Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download speed

Options
  • 08-03-2007 11:30pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Im on Eircom broadband (1mb/s i think) and when trying to download from bittorent or Limewire the speeds are awful, I'm lucky to break 4kb/s. Any suggestions/comments? :(

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

open ports.
    check torrent has a good seeder to leecher ratio.
    unblock firewall.

don't give us a lot of info to go on tbh but the top 3 there are the main reasons why torrent speeds will suck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

Google for guides on tweaking bittorrent or limeware you should find lots of info. If you use a router look at how that it is also set up or even flash the firmware to the manufacturer's latest version or using a 3rd party firmware version.

Seeing as you have 2 different p2p clients running and they are both getting crap speeds then test what speeds you get from downloading from using FTP, see what latency you get and run tracert tests as it might be that your service aint as fast as it should be.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Seeing as you have 2 different p2p clients running and they are both getting crap speeds then test what speeds you get from downloading from using FTP, see what latency you get and run tracert tests as it might be that your service aint as fast as it should be.
    Sorry, I don't understand a word after "crap speeds" lol. I messed around with a few things and got it up to 15-25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

depends on the torrent, seeders v leechers etc..

but a good site to start with is www.portforward.com

is it a netopia router ye have?

VinnyL wrote:
    is it a netopia router ye have?
    Ye, I've tried port forwarding before, for hosting a server for a game, but couldn't follow the instuctions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 student uselass

Sorry, I don't understand a word after "crap speeds" lol. I messed around with a few things and got it up to 15-25

what did ya mess with 2 bring it up, ive got some torrents workin away at the mo and they're flat lining......:(

Mine was doing grand, then stopped at 86% :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 student uselass

mine has just stopped at 93.9, oh the Torture

Advertisement