Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Upon making a deal for second hand --

Options
  • 08-03-2007 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

What should I get the dealer to check and make sure is right before I take it over?? Tyres, Oil, ie full service, but what about belts etc??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Errr ...

...you don't tell the dealer to check if it's ok (because he'll just tell you that it is) ...you get a mechanic to check the car for you and then you tell the dealer what needs to be fixed or by how much the price needs to be reduced :D

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Dont overlook any dents thinking 'ah I can get that fixed' coz repairs arent cheap and you dont want to shell out more cash. Dont settle for anything unusual, missing radio, missing spare, wobbly headlights, ignore light damage at your cost, go look at a different car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

peasant wrote:
    Errr ...

...you don't tell the dealer to check if it's ok (because he'll just tell you that it is) ...you get a mechanic to check the car for you and then you tell the dealer what needs to be fixed or by how much the price needs to be reduced :D

Totally agree with this advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

agree with the first 2 replies too.
    pay a mechanic 100 euro to take a look and be nice to everybody but don't listen to any nonsense.
    its surprising how helpful people can be if you have a good attitude towards them, you don't have to lower your expectations but it gives you more more leverage if
    a. you know what you're looking at
    b. you can e nice about it.
    and it makes your day easier too.

finally, if it smells fishy then its a fish. walk away, theres plenty more out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

JMSE wrote:
    Dont overlook any dents thinking 'ah I can get that fixed' coz repairs arent cheap and you dont want to shell out more cash. Dont settle for anything unusual, missing radio, missing spare, wobbly headlights, ignore light damage at your cost, go look at a different car.

Agreed. Dents will severely reduce the car's value for insurance purposes. Say you crash it in six months and go to claim off your comp insurance. Suddenly the Ins Co are saying it's worth a couple of grand less than it should be as it had prior damage...

Look at the service history. Is it due a timing belt? Has this been done? It is worth getting a reliable mechanic to give it a thorough check. Also look for a decent warranty if you can get one.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Thanky you for your help everyone. Yes I have someone coming with me tomorro, to check over the proposed vehicle. Thanks for tips - and today I was smiling as I checked the carpets in the back seat footwells, and they were soaking. This was a Skoda Fabia and these are known for this problem. Boy, am I glad I checked. So cancelled that one and looking at a Skoda Octavia tomorro.:D

Advertisement