Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to eat on campus

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Just had a lovely burger in Elements.
    It's not exactly the best place in the world and for what you get, it's overpriced, but such is the fare on campus that's it's my first choice when I have the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'd still go for Ratatouille in the restaurant over Elements. And I dislike the restaurant intensely.

What really irritates me most about Elements is the virtual absence of anything vegetarian. At least the restaurant makes a nod to vegetarianism. I'm not vegetarian myself, but I don't always want meat, I like to have the option to eat something other than a baked potato, salad, chips or garlic bread when I'm not in the mood for meat. Also, I've had nicer frozen burgers at home than the ones in Elements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

O Briens wins hands down in my book

€4.95 for a bacon and chicken tripledecker with cheese is more satisfying than a student bar meal, plus they dont charge u extra if u ask for brie cheese :)

And if you are feeling a little more savoury, the bacon and brie toasted shambo is very nice, not filling and a tad expensive though.

Negative points would be the queues can be quite long and there is sometimes a lack of seating, plus its feckin miles from the eng block :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Upstairs in the restaurant is good for breakfast in the morning.Nothing like a good fry up.

For lunch I'll usually have a sandwich from the Grind or pizza and wedges from the downstairs restaurant.

For dinner if I'm in UCD I'll have chips with a few eggs and bacon.I haven't been to Elements yet.I keep meaning to go and I will if I'm in UCD this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Chakar wrote:
    Upstairs in the restaurant is good for breakfast in the morning.Nothing like a good fry up.

For lunch I'll usually have a sandwich from the Grind or pizza and wedges from the downstairs restaurant.

For dinner if I'm in UCD I'll have chips with a few eggs and bacon.I haven't been to Elements yet.I keep meaning to go and I will if I'm in UCD this week.

Nice to see you go for the healthy option!!!

I see the "Other" category has a fair few ticks. I can think of O'Briens in Health Sci, Insomnia in the Conway, the new place where the sports bar used to be. Where else can you actually eat on campus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

After the 5 listed... The Grind, 911, Insomnia in Quinn, Insomnia in Conway, O'Brien's in Health Sci, canteen in Roebuck, Centra at Merville, The Arts Cafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

I didnt realise how many different places there were to eat on campus!! I was so curious i even checked out the auld website. There are loads more than i realised. Check it out: http://www.ucd.ie/catering/facilities.html
    Now theres something to do any long lunch breaks....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I never knew there was an Insomnia in Nova! I must check it out, that's right behind my house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

I would have to go for Elements for a meal (including breakfast) and O'Brien's for a sandwich.

Both are also close to my office in the Physics building :)

In my opinion the quality of the food in Elements is superior to any of the other food places, although you might not get as much. I prefer quality over quantity.

Insomnia also have nice sandwiches, but you can't get them made for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Nice to see you go for the healthy option!!!

Yeah especially the dinner when I'm in UCD in the evenings.I don't really have the breakfasts in the upstairs restaurant like every morning, probably twice a week I'd say.

I usually go for the sandwiches for my lunch but sometimes I like to have something more substantial.

Note to self:Go to Elements!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Only 5 places sprung to mind?

Home cooking, not mine though! Ive a few friends who live on campus who cook for groups regularly.

The bar, tiny bit better than the restaraunt and cheaper.

Centra. Charged by the weight so be careful. I *think* I remember in first year shorter opening hours and a smaller selection. Im almost certain I remember complaining about having nowhere to eat on campus after 8pm and no breakfast rolls (now available in the bar as well).

Food on campus is definitely getting better, what with elements and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 snuffles84

elements by a country mile.
    the staff are friendly, the food good and they have heard of a little thing called presentation...

but if you just want a roll its got to be the grind over obriens cos it's cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 smallthing

The Grind!! Clearly! A sandwich for €3 with however many toppings u can dare to ask for! Ya cant really go wrong! N for those a u that dont no wer it is, it's by the chemist in d student centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

smallthing wrote:
    The Grind!! Clearly! A sandwich for €3 with however many toppings u can dare to ask for! Ya cant really go wrong! N for those a u that dont no wer it is, it's by the chemist in d student centre

O'Briens, 3.50 for one meat and three salads, and that includes smoked salmon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 smallthing

Yeah but in the grind you can have as many meats and as many salads as u want! N smoked salmon is wated on a sandwich anyway....

Poverty has lead me to eating in the restaurant this week. The chips taste like cardboard.

The canteen in the place I work is run by the same company and theymanage to put out much better food (at slightly more expensive prices for visitors but cheeper ones for staff). I can't understand why the ucd restaurant has to be so bloody awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

The food in UCD sucks. By far the funniest aspect of it all is 9-11 where one feels like a terrorist upon entry. Dost thou darest purchase something from us? Mixed with the fact that nobody understands each other in the place, and the whole experience might drive you mad. This is probably why I spend so much money in the Student centre restaurant wherein I slowly kill myself by eating chips and chicken nuggets. I used to eat in the Student Bar or Forum quite a lot, but being po' I have had to downgrade. Soon I will invent a pill that is compressed chips and chicken nuggets so that I do not even have to leave the library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

What company runs the food in the UCD restaurant? When does their tenure end? I say protest :) Its not like anything else has worked

911 just takes forever. Its horrible

We have some good places though, but we don't get the luxury of just going into town or something

gubbie wrote:
    What company runs the food in the UCD restaurant? When does their tenure end? I say protest :) Its not like anything else has worked

Campbell's Catering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Campbell's Catering

Really? They do the canteen in Dublin City Council which is sooooo much better, cheaper too but thats cause it's subsidised, even minus the subsidies it wouldn't be much more expensive at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

elements is the best.

sure it's a tad expensive but the portions are large enough to satisfy anyone.

the new evening menu has been much welcomed by me.

i'm not too sure of the starbucks coffee though...FAIRTRADE all the way if u ask me.

Advertisement