Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Flying

Options
  • 08-03-2007 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭

If you could hitch a ride in any aircraft, what would it be?

I'd have to go with this.

5_81.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Either the great white bird
    s-in-flight2.jpg

http://www2.interceptor.com/~thumper/xb2/2xb70.jpg - B&W image

Or one of the old airliners where you could go out onto the balcony

sikorsky.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Extra 300 for me. Proper flying !

Francesco_Fornabaio_Extra_300L.sized.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

One answer, this:
    apache.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

[borat] Is Very Niiice![/borat]

Here's one that I can actually aspire to...

a380_06.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

If you could hitch a ride in any aircraft, what would it be?

I'd have to go with this.

5_81.jpg

I actually saw one of these in New York a couple of years ago (actually an A-12) on static display aboard the USS Intrepid, absolutely stunning. If you happen to be around it's well worth a visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I actually saw one of these in New York a couple of years ago (actually an A-12) on static display aboard the USS Intrepid, absolutely stunning. If you happen to be around it's well worth a visit.

There's also a static A-12 outside the San Diego Aerospace Museum if anyone happens to be there. Good museum too, well worth a visit.

I was at the Intrepid last March, and the Blackbird is gone I'm afraid. What was there was a Concorde Prototype, minus the RR engines :(

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭11.3 SECONDS

I imagine that the ultimate buttock-clencher must be to be a passenger in a two seater jet doing a night landing on an aircraft carrier.

Being the passenger would make it more exciting for me as I wouldn't be able to do a dam thing about the landing or non-landing as the case might be !!

I imagine that the ultimate buttock-clencher must be to be a passenger in a two seater jet doing a night landing on an aircraft carrier.

TBH, you'd have little to worry about, most of those landings are carried out with the assistance of ILS (Instrument Landing System), with the Pilot naturally keeping control of his craft, and using the system as a reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

There's a vid on the new thread, (or will be in about 30 seconds :p ).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

ned78 wrote:
    TBH, you'd have little to worry about, most of those landings are carried out with the assistance of ILS (Instrument Landing System), with the Pilot naturally keeping control of his craft, and using the system as a reference.

I think your simplifying landing on a rolling pitching deck just a tad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7Jf1ltI2qA

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BostonB wrote:
    I think your simplifying landing on a rolling pitching deck just a tad.
    http://www.neptunuslex.com/2004/05/26/night-cq-part-ii/
    In the Vietnam War, human performance physiologists wanted to examine the effects of combat stress on naval aviators – they wired them for EKG’s, attached to battery-powered recorders. When the data was later analyzed, the physiologists were surprised to find that, based on pulse and breathing rates, the aviators were under higher stress during their night approaches to the carrier, than they had been in actual combat, when they were being shot at.
    Imagine what it was like earlier before ILS, before mirrors.

I remember hearing that up to 1/3 of the first British carrier jet pilots were lost, due to higher speeds on smaller ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Extra 300 for me too, although ive already done that, so maybe a ride in Concorde?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

A ride in an F-15E or an Su-30MKI would be nice. Jeremy Clarkson got a nice ride in the back of a Strike Eagle a few years back, the lucky sod.

I would throw the F-22 in there but its a single seater only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Wow an aviation forum! At last!

Id love to go for a spin in a twin seat interceptor but the only experiance ive had was the jumpseat on a Monarch 757 landing into Gatwick at night when I was 12. I'll never forget it, amazing experiance. They gave me a headset to listen in as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

pclancy wrote:
    Wow an aviation forum! At last!

Id love to go for a spin in a twin seat interceptor but the only experiance ive had was the jumpseat on a Monarch 757 landing into Gatwick at night when I was 12. I'll never forget it, amazing experiance. They gave me a headset to listen in as well!

For my experiences of Monarch you'd be better off in the jump seat! They pack you like sardines usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

True but being 12 and always wanting to be a pilot, a night landing into gatwick was like a dream come true....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Harrier T10 ( Thats the 2 seater ) for me...........MMMMMMM SEX APPEAL!:D :eek: :D

T10.jpg

Harrier_T10_1.jpg

If only..........:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

The USS Intrepid is no longer in NY its been moved to the main USN Aircraft Carrier base at Virginia for a Major Overhaul to prolong its life as a floating Museum before being returned to NY.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

would have to be an Extra 300 or any similar aircraft. with a second seat ,there are a few people I can think of that I'd love to scare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

If you have a couple of grand lying around (don't we all) you can go to Russia and get a back seat ride of either a MiG-29UB, Su-27UB or the MiG-25. It's your choice, or if you have a ton of cash you can do all three.

If I ever come into some money that is a trip I'd like to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It has to be in a Spitfire or a Hurricane I am afraid.
    Not sure if ever there was a two seater hurricane but there are two seater spits, one is former aercorp plane.

Failing that then landing a Herc on the ice in the Antartic must be a howl.

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote:
    Failing that then landing a Herc on the ice in the Antartic must be a howl.
    How about landing a Herc on an aircraft carrier ??
    C130 Forrestal

http://www.theaviationzone.com/factsheets/c130_forrestal.asp

http://www.theaviationzone.com/media/c130_forrestal_landing.mov
    http://www.theaviationzone.com/media/c130_forrestal_takeoff.mov

One plane I would not like to fly in was the original U2. It flew fairly fast in very thin air. If you turned too fast one wingtip could start buffeting because it was coming up to the sound barrier, while the other wingtip would be buffeting because it was stalling - as little as 5 knots between the two extremes.

Have to say I would also love to fly CL215 water bombers, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadair_CL-215
    You get to fly seaplane, do low level over lakes, and then do the cool stuff usually in the mountains following the birddog into the fire zone.
    Much more fun than the guys doing the retardant runs.

REgarding the U2, I would not fancy being in any modern jet fighter if I lost all computers making them pretty much unflyable, but then again there is an ejection seat.

Has anybody seen Mr Jetman from Switzerland ?

I wonder if you did that here would the IAA claim you needed a PPL ?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Probably at least a CPL - PPL doesn't cover jets, does it?

Actually they would problably ask if you were rated for that class of jet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

SR71 for me, or harrier or F16...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Falco F.8L - my main reason for wanting to be idle and rich, so I can build myself one.

/drool

Advertisement