Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We are sailing....

• 08-03-2007 11:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭

ICG UP 22% to 19.30, we are sailing............ Happy Days and Anglo doing another stormer:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

Ah come on! Why didnt you post about it earlier! :)
    Seriously though, it would be useful if people mentioned some stocks they are watching. I didnt know anything about ICG.

BTW i mentioned Anglo Irish the other day, :)

Took a punt on Paddy Power on Wednesday, managed to get a quick 5% selling yesterday. Might get back in it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

CRH has a lot less exposure to the Irish property market than people think and personally I feel has been undervalued because of this. I'd buy on any pullback to the 30 ish level.

BT in the UK is imo a good long term buy, they've stabilised their debt situation and for your share price now you are buying the relatively stable consumer side of their business (acting more and more like a utility) and getting the expanding global services division tossed in free.

Japanese index tracker is a good long term hold, but may fluctuate in short term.

In the US, look at a company called Portfolio Recovery (PRAA) which have been beaten down on the back of the sub prime lending panic. To my mind the market seems to have got this one wrong, as PRAA are a debt recovery agency (not a lender) & would be more than pleased to see sub prime lenders go bust. Long term hold as ever..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

PDelux wrote:
    Ah come on! Why didnt you post about it earlier! :)
    Seriously though, it would be useful if people mentioned some stocks they are watching. I didnt know anything about ICG.

BTW i mentioned Anglo Irish the other day, :)

Took a punt on Paddy Power on Wednesday, managed to get a quick 5% selling yesterday. Might get back in it again.

There are a few real gem performers around ISEQ eg another doing steady progress: Abbey + 50% since Jan, but almost + 100% with ICG same timeframe. Agree the 3 B's Anglo, AIB and BoI doing really well.

For a long shot I took a punt after Broker tip on Tomco Energy (AIM, UK). A potential good tickler, but beware AIM not for fainthearted.

Currently mulling over Glanbia, United Drug and possibly C&C which is taking a hammering but good upside after recent negativity?

Stoke whilst others poke!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Notorious BIG

Amarin corp:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭SteadyEddie

I have just invested in C&C - such massive upside for a company I feel is set for massive growth this summer.

• Advertisement

Another one to look at getting into during a pullback is Standard Life (SL.L).
    http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=SL.L
    Share price is doing well since its floatation last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

PDelux wrote:
    Seriously though, it would be useful if people mentioned some stocks they are watching..
    Ever hear of "pump and dump"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭A Random Walk

Diarmuid wrote:
    Lots of forums seem to stop individual share discussions for that reason. I think it's a bad precedent if you try and restrict discussions to protect the stupid. Maybe a stand alone forum with a big disclaimer would be suitable.

Anyone who invests based on a message board posting isn't the brightest. Ideas for research are always welcome.

Lots of forums seem to stop individual share discussions for that reason. I think it's a bad precedent if you try and restrict discussions to protect the stupid. Maybe a stand alone forum with a big disclaimer would be suitable.

Anyone who invests based on a message board posting isn't the brightest. Ideas for research are always welcome.

Well, anyone who jumps the gun and dismisses all message board postings without first reading them is simply prejudicial and wouldn't reflect cleverness either.

I'd much prefer to see more exchanges taking place and for thos ethat do not wish to engage well why not go for a walk or do whatever far rightminded people do these days and stop butting in with unconstructive preachings.

I have just invested in C&C - such massive upside for a company I feel is set for massive growth this summer.

Well done SteadyEddie, you clever bugger. A Random Walk take note!!

BTW ICG over the 20.15 and still no sign of land (yet). € 21.00+ might smell the bank.

C&C next up, but we're spoiled for choice at present. I reckon much of the recent hammerings (10%+) will yield to upside before summer.

Utd Dr potential dark horse?

• Advertisement

Diarmuid wrote:

How about a dump and then shunt off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭A Random Walk

I'd much prefer to see more exchanges taking place and for thos ethat do not wish to engage well why not go for a walk or do whatever far rightminded people do these days and stop butting in with unconstructive preachings.
    Eh? I'm on your side Sonnenbum, I think maybe you might need to read posts first ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 westside

Anyone looking at tullow, sharewatch in the sunday times tipped it at the weekend

Anyone looking at tullow, sharewatch in the sunday times tipped it at the weekend
    Yea saw that. Also tipped was Paddy Power and Partygaming.
    Partygaming is an interesting one because if you remember it tanked from over 100p to below 30p back in October because of some US gaming law thing...but there is talk of this being reversed(sorry can't find the link). It's up at ~45p at the moment, definitely one to watch esp. if the decision is reversed.

Thanks Sonnenblumen, always nice to get a prediction right. In the short term C&C rise was fulled by speculation of a takeover, but I would quite happily see them have another massive summer without a takeover. Another thing that made me attracted to them, was when i was in France at a ski resort, and the amount of Bulmers/Magners being drunk was astonishing. Production has been ramped up, and a new advertising campaign coming our way bodes for a good year.

As for Partygaming Pdelux you have to be very careful, that is a crazy share with massive swings in price. I have done some short term trading in it, but am currently waiting for a buying opportunity - defo not for the faint hearted.

My last tip for the board, could go either way (DYOR), its a Biotech firm called Renovo (RNVO) - i have heard some very interesting news regarding it, with a potential takeover, or a larger pharma buying the rights to one of their drugs. They had one of the most successful IPO and around 60% of the company is held in instutions & the owners. Defo DYOR, and do not take my world for gospel, but this is my big & more riskier hope for my portfolio!

This is a good idea for a thread, ramping shares is not a good thing, but if we can present say a share in a clear arguement, then it could be benifical for the board. I certainly will not buy a share after it being tipped with no research.

This is a good idea for a thread, ramping shares is not a good thing, but if we can present say a share in a clear arguement, then it could be benifical for the board. I certainly will not buy a share after it being tipped with no research
    I agree with that. The good thing IMO is that you hear about stocks that you never heard of before and can look them up, add them to your watchlist if you see potential.
    I have heard about some great stocks from blogs, forums, newspapers, mags etc. that otherwise i may not have come across. I mean, you can use stock screeners to filter out certain 'good' stocks but there are thousands and thousands out there.

ICG looks set for € 22.00 but my attention is now turning to Oakhill. Seems like a lot changes coming down the tracks, new management structure and Mr Lynch appears to have big plans. What's especially appealing to me is the fact that he is putting his money where his mouth is and big share warrants set aside if targets are met.

A no brainer??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Notorious BIG

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

How about a dump and then shunt off!
    Please clarify.

:D:D

A lot of shares taking a pasting at the momemnt but in this case the less than positive test results has given a severe hammering to Amarin SP. Where to from here, it might be a good buy opp? Not sure, any info on other drug trials??

• Advertisement

Where some of my money has gone recently is in this investment trust: MNE - Merrill Lynch New Energy Technology. Its focus involves investing globally in companies, which have a focus on alternative energy or energy technology.

For me if you have a bit of money and are happy to hold for the next 2-5 years you will not be disappointed when you come back to this. The new/green energy sector is on the crest of an enormous boom and hence why I intend on sticking with this for the long term.

All IMHO!

IPO Tuesday May 15th, SP € 1.00ea. Strategy is well thought out and looks like a very interesting play into more movers. Anyone in for a punt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Jesus, amarin got hammered, was up a fair bit on it. Hopefully this meeting on Thursday will have some optimistic views in it.

SP < $1 and risk of Nasdaq delisting, but with only $29mio in bank for next 12 months trading is (a) time running out for Amarin Corp or (b) is there a sniff of a gamblers punt at new SP levels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bloodninja

glanbia steady and sure to hit €5 eventually. safe bet i reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

SP < $1 and risk of Nasdaq delisting, but with only $29mio in bank for next 12 months trading is (a) time running out for Amarin Corp or (b) is there a sniff of a gamblers punt at new SP levels?

Yeah I was listening to the release yesterday, plenty of stuff in the pipeline but won't be ready for the next 12 months at the earliest. Also said that they're doing research on their moraxion trials to see why there was such a difference from phases 1&2 to phase 3, looking to have some sort of result from this in a few weeks.....I'd say probably June/July before we hear anything.

I reckon C&C are a good venture. Production plant should be ready soon so I reckon Magners is going to boom in the UK. Plus their doing short trials of it over in Paris & Barcelona.....I think they're the 2 cities that were mentioned......2 large european capitals anyway.

IPO Tuesday May 15th, SP € 1.00ea. Strategy is well thought out and looks like a very interesting play into more movers. Anyone in for a punt?

IPO + 2 up 18% good start and prospects look better given IPO oversubscribed 300%. One to watch.

For a long shot I took a punt after Broker tip on Tomco Energy (AIM, UK). A potential good tickler, but beware AIM not for fainthearted.

Stoke whilst others poke!!!:D

Tomco up almost 100% since IPO mid Jan!! Don't say you weren't told!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Good call, Sonnenblumen.

• Advertisement

I mentioned before a small biotech i was hearing good things about called Renovo. Well am chuffed that they have found a partner for their lead drug in a deal worth up to $820 million. The share has moved up from 170 to 230, but this is so cheap. Well worth a look: LON:RNVO

From Goldman on them:

Goldman Sachs has raised its price target to 402p from 302p on the Justiva deal with Shire. Reckons Justiva alone is worth 330p. Broker has this one its pan European buy list and its pan European conviction buy list.

All imho and dyor, but if you have some spare case, do some research, and you may be impressed with these guys.

Nice one Steadie Eddie, will take a goo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭GP

who are you (and others) using to buy your stocks ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭pjproby

using national irish bank's custody account system. very easy to operate-you do need to open a current account with them though which takes a few days to set up.minimum commission €20.

GP wrote:
    who are you (and others) using to buy your stocks ?

Hi GP - was away.

Sharewatch (online for most) is a very cost effective way to purchase. Open an account and but for other 'strategic' reasons, I use Campbell O'Connor and Davy's, although more expensive, they offer an excellent allround service (if required).

bloodninja wrote:
    glanbia steady and sure to hit €5 eventually. safe bet i reckon

Broke € 4.00, looking good for 2008!! Also IAWS under pressure, good buy in on current low? I reckon 2008 will be big year for IAWS.

Anyone know what's burning under the Donegal Creameries SP ? Been going really well no matter what the prevailing mkt cons, regularly seems to outperform?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭GP

Hi GP - was away.

Sharewatch (online for most) is a very cost effective way to purchase. Open an account and but for other 'strategic' reasons, I use Campbell O'Connor and Davy's, although more expensive, they offer an excellent allround service (if required).

Thanks very much. I got the Sharewatch pack. Just learning at the moment so starting with things like Rabo funds etc....

Its a great time to buy into shares particularly on the ISEQ, negative sentiment is overdone, and there are several great cos trading at/near 12 month lows.

There's value to be had so buy now at lows and sit back. For example, IMO all the banks will recover in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 westside

Sonnenblumen, would you buy ETF's,a quinnlife fund or look for value in certain shares.
    I like the banks too, I probably hold too high a % in my portfolio but i think the heady days are gone. They are smart, i will give them that and have diversified enough not to be hit too hard by any one particular sector like a property, UK or US downturn. I was looking at the ISEQ today and I also think it is worth a punt but I might do some more research first

westside wrote:
    Sonnenblumen, would you buy ETF's,a quinnlife fund or look for value in certain shares.
    I like the banks too, I probably hold too high a % in my portfolio but i think the heady days are gone. They are smart, i will give them that and have diversified enough not to be hit too hard by any one particular sector like a property, UK or US downturn. I was looking at the ISEQ today and I also think it is worth a punt but I might do some more research first

As my pension is part of a managed fund with one of the leading banks, I prefer to buy shares. Like you there is probably a slight portfolio imbalance, but they have given great returns (divis + sp appreciation) in recent years. All three major Irish banks are well diversified and any fallback on property dips is well over hyped. Great growth YTD with Irish Cont Group, Indo News Media and Greencore. But there are other punts there eg Glanbia and IAWS but probably more for 2008. For anyone that doesn't have any of the Irish Banks shares, now is a great time to buy.

Amazing how amongst all recent carnage, ICG still holding up really well. There are plenty of buying opps there now, banks, CRH, C&C, INM, IAWS, Abbey etc etc.

A bit of balls and some patience, and there's real money to be made on ISEQ!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote:

I've bought plenty of Anglo and top up each year and also with the scrip divi.

Anglo is a top performing bank and retrurns over last years have been nothing short of outstanding.

daveirl wrote:

Saw on another thread you're in for a long run, in which case you should be packing all the Irish financials. Absolute no brainer IMO. An dat present distressed levels almost a give away. My order of merit based on share price appreciation, Divi History and current SP v European Peers etc:

1. AIB. 2. BoI. 3. Anglo and 4. ILP

Certainly 1 and 2 undervalued/discounted at the moment= buying opp.;)

Amazing how ICG shareprice is holding well during all this turbulence. € 25 .00 is it time to sell or will Mr Carroll outbid the other potential bidders?

ICG at € 25.20 anyone else on board? Does anyone reckon Mr Carroll could precipitate a big run on Greencore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Amazing how ICG shareprice is holding well during all this turbulence.

Problem is it's turning into a pissing contest between a couple of major property players. Predicting the future share price is about the personalities and not the company or its property. Not the sort of investment I want to be in.

Might agree with your description of the contest, but they are big hitters and sure it's too late to join in. My question applies to those already in ICG and have been for a while, because the burning Q is how far can this go or will it simply fizzle out and ICG ends up paying what will effectively be a penalty for failed bids.

Unless Mr Carroll has his ways, someone is going to pay dearly otherwise. I mean he's still boarding at €25.20 and hardly a day tripper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Saw on another thread you're in for a long run, in which case you should be packing all the Irish financials. Absolute no brainer IMO. An dat present distressed levels almost a give away. My order of merit based on share price appreciation, Divi History and current SP v European Peers etc:

1. AIB. 2. BoI. 3. Anglo and 4. ILP

Certainly 1 and 2 undervalued/discounted at the moment= buying opp.;)

Would agree totally, added some shares in AIB & BOI this week. Bought into Anglo in '97 so they already make up a large % of my investments due to the growth since then so just add every year via the dividend investment scheme.

Also buying more AIB, ILP and Greencore. Undervalued, overstressed and vg divis. Expect to smile in 2008.

Carroll + Rothwel to team up and make killer bid to take ICG private. € 27+?

Unbelieveable stuff.

Surprised not more have moved into Greencore. Big hitter in 2008. Watch that Space and watch that man!! Good on ya Liam!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement