Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Test drive unlimited

Options
  • 08-03-2007 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone get it? Any good?

Looks good and has decent online features, is there crash damage or is it licenced bouncy cars?

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Played the 360 version, which was licenced bouncy cars.

The game world was technically impressive, but the actual handling wasn't for me at all.

That said, in real life, I crashed by first car within seconds of starting it for the first time, so don't listen to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

XB360 version
    No crash damage, not quite sim handling but much better than arcade type handling, its not NFS Carbon or Ridge racer.

The Island of O'ahu is the star,(u can drive around Pearl Harbour) it will take you hour hour and half to drive flat out 180/200mph to 'lap' the island.its Sat naved like google earth. Distances are real time. Bikes are cool too.

Top Tips on two way streets drive on the outside edge of the road,dont try to pass in center or far side of road the AI is vicious there will nearly be a car coming on the other side.

quick way to way to earn cash, do the car deilivery missions, always 70/90K do them prefectly u should get $150,000
    buy a SaleenS7/Ferrari Enzo as first A class car, then tune it to the max.
    Overall good game 7.5/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

I liked it at first but gave up on it as some of the missions were just too f*cking difficult, the hitch hiker ones in particular. Traded it about a week after i got it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wonderful game, but you have to stick at it, if you have BB then its even better, its a title thats as much about just getting into a fast car and driving as it is about taking part in competitions.
    PS2 version looks good as well, may well pick one up, if only to see how much they will manage to squeeze in.
    Actually the series is a return to the Test Drive games roots on the Amiga, that team went on to make The Need For Speed on the 3DO, later translated to the PS, that was a fine game, and TDU feels quite similar.
    The cops in TDU are feckers though, nice and easy to lose intially but later on right biggers and then when they catch you, take all your money, Arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Gonna get it for PC this weekend, just really hate bouncy licenced cars ruins what could be a good car game by allowing you to not fear anything. NFS is a bitch for it as you can use walls to get round corners without losing much speed.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

looking forward to this one myself. 1st time ive been interested in a driving game since I was 15.

The whole online thing seems so cool. I'm told it works a little like an mmo? with loads of ppl on the island driving around?

Also, when is it out????

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

I've pre-ordered mine from play, its released this friday (16th) but its already out in other parts of europe. Atari have a digital download but there was a few issues with it and when I tried to order I could only select US.

Its an MMO, but from what I read you can only see 8 people at a time. Im not completely sure about this though. I know you can race up to 8 people so maybe thats just some confusuion and the roads are filled with players.

I have aquired it by other means for offline messing about till my copy comes and even offline its great fun. I just hope all the offline cars and houses i'v bought can be used when I get online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 streetryder

its a great game by far, i have it and play it all the time with thousands of miles on the island, you have so many cars to choose from and also able to set up your own car/bike club,
    check out the site below and join up if u need any info :)

its a great game by far, i have it and play it all the time with thousands of miles on the island, you have so many cars to choose from and also able to set up your own car/bike club,
    check out the site below and join up if u need any info :)

Can you buy extras for your cars? So far I've got the custom paint shop and bought a tuning kit but can you buy new wheels and spoilers and things like that. Would like to make my shelby gt500 into an elanor :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But how does the PS2 version compare to the 360 edition?
    Thats what I want to know, where does it differ?
    Have they tidied up and improved anything, does the PS2 version suffer at all in comparison?

• Advertisement

well I would guess it suffers in graphics and online gameplay anyway.

I read the other day there that the psp and PS2 versions dont have bikes in them, and have less cars.. I think it was on the wiki.

Anyone get this yet for the PC yet? It quite good, although I can't get the muliplayer aspect of it working. Oh and dont be fooled, the idea of there being loads of other players drving around at the same time as you isnt true. You can only see 8 ppl at a time from what I can see. Can they randomly appear disapear, making it hard to meet up with friends etc... shame.

But apart from that its good, I just have a lot of fun simply driving around aimlessly a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Cunny-Funt wrote:
    I read the other day there that the psp and PS2 versions dont have bikes in them, and have less cars.. I think it was on the wiki.

Anyone get this yet for the PC yet? It quite good, although I can't get the muliplayer aspect of it working. Oh and dont be fooled, the idea of there being loads of other players drving around at the same time as you isnt true. You can only see 8 ppl at a time from what I can see. Can they randomly appear disapear, making it hard to meet up with friends etc... shame.

But apart from that its good, I just have a lot of fun simply driving around aimlessly a lot of the time.

I have it for the pc and cant find the option to use a controller rather than a keyboard. Can anyone shed some light on this ?

huh? you just change the buttons....

I was even playing with a joystick there for awhile till I bought a pad.

Cunny-Funt wrote:
    huh? you just change the buttons....

I was even playing with a joystick there for awhile till I bought a pad.

I must be really stupid but I cant seem to see how this is done ?

go to options then controls, then just change the buttons..

Example: Change brake from down on your keyboard to a button on your pad by clicking on it then by pressing the button on your pad. Its the same way you change controls in almost every game.

I'm using a PS2 style pad for this game and I use the right stick for accelerate (by pushing forward) and break (pushing it backward) and the left stick for stearing.

This way gives me more control imo as if I just used buttons I would be fully accelerating or breaking hard all the time which isnt how you drive.

Cunny-Funt wrote:
    go to options then controls, then just change the buttons..

Example: Change brake from down on your keyboard to a button on your pad by clicking on it then by pressing the button on your pad. Its the same way you change controls in almost every game.

I'm using a PS2 style pad for this game and I use the right stick for accelerate (by pushing forward) and break (pushing it backward) and the left stick for stearing.

This way gives me more control imo as if I just used buttons I would be fully accelerating or breaking hard all the time which isnt how you drive.

Ah yes, I was looking for an option to change from keyboard to controller. Might give the analog as acelerate a go too. What do you use for right & left, left or right analog ? (im using ps2 controller aswell)

the left stick for right and left, I use the d-pad for looking about my car. ALthough at a flick of a button (the one between the two sticks) I can use the d-pad for steering. There isnt a huge difference but I still much rather using the left stick to steer.

However using the right stick for breaking and accelerating works so fkin well I can't say it enough. I love it!! :cool:

I guess if you wanted you could use the right stick for both steering and driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Am I the only one that was decidedly unimpressed with this game? Played it for about 2 hours last night on the PC with graphics settings maxed out (although I had to choose between HDR and AA because of my nvidia) and it bored me to no end. Sure the cars look nice, but this bouncy car crap really is getting old, and maybe i'm not far enough into the game yet, but are there police on the roads for when you crash and break a red light or something?

I'm currently playing NFS:Carbon (good, but not as good as Most Wanted) and a helluvalot of Flatout 2 (great game, almost as good as Burnout for the Xbox) and then I heard about TDU, screenshots looked good so I gave it a shot... but in game the graphics look worse than Most Wanted, and the gameplay is on par with Outrun 2006 (I know, some people liked this game, I hated it) I'll give it another shot tonight, but I really can't see the main appeal of this game, its far from a real world driving sim and far from a fun racing game... don't really know how to categorise it?

L31mr0d wrote:
    Am I the only one that was decidedly unimpressed with this game? Played it for about 2 hours last night on the PC with graphics settings maxed out (although I had to choose between HDR and AA because of my nvidia) and it bored me to no end. Sure the cars look nice, but this bouncy car crap really is getting old, and maybe i'm not far enough into the game yet, but are there police on the roads for when you crash and break a red light or something?

I'm currently playing NFS:Carbon (good, but not as good as Most Wanted) and a helluvalot of Flatout 2 (great game, almost as good as Burnout for the Xbox) and then I heard about TDU, screenshots looked good so I gave it a shot... but in game the graphics look worse than Most Wanted, and the gameplay is on par with Outrun 2006 (I know, some people liked this game, I hated it) I'll give it another shot tonight, but I really can't see the main appeal of this game, its far from a real world driving sim and far from a fun racing game... don't really know how to categorise it?

The cops come after you and fine you for how much damage you have done. Theys et up road blocks etc. I am liking the game. Im not mad into cars but theres something about the cars in the game that feels v.real. They feel powerful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

Its a fun racing game to me! :D

I have had crap experience with this game.

1st I pre-ordered it from play (ended up stolen or lost) so 2 weeks after it was shipped (which was 2 days before it was released) I had to buy a copy in xtra vision.

Got it, had to make a new profile someone using my name already (Booooo!!!)
    Then my cousin who got his copy the day it came out was waiting for mine to come so we could play together.

Tonight we finally get on at the same time and 2 hours later we can't find each other in game - oh we can see each other on the map but god forbid it would actually load us in when were in our cars.

I should have stuck with the download and just played it offline.

rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭BazMcG

Personally think this game is excellent. Put the graphics up full and i think they're great. You gota use the wheel and pedals to get the most out of it tho. Dont know about the console version but im sure its nowhere near as good as the PC. Such a fun game :D

For a more realistic game GTR2 is amazing!! Buy it!

P.S. Try driving from the bottom of the island to the top, me and a mate tried did it once, lol very hard going flat out!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's only €27.99 on play.com right now...

Advertisement