3 in the real exam...it shows where your weaknesses are so you have time to fix them
    Hmmm, i'll admit i found it very difficult in honours. exam papers....past a's i could do, b's would be tough and c's i would not have a chance. Im not sure, it would just take WAY too much time to get a C in honours. Id be happy with 60 points from OL.

Think I know the school...sounds like the ASR mentality???? who was your honours teach if it is??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

It depends on the person dosen't it.....if your're able for the higher course go for!Personally, if I was having extreme difficulty (which I was) then I'd drop to pass and focus on your other subjects. It's my only pass subject so I dont plan on counting it. I'm so glad I reasised it wasnt happening for mee at the start of 5th year though. Took off so much pressure and extra work!

Does anyone think there's a bit of a snob factor when doing honours maths? I know plenty who are doing it and are either failing or scraping a pass....I think they just like being able to say they do Honours Maths. Having said all that, there's more doing foundation in school then there are doing Honours :D

Advertisement