Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silverstrand, Galway?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I haven't surfed in Galway so I don't know for sure but looking at that map I'd reckon that the Aran Islands block most of the swell getting in to Galway Bay. It might be worth a look on a straight westerly swell, I'd say if there's any bit of South in the swell you're goosed.
    There's quite a small window for the swell to get in but I've seen places that look a lot worse on maps get swell quite consistently.

Might be worth a look Sunday/Monday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

never seen anybody surfing there, waves never more than a couple of inchesm popular place for windsurfing alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

yeah same as. it's the 1.5 hour trek to Lahinch or Sligo.
    Another forum mentioned a place in Mayo called Carrowniskey, anyone heard of it
    http://www.beachwizard.com/beach.asp?country=Ireland&beachid=2018

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Yeah, its the 5 minute drive from my house that really really appeals to me... I'll have a look over the weekend, there's supposed to be a big westerly swell so that might be a good time to check it out.

The closest decent spot to Galway city I know of is Fanore... can anyone suggest any good spots in West Galway or Mayo, as learnerplates said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭g-punkteffekt

well there's Achill island. Keel strand is good, and if conditions are bad there there's a beach at the north of the island facing a different way which might work better. Also heard there are some good spots on Belmullet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

cornbb wrote:
    Yeah, its the 5 minute drive from my house that really really appeals to me... I'll have a look over the weekend, there's supposed to be a big westerly swell so that might be a good time to check it out.

The closest decent spot to Galway city I know of is Fanore... can anyone suggest any good spots in West Galway or Mayo, as learnerplates said?

Doonlaughan Bay in Ballyconneely? never heard of it but came acroos it from this link:

http://www.connemara.net/words/surfing.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Well I checked Silverstrand a few times since the weekend and it looks like there's no hope there...
    ambasite wrote:
    Doonlaughan Bay in Ballyconneely? never heard of it but came acroos it from this link:

http://www.connemara.net/words/surfing.html

That looks very interesting... I've been doing a little snooping on Google maps, I must take a spin out there some weekend. I'll let ye know if I find a nice spot. Or maybe I won't :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Yeah, nearest to Galway city would be Dunlaughan or Fanore. Silverstrand, well it's hopeless. Nice beach, but not for boardies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭tomombo

there is no surf in galway apart from ballyconeely if you're lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭AnonymousPrime

cornbb wrote: »
    Anyone ever surfed at this spot? Its a small beach, between Barna and Salthill. Someone at work told me its sometimes good, although I dropped by on my way home from work today and the break was tiny. Would be incredibly handy for me though...

Location on Google maps: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=galway,+ireland&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=16&ll=53.250002,-9.124146&spn=0.008448,0.021737&t=k&om=1&iwloc=addr

More chance of catching a wave in salthill (which is none)
    tomombo wrote: »
    there is no surf in galway apart from ballyconeely if you're lucky

Can be a bit localised so be prepared to give away a wave or two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Surrender

yeah same as. it's the 1.5 hour trek to Lahinch or Sligo.
    Another forum mentioned a place in Mayo called Carrowniskey, anyone heard of it
    http://www.beachwizard.com/beach.asp?country=Ireland&beachid=2018

Fantastic surfing beach. Bit of a trek from Galway ~1 hr 45 mins.

Fanore is the closest (~1hr), but it's a messy spot sometimes.

We usually take the Ennis road and turn off for Lahinch - takes around 1hr 25 mins because the Galway-Ennis Rd is the business.

Some spots just north of Doonloughan as well.
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hl=en&msa=0&t=h&msid=203760324139465242595.00044e5f13b9666b12191&ll=53.445535,-9.277954&spn=1.159796,3.56781&z=9

Anyone surfed these?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭lizgal

curious re doonlaughan

Surrender wrote: »

We usually take the Ennis road and turn off for Lahinch - takes around 1hr 25 mins because the Galway-Ennis Rd is the business.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hl=en&msa=0&t=h&msid=203760324139465242595.00044e5f13b9666b12191&ll=53.445535,-9.277954&spn=1.159796,3.56781&z=9

Anyone surfed these?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

cornbb wrote: »
    Anyone ever surfed at this spot? Its a small beach, between Barna and Salthill. Someone at work told me its sometimes good, although I dropped by on my way home from work today and the break was tiny. Would be incredibly handy for me though...

Location on Google maps: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=galway,+ireland&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=16&ll=53.250002,-9.124146&spn=0.008448,0.021737&t=k&om=1&iwloc=addr

Lived in Galway for four frustrating years! There is no surf at Silver Strand. Spiddal gets a wave every now and then on a decent South West swell and North wind. Out left there is a slab and occasionally it barrels too! And there are photos of guys getting barrelled there. Mid tide on the push is best. Also on a low tide straight out maybe 150 yards out there is another slab that works. A board breaker! Very fast.

A friend got waves out in Rossaveal two years back. Near the graveyard is what he said. Yep there's a wave at Doonloughlin but the best wave on mainland Galway is Renvyle. Sucky left in front of castle and a very heavy left by cliff if your fast enough?

Aran Islands are amazing and have world class breaks. Also on a boat trip around Inishboffin and High Island I'm convinced there are more offshore breaks. There is a small island just south of Omey that has potential. Many rocky outcrops out by Renvyle point that have surf. Zodiac or jetski needed!

It ain't Sligo or Doolin but County Galway does have waves.

thanks so much Gingko-great info -appreciated!;)

lizgal wrote: »
    thanks so much Gingko-great info -appreciated!;)

Still better off hitting lahinch area or carrownisky in summer. Just wanted to clarify that there are waves on galway coast even if it is inconsistent and not quite the quality you find in clare, mayo, sligo & donegal. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Surrender wrote: »

Anyone surfed these?

FYI, that map was put together by 2 thundering gob****es who had never even seen a surfboard in their lives let alone know how to give advice about surf spots. Much of the info was copied from other sites badly and the rest was just filler they made up so I wouldn't be taking anything on it as gospel. Stick to wannasurf or the stormrider guide. As bad as they are, the info is generally accurate in them.

Take the Ennis road??? Lot quicker and more scenic through the burren!

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Gingko wrote: »
    Take the Ennis road??? Lot quicker and more scenic through the burren!

There's a quicker cut through the middle of the burren: Kinvara, Kilfenora, Caran, Enistymon, Lahinch.

1hr 10mins from Oranmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

There's a quicker cut through the middle of the burren: Kinvara, Kilfenora, Caran, Enistymon, Lahinch.

1hr 10mins from Oranmore.

That is a truly awful road and should be avoided at all costs. Take the N67 proper or M18 + N85. Your tyres, suspension and constant tractors on the road will thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

Travel that road so much, never a problem

• Advertisement

agreed

Advertisement