Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Key Vs New Locks

Options
  • 09-03-2007 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm a bit accident prone and recently lost a set of car keys. So I'll need another set cut and coded by the dealer right? (cost approx 100 I think)

But, my passenger side door doesn't open from the outside. Is it worth spending this money for a key when I could get new locks fitted. How much more would that be?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm a bit accident prone and recently lost a set of car keys. So I'll need another set cut and coded by the dealer right? (cost approx 100 I think)

But, my passenger side door doesn't open from the outside. Is it worth spending this money for a key when I could get new locks fitted. How much more would that be?

Cheers!
    Hard to tell without knowing what car it is!;) Give your dealer a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not sure if you mean the lock on the passenger door is broken or there isn't one there. Most cars these days with remote central locking don't actually have an outside lock on the front passenger door. At least no cars I have owned for the last 7 or 8 years did anyway.

Most cars made in the last 10 years or so have a factory fitted immobiliser which basically prevents the car from being started without the correct key. The original keys have a transponder code in them is transmitted to the immobiliser when you put the key in the ignition and this allows you to start the car. I think if you want to change the door locks you may have to change the immobiliser too which would be very expensive afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LearntMyLesson

Thanks! It is, as I feared going, to be very expensive to change all the locks.

The car is a V reg Nissan Micra without central locking.

I think I will go and get the key cut at the Nissan dealer - I know some people have bought keys off ebay and programmed them in to their immobilisers successfully...

BUT I am accident prone - so it might not be worth chancing it!

Thanks again!

Advertisement