Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Long range wifi reception

• 08-03-2007 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am attempting to set up a long distance (750m max) wifi link using 2.4ghz kit.

Before I purchase any equipment, I am looking for some advice.

As I see it I have a few options :-

a) 2 x flat panel antennas.

b) 1 x omnidirectional antenna & 1 x parabolic antenna.

c) Built in antenna of wireless router & high gain parabolic antenna.

Do I need to use an access point at the remote end or can I just connect the antenna directly to a PCI wifi card?

Does a wifi card have less output power than an AP, I presume it does but would the difference be offset by the gain of the antenna.?

Does "line of sight" really mean uninterupted line of sight with no obstructions?

Has anyone here got any experience with experimenting or implimenting this sort of point to point link that they could share?

Thanks in advance.

crumble

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

All I can asy is I have a dlink DGL 4300 router, its their top of the line gaming router . I am using standard dlink wireless g cards in two pc's with it. I am struggeling to get it form my bedroom (upstairs) to the room below and to the side . Directly I would say their is less then 10 meters between teh two points. Granted I do live beside a radio station and I am using a 2.4 Ghz wireless mouse. there are also at least 5 other wireless access points I can pick up, although not through windows I have to use special software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

Hiya,
    I'd go with two flat panels or two parabolics myself.
    The panels will look neater, and won't get misaligned by wind so
    easily if you can wall mount them.
    750m isn't really very far for this kind of link, and in fact the
    easiest mistake to make at that distance is to get antennas
    that have too much gain.
    The higher the gain, the narrower the beam, and the more
    likely they are to miss each other. This is more likely to
    be a problem with a high power omni.

There's a legal limit to the amount of power you can output,
    and ideally there wouldn't be much difference in the output of
    a normal AP and a normal PCI card. YMMV depending on brand.

Good luck with the link.
    See you round,
    NiallB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

If you just want a point to point link you need 2 high-gain parabolics or panels. You should have no trouble at all aiming them. The high-gain/narrow beamwidth will save you picking up unnecessary noise/being an unnecessary source of noise to others.
    I can send you on a few links , i've done a good lot of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Crumble

Thanks for the info guys, any suggestions on sourcing the kit?

I have only found irish wireless at present, ever bought from them?

NiallB, Im working in Navan now so won't see you in Maplins any more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Get the boards ( rb133) and radiocards ( r52s or cm9s )
    from http://www.wirelessconnect.eu

That setup will do 2.4 or 5.x stuff and comes with an OS ready to go , just add antennas and stick it in a small outdoor box

Irishwireless are grand , but avoid OSbridge and Staros like the plague.

Peanut ( on the forums here ) had three 5.8 antennas for sale last week

• Advertisement
Advertisement