Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for help choosing Mountain Bike

Options
  • 09-03-2007 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Okay, I am about to get back into mountain biking again as I'm now living near the mountains again in Wicklow. After many years of not being active on the Mountain Bike scene, I want to get back into it with the long evenings approaching so I can do it year round. Which ever one I buy will not be used for road use really.Budget is up to 1200.

I want to buy a light weight, tough bike with Hydralic Brakes, Front suspension etc. Not really that pushed on rear suspension at them moment. Can anyone advise on any particular brand name that is better in areas than others.

So far I have been looking at the Giant XTC 4.5, XTC 3.5, and maybe the XTC 2.5.
    It's hard to decide what to buy as there are loads of bikes in this price-range. I know there is the usual brand names, Specialized, GT, Trek, Cannondale, Kona etc, but is there any that stand out for my use.

I have also learnt of Kellys and Lapeirre, has anyone help with these brands?

Looking forward to your replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

There are loads of possibilities. A Giant XTC or Specialized Rockhopper would be a good choice within your budget. Also the Lapierre. Call into the shops and try out as many as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

you might like this i have one of these its a great ride

http://www.gtbicycles.com/mountain/catalog/detail.php?id=2956&country=UK&brand=moun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

check out canyon: http://www.canyon.com/ Seen a Grand Canyon in the flesh, superb spec for the money. All online unfortunately so you need to trust. If you have any bike at all, try meeting up with MAD, there is a guy there with one, he's very happy so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

you could have a look at the Kona Coiler for sale on this forum.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055065718
    I have a Kona Chute, admittedly not a dualer, but my one is fantastic bike and I love it. If the Coiler is half as good, you are getting a great deal IMO

P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Thanks for the recommendation there King Raam (that's my bike for sale :D) but it's not a lightweight. I could make it lighter with a new saddle, some 2.1" tyres, single crown forks etc. But at the moment, it wouldn't suit the OP in its current format as it's set up for 'Freeride' or light DH riding, as opposed to all day trail cruising. Having said that....It IS a great bike ;)

Have a look at some of the Kona range OP - They're cracking good and if you shop around, you'll find some real bargains.

• Advertisement
Advertisement