Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shaving legs. An odd question.

• 09-03-2007 9:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭

A bit of a weird question, but you might be able to help.

Is there any way for a lady to shave her legs that doesnt involve irritating the skin or ripping the hair out (like waxing)?

Baiscally, someone close to me has an illness which makes her legs unbelieveably prone to infection, and the slightest nick or irritation results in really painful swelling and sores. This means that shaving is a complete no-no, and waxing seems to bring the same type of problems.

After a good two years of this, her leg department is starting to resemble an enchanted forest, and I was wondering if there are any gentle, non irritating ways to remove leg hair?
    Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

What about those hair removal cream things - like Immac ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭Archeron

I thought they worked on the basis of kind of ripping out the hair? Not sure though, I'm not an expert in leg hair removal, so I'll look into that.
    Thanks!

I dont think so but maybe some of the ladies around the forum can clarify ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Immac has been renamed Veet and no it doesn't rip the hair out it basically dissolves the hair.

This woman should be careful. Get her to try a small amount on a small spot on her leg, leave it for five minutes or so (read the instructions) and then wash it away.

The stuff stinks so don't worry about any odd smells :)

Am I the only one disturbed that theres 3 lads on this thread discussing hair removal products at 9AM on a Friday morning :D;)

• Advertisement

The lenghts we dudes go to to keep lady folk happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

c - 13 wrote:
    Am I the only one disturbed that theres 3 lads on this thread discussing hair removal products at (AM on a Friday morning :D;)

Its the boards way :rolleyes: :p

Veet would be a good idea, but be sure not to leave it on the skin too long, follow the instructions carefully !!!! As if its left on way too long it will probable hurt her legs given she s so sensitive

There are some razors and shaving cream that are packed full of alo vera which will be softer on her skin also. I will come back to you on the brands, Ive quite sensitive skin and i have found that they dont really irratate my skin at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Archeron wrote:
    The lenghts we dudes go to to keep lady folk happy!

hahahaha :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

The chemicals in veet are quite strong so if your friend has sensitive skin be very careful with the skin test. If there is no chemical irritation she should be fine because as someone said, it dissolves the hair just below the surface and can simply be rubbed off or washed off using a shower attachment so there will be little mechanical damage.

If she is willing to try shaving again, the quality of the razor can make a real difference. I've found a triple or quad mens razor with loads of shaving gel works a treat.

Waxinv is very tough at first but does get significantly easier with repeated sessions. I don't know how bad her reaction is to it but it might be worth putting up with initially?

The final alternative I know of is premanent hair removal using lazers or electrolysis. Both would be pricy for whole legs and I don't knoe enought about them to advise. It might be worth looking into.

Thanks for the replies all, a few things to try there.
    I forsee a fun hair filled weekend.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

c - 13 wrote:
    Am I the only one disturbed that theres 3 lads on this thread discussing hair removal products at 9AM on a Friday morning :D;)

I thought that too but decided to keep quiet about it :D

I've lived with my soon-to-be-wife for 8 years now so I know her bathroom habits and products inside out, I guess I've picked up a lot of info in that time :)

Myself and a male friend were in a pub last year and having a really good, interesting and long conversation. It was great until another friend turned to us and said "Lads you do realise that you guys know way too much about womens facial beauty products. You need to get out with the lads a bit more!" :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

that veet stuff is so unbelievably strong, i left it on too long once and when i washed it away and was drying my legs they had loads of little blood specs the whole way down them, it was not at all nice!

i agree that the quality of the razor makes a big difference though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭louisecm

Archeron, I for one am touched that you care enough to enquire! Shes a lucky lady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

I get a lot of dry skin and flare ups on my legs after shaving and I find that using unrefined sesamie oil on my legs after shaving helps to calm down my skin....any cuts are me own fault tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

just to let you know my girlfriend hasn't got especially sensitive skin, but when she used Immac she came out in huge red patches and bumps. Which itched like mad, and she had them for the best part of a week.
    So if your friend has any kind of sensitive skin i'd keep well clear of that Immac stuff. Apparently 'sugaring' is a good way.(so my gf tells me )But don't ask me~!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

I think that if the lady in question was in the bath for 15-20 or so minutes and then shaved with a new razor, there would be very little chance of nicks/cuts. Also, if she used a gentle exfoliating scrub before shaving, that would help to wash away dead skin, which would result in a closer shave.

The skin would be softer from the water, the pores would be open too. Just go slowly, from my own experience it's when I'm in a rush that I nick myself!

I wouldn't go down the VEET route myself, the chemicals in it would probably be too harsh. Anything that can dissolve hair might spark a reaction, especially if she's sensitive and prone to infections. Besides, as far as I know, similiar chemicals are in drain-unclogger products! Scary!

Advertisement