Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does a pro video set up cost?

• 09-03-2007 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

Not for filming, more for handling DVDs and compiling them into loops and desiging moving images. Aside form cost, what gear, both hardware and software is needed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

Suitable software would be Final Cut Studio which retails for about 1300. It includes various editing, DVD authoring, and motion graphics applications. Unfortunately FCS will only run on macs. You might also look into buying Adobe After Effects, the professional version costs 1700. An alternative to Final Cut would be Avid Xpress Studio, but it costs considerably more. Hardware would include an Apple Mac Pro where you will probably have to spend about 5000 euro for a suitable one including the monitor, as you will need to upgrade your RAM and graphics card if doing a lot of motion menus. Go for 2 gigs of RAM min and a 512 Mb graphics card. If you plan to shoot on anything other than DV or HDV you will need a capture card, and faster hard-drives to handle the increased data rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Just to add to that as far as I know 'Final Cut' also has software which does the job of after effects, some would argue that it is even better than 'after effects'. It also has sound editing software. I'm no expert, I just heard this from someone who is an expert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

THanks for the replies. Where in Ireland should I look at buying these new?

You can buy online at www.apple.ie. You can also purchase After Effects on the Apple website. You can also order over the phone and ask for advice. There is also an Apple reseller at the bottom of Grafton Street in a camera store (might be Jessops). The best store for mac stuff is in Cork. It's called "Compu b" and is based in Penrose Wharf in the city centre. The only problem with resellers is they may have to order the software. Avid are based in Sandyford, but you might also be able to buy a system through Eurotek or Tyrrel. Not 100% sure on that last bit. Final Cut Studio is also due an upgrade so if you can wait a few months it might be worth it. They usually launch new versions of this software in May/ June. They are also due to release a successor to Shake which will probably be worth getting if you are into motion graphics or visual effects. Don't know when it will be released or at what price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Just to add to that as far as I know 'Final Cut' also has software which does the job of after effects, some would argue that it is even better than 'after effects'. It also has sound editing software. I'm no expert, I just heard this from someone who is an expert.

motion is by no means better than after effects. It has it's good point, but it doesn't replace what efter effetcts does..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

MLM wrote:
    You can buy online at www.apple.ie. You can also purchase After Effects on the Apple website. You can also order over the phone and ask for advice. There is also an Apple reseller at the bottom of Grafton Street in a camera store (might be Jessops). The best store for mac stuff is in Cork. It's called "Compu b" and is based in Penrose Wharf in the city centre. The only problem with resellers is they may have to order the software. Avid are based in Sandyford, but you might also be able to buy a system through Eurotek or Tyrrel. Not 100% sure on that last bit.

you can get bot mac and avid solutions from tyrell including all software mentioned above. They would be my personal preference in terms of resellers in ireland.

in terms of mac, you are better ringing them to order as you can sometime getting a decent discount/special offers. One thing, don't buy additional RAM from apple. Buy it later yourself from the likes of crucial or memoryc.com (shop 4 memory) as you'll save a fortune.

Final Cut includes an application called Motion which can create professional motion graphics. Its good, but not as versitile as After Effects which has a "z" plane and more advanced colour and paint features.

Advertisement