Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

peter manley. booed!

• 09-03-2007 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

guys,
    i was watching the Priestley match last night and as usual manley got booed. i know he likes that and its crowd do it to "support" him.

just wondered how it all started.. any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think it originally had something to do with the fact that he is the main guy of the PDPA which is the players organisation. Some people thought he was doing a bad job. Now its just a case of booing him for the laugh and people.

I could be wrong on this though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭leuler

He has been boo'ed since he walked away without shaking Taylor's hand after being beaten 7-0 in the 2002 PDC world championship final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Yep its since he walked off againist taylor with out shaking hands. I'm not sure if it had something to do with Taylor finishing the match on the bull - and Manley thought it was a lack of respect (this could have happened in a different game between the two........the oul memory isn't the best:rolleyes: )

I used to feel sorry for him that he would be booed - but he actually enjoys it..............I have read on various forums that people that have met him and he supposed to be a top bloke.

He is like the bad boy of darts..............I wonder will that change now that Merv king is here now............what sort of reception do you think King will recieve from the crowd????

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

yeah Sid Waddell mentioned yesterday when manley arrived that he was swamped with fans and was easily the most popular guy on the circuit.

may do some investigation on merv king. (im a noob to darts btw) but am loving watching it every thursday. its extremely addictive!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

MBC wrote:
    He is like the bad boy of darts..............I wonder will that change now that Merv king is here now............what sort of reception do you think King will recieve from the crowd????

I think it will be a mixed reaction to Merv. Its well known that Merv refused to play in some tournaments that were allowing PDC members to play in it, I seem to remember that in one tournament he actually managed to get them thrown out. He was definitely the bad boy of the BDO but I think the players will have more of a problem with Merv than the fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Manley is a really nice bloke, met him a few years ago at a tournament in england.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

MBC wrote:
    Yep its since he walked off againist taylor with out shaking hands. I'm not sure if it had something to do with Taylor finishing the match on the bull - and Manley thought it was a lack of respect (this could have happened in a different game between the two........the oul memory isn't the best:rolleyes: )

I used to feel sorry for him that he would be booed - but he actually enjoys it..............I have read on various forums that people that have met him and he supposed to be a top bloke.

Was that not kevin painter that did that? i thought its when manley and lewis had a falling out. sorry if im wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Manley was roundly booed after being beaten by Taylor 7-0 and refusing to shake his hand after the match in the 2002 World Championship . The booing has persisted since then , though it is for the most part just for a laugh with his fans these days .
    However , Ade Lewis stormed off in mid match during their World Championship semi-final last year over something Manley said to him on stage - Lewis returned to the stage but was beaten by Manley , who then played Taylor in the final (Lewis is Taylor's blue-eyed boy) . Taylor won 7-0 .... I suspect the boos from the Taylor/Lewis fans to be genuine lol !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Manley waited for a few seconds after the winning dart went in, when Taylor won 7-0. Taylor was bouncing round the stage, so Manley just walked off. Taylor immediately saw it and reached his out hand out and left it out hanging in midair waiting for the handshake. Manley of course had his back to him as he was walking off so didnt see Taylor's outstretched hand. Taylor then gestured to the crowd to make sure everyone saw that Manley refused to shake hands. Manley was of course in the wrong, and apologised to Taylor afterwards, but its amazing how the Taylor fans have made the boos for Manley so popular!

Manley plays along with the boos now, but he has little choice. From interviews he clearly doesnt like it, and he said his wife always gets upset by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

There is a nice wee hate triangle there!
    Manley and Taylor had their problems in the past including the 7-0 incident.
    After that there was more grief when Taylor "apparently" sent his daughter into the front row to shout stuff at Manley during a match that taylor wasn't even in!

Then Lewis (Taylors Protege (Sp?)) comes on the scene and he and Manley fall out! All because of Taylor and Manleys history.

Its all fun and games really!

• Advertisement
Advertisement