Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CVT vs DSG

Options
  • 08-03-2007 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Can some please explain the difference between the two and the pros and cons of each? From what I've read so far CVT is better for overall mileage but dsg is smoother and is more sporty to drive. Your thoughts?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

You aren't far off, DSG is twin clutch where they system has the next gear ready on the other clutch when needed. It still has gears like a manual. CVT is a gear system which basically gives up any ratio within the gear range rather than only 6. Mostly CVT is only available in fuly auto cars. Obviously you can't drop gears in a hurry on such a system it's a smoother system all in all. Maybe not as exciting but haven't driven one, the dsg is great to drive although you can have issues pulling away from a stop.

Only VAG have DSG as far as I know, although you can get CVT engines on the A4 and A6 I think.

It's unlikely you would have to chose between them outside of those cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Daveq

some of the volvo auto's had CVT too. my dads old '95 440 had it, it's great for going up hill, much easier and smoother than a normal automatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

daveym has the DSG thing pretty well explained.

CVT has no gears as such (or an infinite number, depending on your viewpoint). Best analogy I can think of is a kinda like a 10 speed racing (push) bike, except instead of 10 cogs there is a cone.

DSG is a VAG-only thing, afaik, and tends to be in the sportier cars.

CVT, otoh tends to be used more in economy cars (eg Civic Hybrid), but in fact CVT should be capable of even better outright performance than DSG or a manual, simply cos the engine can be held on absolute peak power while the gear ratios are altered to achieve acceleration. But I don't know of any "performance" cars with CVT.

The main reason CVT hasn't really caught on too well is because to someone used to driving a manual it can seem like the clutch is slipping (engine at constant revs but car is somehow accelerating!). Some makers have slightly compromised CVT by adding in a stepped mode, ie where the gearbox appears to be an automatic with a fixed number of gears (usually 7), for those who can't get used to or don't like the slipping clutch feeling.

Advertisement