Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to eat on campus

• 08-03-2007 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

Ive a strong feeling this has been asked befor but where is every1's favourite place to get a decent lunch on campus? Im talkin like a proper feed now.
    I got the burger at lunchtime in elements recently and thats swingin my vote slightly, although i think they only do it on a thursday/friday as they close early those days.
    Well?

Where's your favourite place for a good feed?? 53 votes

Elements
    0% 0 votes
    Student bar
    56% 30 votes
    Forum bar
    22% 12 votes
    Restaraunt
    7% 4 votes
    Cafe java(ughh)
    7% 4 votes
    Other
    5% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

It's called Brava.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Apart from my own cooking of course, I'd go with elements or the downstairs restaurant. Neither are exactly top class but they have to do. Elements is a bit pricy for what you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭JimmNeutron

elmyra wrote:
    It's called Brava.
    Sorry, my mistake, haha. I dont go there very often:D
    Scraggs wrote:
    Apart from my own cooking of course, I'd go with elements or the downstairs restaurant. Neither are exactly top class but they have to do. Elements is a bit pricy for what you get.
    Wat you mean apart from your own cooking?? do ya live on campus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I like elements cos its open late and is delicious

And I LOVE the grind-€3 huge sambos! Whats not to love

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Upstairs in the Restaurant if I have too

Hilpers = **** & Expensive
    911 = ****test 911 in Ireland, Rude staff, Crap Coffee and Overpriced
    Brava = Good Stuffin your face food but crap. Poor RDS gig quality
    Student Shop = Dr Doolittles?WTF.Made from recycled old sambos. Rbt Rbt's

what time is Elements open till?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

you gotta pay for decent food. elements all the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

O'Briens
    The Grind
    Student bar

in that order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

Where's the O'Briens option? Clearly the best! I only discovered elements last week after 3 and a half yrs in UCD, typical. It's amazo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

JustCoz wrote:
    Where's the O'Briens option? Clearly the best! I only discovered elements last week after 3 and a half yrs in UCD, typical. It's amazo
    Elements was only opened as elements this year, previously it was the science canteen and wasn't great.

I'd go for O'Briens followed by the Grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Insomnia is pretty good too. The paninis are yum. Though as with all nice places in UCD (O'Briens and Elements) it's pretty pricey.

On the cheap, the Grind and Cafe Brava all the way. They might slowly kill you, but the chips from Cafe Brava are pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

3 cheeseburgers for 3.90 in Brava does the job!

8.50 (i think) for chips and a delicious bacon and cheese burger in Elements.

Elements' green thai chicken curry with naan bread and basmati rice is quite nice too, it's 6.50 and is one of the better choices of food on campus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I was actually thinking of bringing a motion to council, asking them ato investigate the possibility of granting permission for a Chinese to set up on campus. Beef Chow Mein FTW!!!
    But, I think there may be some cartel deal with the current eateries with the college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I'm so going to elements tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

the student bar food is so ****

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Steibhin

The Sports Restaurant provides the best quality to price ratio on campus. Good decent meals (e.g. Backed potateo and chilli con carne with loads of salad for €5) without little waiting time, free water and nice staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

back in the day nothing beat a sausage beans and chips dinner in the restaurant.. and the mean old lunch lady used to stand at the bottom of the steps so everyone had to form an orderely Q!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Bean_Ghrinn

Elements for thai and good on the thighs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I was actually thinking of bringing a motion to council, asking them ato investigate the possibility of granting permission for a Chinese to set up on campus. Beef Chow Mein FTW!!!

Oh if you do that you'll be a ****ing legend!! :)

I only ever eat from the Grind, O'Briens and the odd roll from Centra, everywhere else is **** except the upstairs restaurant which is both **** and outrageously expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

O' Briens
    Student Bar (solely the chicken of the day, everything else is crap)
    Elements

In that order. If I'm in 9-5 I usually eat from one of the above and have 2 meals prepared from home that I eat. In terms of healthy options, apart from carefully choosing brown bread sandwich ingredients, there's very little available.

Also, that asian woman who works in O'Bs is a disaster. When I asked for no mayo and some mustard, she wiped her spreader knife on one of the slices of bread to clean it! I complained, and it took another member of staff to explain to her that I didn't want ANY mayonaise on my sandwich.

If you can't speak english, you shouldn't be working here, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

mloc wrote:
    O' Briens
    In that order. If I'm in 9-5 I usually eat from one of the above and have 2 meals prepared from home that I eat.

Woah you eat three meals from 9 to 5? Never understand how guys can eat so much.Went to elements with my brother the other day and he had soup,spaghetti bolonagse as well as finishing of my chicken. Then he had two donughts in 911 and he was still hungry?!

Elements is my fav but I love downstairs in the main restaurant too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

well, its more like 6 meals really, 8.30, 11.30, 2ish, 5ish, 8ish, and around 10.30 so six I guess in a day.

They're not big meals, just small ones broken up between the day. UCD should really be giving people more information on healthy eating; I guess it's hard to do that when all the campus food is, for the most part, really terrible when it comes to balanced diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

panda100 wrote:
    Woah you eat three meals from 9 to 5? Never understand how guys can eat so much.Went to elements with my brother the other day and he had soup,spaghetti bolonagse as well as finishing of my chicken. Then he had two donughts in 911 and he was still hungry?!

Not all guys are built like the ox that is your brother ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Elements is nice, i love their thai green curry, though only go there if i have a good few quid on me, every other day i try the Student Bar. The Food in the forum bar is appauling, there's little variety and the chips are always undercooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

I ate in the restaraunt for the second time ever there on friday and was pleasantly surprised with what i got. It was only half twelve wen i went but they were well stocked with plenty of healthy veg and potatoes and i got a lovely piece of trout. They had some sort of chicken curry there aswel and nice veggie stirfry. I cant see why everyone says such bad things about it????:confused:

Elements have amazing hot chocolate. Everywhere else pales in comparison, though Insomnia in Conway is nice and quiet and edible most of the time!

Is the hot chocolate Starbucks elmyra?

beanyb wrote:
    Is the hot chocolate Starbucks elmyra?

Yup, am I in trouble?

Ha, Starbucks do good hot chocolate. I resent having to pay €1.80 for tea now though. It was only €1.40 before Starbucks came along...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'm sorry, but I don't see what the huge hype about Elements is. I think it's overpriced for what you get and the food is frankly a bit crap. I've tried many different things on the menu and all (except the chocolate muffins, which are beyond comparison to anything available elsewhere on campus and are as good as the ones you get at Chocolate Soup) have been found wanting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Blush_01 wrote:
    I'm sorry, but I don't see what the huge hype about Elements is. I think it's overpriced for what you get and the food is frankly a bit crap. I've tried many different things on the menu and all (except the chocolate muffins, which are beyond comparison to anything available elsewhere on campus and are as good as the ones you get at Chocolate Soup) have been found wanting.

It certainly was hyped up a lot and although I love the burgers and thai curry dishes, the other stuff I've tried such as the pizza and bangers and mash have been fairly crap but compared to the other restaurants I definitely prefer it.

Have you found the food in Elements wanting in comparison to the other restaurants? I think it's the best of a bad bunch tbh.

Advertisement