Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellow bellied slider questions

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Some people have managed it, but more often than not the fish end up as dinner. If you do want to try you should give the fish somewhere to hide that the turtles can't get at them, alo remember the fish will create more dirt in the tank and more frequent water changes will be needed. I would advise against goldfish as if eaten they are very fatty and not good for sliders, if you want something nice to look at for a while try some guppies, you can get nice bright colours and they are nutricious if eaten. (I keep a breeding tank of guppies and give some to my YBS every now and then as a treat)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 reptileguy16

my female res is gravid after a successful mating its cool looking at them doing courtship.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭Alkers

Shelli wrote: »
    Some people have managed it, but more often than not the fish end up as dinner. If you do want to try you should give the fish somewhere to hide that the turtles can't get at them, alo remember the fish will create more dirt in the tank and more frequent water changes will be needed. I would advise against goldfish as if eaten they are very fatty and not good for sliders, if you want something nice to look at for a while try some guppies, you can get nice bright colours and they are nutricious if eaten. (I keep a breeding tank of guppies and give some to my YBS every now and then as a treat)
    I keep fish already so I'd be thinking about adding one to an established tank or setting up a tank purposely for both - could be interesting. How much water do these guys require each, thinking in terms of stocking here. I'm well used to doing water changed etc with the fish already so it shouldn't be too much trouble to adapt to any extra maintenace required. Goldfish would be a no-no as they're coldwater fish and don't live in heated water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

If you keep turtles with fish your gonna have mega problems! trust me;) Also guppies are far too slow to live with turtles, You do realise that RES and YBS grow quite large and wil eventually require a small pond or very big tank. Heres a pic of an adult

http://www.granisturtles.com/sites/LBristow/_files/Image/P8010002c.jpg

You want that in a fish tank?

Advertisement