Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My red setter is going grey.

Options
  • 09-03-2007 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if there is a normal age at which a dog starts to go grey? I've a red setter, and he is only 5, and he has the face of a 90 year old with all these grey hairs all over the place, and those really funny looking old man eyelashes that stick out about 5 inches. Is this premature ageing, or is this normal enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

my 5 year old lab is going grey around her mouth & chin - I'd consider it normal enough - some dogs in my experience go grey earlier than others - just like us ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It does sound a bit unusual but it just varies from dog to dog. I used to have a red setter and he had no grey hairs at all.

Although my friends dogs started going grey at the age of about 2, she now has a full beard of it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Dogs are considered to be seniors at around 6 or 7 but it varies with breeds and stress level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Archeron

aaah, stress levels, that could explain it. He's very placid and really timid, and the slightest thing gives him awful frights. (One time he turned around and there was a bird in his water bowl, and he visibly jumped with fright) so maybe that explains it.

Advertisement