Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Something seems dodgy! advice please?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Del2005 wrote:
    It's because the local Irish bank clears the check and then posts it back to the issuing bank. When they recive the check and see it isn't a valid check they take their money back and then your bank takes it's money back and you're all outta luck. Where as with credit card fraud the only looser is the retailer/seller!

Edit
    BTW - I know it's OT but Stekelly asked.

I do understand the mechanics of how a cheque works, but my point was thatsurely they should wait for confirmation or contact the issueing bank with the details to make sure its a real/valid cheque before tellign their customer its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I remember reading an article in a newspaper a few years ago where someone was selling genuine Irish fresh air in a bottle on ebay to yanks. :D

In a similar article some guy in the US was selling burial plots on the moon. They even came with a very nice certificate of authentication. Apparently he sold quite a few plots before being caught out. :eek:

There is an idiot born every minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

get a grip is not for real. Be very carefull dealing with people you can not meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

guy from the u.s. on the prey selling a spray to get a better wireless connection was on the bay for a few months has great feed back 2, no i did not buy it as i only had dial up lol

• Registered Users Posts: 78,393 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Littlepete wrote:
    Thanks guys, love that idea. Definately going to make the guy sweat for this one. Got some great idea's on that site pretending to send the money Via "eastern union" :> and make him travel across the UK to collect it. I feel so dim for even considering that if might have been for real.
    Be very careful, he has your address and knows your car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Victor wrote:
    Be very careful, he has your address and knows your car.

QFT.

Overdriver, I know you from the 'eater! You don't know me I'd imagine as I've lurked there almost from day one, and straight bait mostly, when I get a chance these days...

Some world class baiting there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Littlepete wrote:
    I need someones advice on the following situation.

I'm selling my car and was contacted by a buyer via the net. The buyer wants to ship the car to canada and has sent me a check from the UK, he then wants me to send a portion of the money he sent me to someone in the UK who will arrange the shipping and apparently someone will collect it.

At first i thought the guy was pulling my leg since the money he wants transfered for the shipping (to canada) ~8,000 euro (Which considering the cost of the car is a bit mad) but the check arrived this morning. Obviously i'll wait for it to clear before making any moves. But somehow it seems a bit dodgy. Maybe im just being paranoid.

Is there any steps i need to take to protect myself here? Any exporting documents i need to fill out? Anything special about the transfer of ownership??

I'll bet that the cheque is either stolen or is a forgery. The bank will be telling you that it bounced in 2-3 months. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

QFT.

Overdriver, I know you from the 'eater! You don't know me I'd imagine as I've lurked there almost from day one, and straight bait mostly, when I get a chance these days...

Some world class baiting there!
    Thanks Roundy
    It's been a while since I was there, myself! PM me your username over there, willya?
    Ta!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

OP do you perchance have a dormant bank account registered to a different address, with a bank you no longer use? if so lodge the draft there, clear it, withdraw the lot, deny everything, see ya in acupolco :D

Podge

edit, if not PM me, I have a few still ;0

Advertisement