Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Longford Town financial problems?

• 09-03-2007 10:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭

According to the radio this morning, Paisley has walked on a free over wages problems.

Not a good start to the saeason after everything that has happened with the Reds during the close season.

Any other clubs out there going the same way? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

It is in relation to wages that werent paid I think were bonuses etc last season. The wages were paid at a later date but with the recent exodus of players from shels via the no wage pay issue he was always going to win this. Annoyed at the moment that longford loose another player. Going to be very hard now, him staying was pivitol. I am annoyed at the people who run the club that these situations have been allowed to happen.

The highest earners were all let go in the summer in order to get the club back on a better financial footing apparently. Will mean scrapping against relegation now but if it means thinks can be stabilised then so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

I heard Alan Matthews on local radio this morning and he sounded very downbeat, sold best players, Dessis Baker injured, got new players from 'outside the usual places' (his words) meaning lower leagues. Pat's at 11/8 seems extremely good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It is in relation to wages that werent paid I think were bonuses etc last season. The wages were paid at a later date but with the recent exodus of players from shels via the no wage pay issue he was always going to win this.
    Jesus, are there any other players affected?

How many other clubs are having these problems I wonder?

Dunno at the moment seansouth, heard other news though which I wont put up here that has me feeling even worse than the Paisley news in relation to things in the club.

That doesn't sound too good.

I feel for you though, it's not nice to go through.

See you in the First next season?

• Advertisement

Longford Towns Own Goal
    Just three years after winning the FAI cup, Brian Fallon Hardware Ltd has just had Judgements of €19,000 registered against club chairman James Hanley, Secretary Francis Murtagh and Longford town Football Club(LTFC)
    The Judgements arose from goods supplied to the club 2 years ago for which the club has failed to pay......

seeing as it is in the phoenix mag.

So annoyed now, no programmes, players unpaid, leaving, Some serious answers need to be given to the fans like myself who buy season tickets and give as much cash to the club as they can, was pondering joining the trust but id like to know what my 300euro a year will be spent on paying back or where it will be going.

I hear cobh is nice this time of year (next year :( )

So annoyed now, no programmes, players unpaid, leaving, Some serious answers need to be given to the fans like myself who buy season tickets and give as much cash to the club as they can
    Right.

You sound like me a while ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

This story can't be true. Longford got a license from the FAI to compete in the premier division. So they must have all their bills up to date?

John_C wrote:
    This story can't be true. Longford got a license from the FAI to compete in the premier division. So they must have all their bills up to date?
    AHHHH HAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA AAAAHHHHH AHAHAHAHAHAHA
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

John_C wrote:

This could be true. When the licenses were handed out which, I think was back in November, Longford probably had a 'squeaky clean' set of accounts which were audited etc and acceptable to the FAI However, having audited accounts doesnt mean the company/club doesnt owe money or indeed wont have financial problems.

I hear far too much emphasis these days on audited accounts. Auditors do not have a responsibility in terms of all aspects of the financial ability of a club/business. In fact, they sign waivers and are only responsible for what information is made available to them and what they ask for. They are not expected to uncover 'hidden' debts, off the books loans, 'dodgy' deals, etc. In fact, it is well known that many of them turn a blind eye to many of the things that go on, they just ensure that 1+1 = 2.

The league clubs are riddled with problems over years of bad habits, poor financial management, etc. Paying taxes is for many clubs, a new thing. The Shelbourne over-spending problem has also affected all clubs to some extent. But overall, what the FAI will have to do is bite the bullet with many of these clubs and get them back into line.

People may complain a lot about the FAI, me included, and we have all seen things done in the past, and indeed things that relate to performance on the international arena, but I think it has to be said that their involvement now in the league can only be a good thing in the long run, not perfect by any means, but steps are being taken in the right direction.

What will happen at Longford over the long-term is anyone's guess at the moment. The next licensing stage is the end of March I understood, and Shelbourne are not out of the woods yet, even though they will be playing this evening, nor Longford by the sounds of things.

Redspider

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Publicly screwed:

- Shels
    - Longford
    - Sligo

Trying to cover it up:

- Drogheda
    - Cork
    - Pats
    - Waterford

In good shape:

- UCD
    - Bray
    - Bohs
    - Derry
    - Limerick 37
    - Shamrock
    - Galway

Stolen from pats fan board, all hail the EL :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

KdjaCL wrote:
    In good shape:

- UCD
    - Bray
    - Bohs
    - Derry
    - Limerick 37
    - Shamrock
    - Galway
    I think you need to split this into 2 groups:

No known problems:
    Bray
    Derry
    Galway

Known to be in good shape:
    UCDD
    Bohs
    Limerick
    Shams

John_C wrote:
    I think you need to split this into 2 groups:

No known problems:
    Bray
    Derry
    Galway

Known to be in good shape:
    UCDD
    Bohs
    Limerick
    Shams

Dunno if anyone is known to be in good shape some clubs are *depending* on certain things.

UCD safe as houses really.
    Rovers gound could go pear shaped or worse delayed for a longer amoutn of time.
    Bohs ground deal going.
    Limerick well look at last seasons version.
    Bray they can just pay less.
    Wexford if wallcae gets bored.
    galway fickle fans and leeson leaves.

Shels obvious
    Longford ditto
    Sligo ditto

Drogheda ground deal and magic money tree going.
    Cork in trouble but selling players for mad amounts seems to be working
    Pats big losses but not creating a debt, funded by someone nefarious :D McD could be a short term saviour, tallaght a longterm.
    Waterford its a week to week thing with them.

kdjac

kdjac

http://www.ladbrokes.com/lbr_sports?action=go_event&category=SOCCER&class_id=110000006&type_id=210001767&ev_id=211206188&ev_mkt_id=212161334

LOL

Perfect summation of the Eircom League that a bookie is running odds on who will be deducted points.

kdjac

Paisley signed for us today seems we did some underhanded things to get him, Pats told him he could walk on a free if he went to a tribunal after we offered 15k for him, they said no and asked for 22k plus Maguire :(

Pats held out till he was on a free, 3rd player in his family to play for us.

About 800 at the game last night.

kdjac

Advertisement