Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving to UK/Europe?

Options
  • 09-03-2007 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've never done it before, but hopefully it's going to be a regular occurrence soon and I should be doing my first trip to the UK (London) in April, in a Ford Transit.

What are the best deals for a) The UK and b) Europe, does anyone know?

I'm trying to go through the StenaLine online quote system, but it's not working. Is Stena Line the only line for van trips to the UK?

Would appreciate any feedback on this:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matt cork

i can can only comment by car as it a route i travel every week to london.

im not going to knock irish ferries but i have found stena to be cheaper.

if it going to be regular get a gold card with them. this mean you get automatic upgrade to the stena lounge, handy for overnight trips, priority boarding and disembarking and also you get points for everything you spend (eg €200 rtn journey get 200 pts which is €30)

they also do flexible landbridge services to europe including norfolk line, channel tunnel etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Depending on where you're going in Europe, the landbridge tarrif via Holyhead, Hull-Rotterdam can be a good option.

It's not the cheapest route, but it involves minimal driving in the UK and the times for the Hull-Rotterdam overnighter are very convenient.
    You start off fresh and relaxed in Rotterdam at eight in the morning and you can then munch the miles to wherever it is you're going.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the replies.

It seems to get a return van journey on a ferry to the UK will be about €450:eek:

That's just madness!

Is Dublin/Dun Laoghaire to Hollyhead, then drive to London, the best option?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

there is also this crowd
    http://www.norfolkline-ferries.co.uk/en/is-passenger/

Weird route (to Liverpool), awkward times, but cheap(er)

When inquiring about prices with all ferry companies you better inquire by phone. As you will be carrying freight, you might fall under the freight tarrifs.
    Dunno if they are cheaper or more expensive, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭wba88

peasant wrote:
    there is also this crowd
    http://www.norfolkline-ferries.co.uk/en/is-passenger/

Weird route (to Liverpool), awkward times, but cheap(er)

When inquiring about prices with all ferry companies you better inquire by phone. As you will be carrying freight, you might fall under the freight tarrifs.
    Dunno if they are cheaper or more expensive, though.
    had to go to l'pool 2yrs ago so i went with these the journey was very long but no other problems with them

• Advertisement

according to ie.map24.com, liverpool to london is about 70 miles shorter than Holyhead to London, and 3 hours instead of 5. So that would save about €20 on petrol each way maybe.

How long was the journey wba?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Have you priced any of the ferries from Rosslare?

edit: looks like about €370 return with Irish Ferries, Rosslare-Pembroke in a van.

Hmm, Pembroke to London is 4 hours, 242 miles, to get to Rosslare from Dub would be about 3 hours. Anyone know what the sailing time would be from Rosslare to Pembroke?

thanks for the suggestions:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Its about 4 hours, afaik.

edit: from their faq:
    Rosslare/Pembroke

Isle of Inishmore - 3 hours 45 minutes

Also, if your van is a long wheelbase/high top one you'll probably have to pay freight rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Get a Ford Galaxy and take the seats out, its under a different classification and is cheaper afaik.

Depends on what your bringing back i guess :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement