Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

insurance with full lisence vs. provisional lisence

Options
  • 09-03-2007 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi all,
    My brother and I (we both were with provisional lisence) hold together a policy with Q.D. for almost a year, no claim,etc. I've recently passed my driving test and got a full lisence (and I thought this would reduce the premium significantly). I updated that detail to them when renewing. Apparently they said that beside the no claims bonus, there won't be any other reduction regarding to whether me (not both) having full or provisional lisence? Should I shop around (again) for another company or are they actually fair?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

The better half passed her test there a few weeks ago, she also has a policy with Quinn Direct, so she rang them up to let them know.

She was told "grand so, that brings your premium down by €50, thanks" and that was it, she didn't even have to prove it to them so with QD I doubt its that big a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

same with me passed my test last week, called them and premium came down, are you or your brother the named driver on the policy? if its you it wont make any difference but if you are the proposer it should make some difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 timcraft.tk

Thanks all for the reply... To answer Cold Filter's question.. I'm the proposer, so they weren't fair then? 2 grand is what I've still to paid!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

i got 250 back with them after passing my test, a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Joeface

if your renewing your insurance as I recently was with quinn-direct, renewal notice said €737 so i went online to there web site filled in all my details exactly as they had on the renewal notice , and hey presto €553, so i saved it took the ref no. rang them back and asked them to match the online quote which they did saved my self €184. tis worth trying, also note that the phone ppl were no help, apparently Quinns new customer rates are far better, than those to the loyal customers, so you have to get the online quote your self for them to match it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Same thing happened to me. Got my full licence and they only brought it down by 200.

But I checked their website and got a new quote with the very same car, full licence etc. and it was 700 cheaper still. Told them this, and they refused to honour it. So I asked to cancel my policy and I will apply again. They sent me a letter to fill out and send back to cancel the policy.

So you can get a better deal, if you get a better online quote, just cancel the policy and apply again. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Wifes insurance came down by €900 to only €300 when she passed her test and she only had 2 years NCB!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The provisional named driver is still a higher risk so your premium isn't going to drop by much with him still on the policy.

Also, similar to the above posts, my renewal quote from Quinn this year was about €1200. I got a quote off their website for €905 :rolleyes:

When I questioned them about that on the phone they fobbed me off with some bull about there being a problem with their website, and that they were in fact doing me a favour by letting me get it at that rate! Checking the site again after a couple of weeks and the premium dropped even further!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

if you are the proposer it should go down then as you are the main driver and your brother is the occasional. Give them a call and ask them to clarify the situation for you, they may try to fob you off but keep at it.

Advertisement