Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Airconditioning

Options
  • 08-03-2007 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what it costs to have airconditioning put into a car? Is this expensive to get done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Assuming you're not talking about a brand new car, which would probably cost around €800 if it's not standard. If it's a used car beyond maybe two years old I'd say it would make more sense to sell the car and buy something with air con. Actually, unless it's something rare/special, it's probably not worth adding to any used car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Mate was quoted €2000 on a Mazda Zedos 6 but that was about 3 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

mumof2 wrote:
    Does anyone know what it costs to have airconditioning put into a car? Is this expensive to get done?
    What car?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

milltown wrote:
    Assuming you're not talking about a brand new car, which would probably cost around €800 if it's not standard. If it's a used car beyond maybe two years old I'd say it would make more sense to sell the car and buy something with air con. Actually, unless it's something rare/special, it's probably not worth adding to any used car.

I think it would probably cost up to around €2,000 depending on the model to have air conditioning retro fitted to a car. Dead money that you would never get back when trading the car.

To the OP, you would be better off spending a bit more and upgrading to a car with air conditioning. It was fairly rare to find air con in your average family car here in Ireland up to about 7 or 8 years ago. These days it seems to be the must have accessory when people shop for a car.

Imo air con/climate control are handy to have if they come as standard in the car but in a country with a climate like Irelands it is certainly not a must have when having to pay extra for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I was in that place in parkwest, german/french parts, not sure what their real name is and they had kits for fitting AC, not sure of prices but may be worth a look. Their off Oak road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

bazz26 wrote:
    Imo air con/climate control are handy to have if they come as standard in the car but in a country with a climate like Irelands it is certainly not a must have when having to pay extra for it.

I'd agree. The air from them is a bit dry and dead too. Even when I am driving a car with aircon I seem to have a window open anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Cerbera wrote:
    What car?

Skoda Octavia 1.4 Petrol, hatchback...............and I wont open windows because of kids, they want them open then too, and not willing to let them for safety reasons..............ie putting hads out windows etc......hence i always pick a car with electric windows so i can lock theirs.

(BTW one of my kids has ADHD - which can cause havoc in a car, and expecially noisy when windows are opened!!):D

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

There probably won't be too much of a difference between the cost of having AC fitted to your car and trading in for one with AC already fitted.

True, but will try this year out with windows and blowers option only!! Thanks though.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

bazz26 wrote:

Pointless fitting it I would have thought, just upgrade the car to another one. If you can't afford to do that, then you can't afford to install AC.

However I think AC is great in Ireland. On rainy & cold days it stops the wndows from steaming up, much faster and much better than any other way. I tap it on for a few minutes at a time in such weather. I used to think it was dead weight and always wanted a sunroof instead. Till I had it. Now I think its great. On the hot days in the summer its great. But it gets more use clearing the windows for me. Our other car doesn't have it and on a wet day I really notice it.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote:
    Pointless fitting it I would have thought, just upgrade the car to another one. If you can't afford to do that, then you can't afford to install AC.

However I think AC is great in Ireland. On rainy & cold days it stops the wndows from steaming up, much faster and much better than any other way. I tap it on for a few minutes at a time in such weather. I used to think it was dead weight and always wanted a sunroof instead. Till I had it. Now I think its great. On the hot days in the summer its great. But it gets more use clearing the windows for me. Our other car doesn't have it and on a wet day I really notice it.

Yes i quite agree here, that it was used alot for clearing windows faster!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I thought the deal with the Octavia fell through?

Advertisement