Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D-Link Router/Modem....

Options
  • 09-03-2007 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

Well,
    Bought this:
    http://www.dlink.co.uk/?go=gNTyP9CgrdFOIC4AStFCF834mptYKO9ZTdvhLPG3yV3oVo5+hKltbNlwaaFp7DQtFzrqyCJG948BANfh

D-Link wireless medem/router,
    Tring to get it to work with BT Broadband, and using it to replace my existing zyxel router/modem that bt provided..
    Did I buy the right thing or am I screwed?, the adsl2+ thing confuses me..

Ive been playing around with settings all day and all last night and I cant get the the bloody thing to establish a connection. The wireless end of things is fine, just the actual Wan connection is not linking up in the status page..

Been to BT's website, gotten the connection settings etc etc, made no difference.
    You cant get BT on the phone.. Waited 50mins last night, and 45 this morning.. Disaster..

I still have this feeling I didnt buy the right thing though..
    Any Suggestions guys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Check that the PPoE method is correct
    Which Annex etc..
    Adsl2+ modems do work on plain vanilla ADSL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

Don't bother ringing BT as they only support there own brand (Zyxel). You will get more expert help on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

hmm PPPoE is LLC mode.

Wan settings page says:
    WAN Setting: PPPoE/PPPoA
    Connection Type: PPPoE LLC

As regard annex,

In the adsl status page of router setup It says:

Modulation: ADSL_G.dmt
    Annex Mode: ANNEX_A
    Line State: Connected

I would consider myself fairly handy with this sort of thing, but this has me completly stumped..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

maybe cable problem ?

Nah, i wouldnt think so. im using the same cable as for the D-link & the zyxel, which is a long telephone lead that came with my dreamcast! Its definiety getting the dsl signal, light on the front indicates that..

What about MTU, MRU Settings?
    Currently they are at 1400 Bytes, and 1492 bytes respectively.

Theres also a ATM Service Category, UBR.

• Advertisement

I had a bug on a different Dlink router where the MTU/MRU was not actually as displayed.

Changing it, saving and changing back fixed it. :(

Also some settings only "really used"/"saved" if you "reboot" via the tools page rather than simply cycling the power.

If i knew what to change them to, or even if they had to be changed..
    Bt dont say anything except as default or preset..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Check the VPI and VCI values are correct

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

Have you tried upgrading the Firmware?

Can you connect to the Zyxel Modem and copy the settings/values from it?

Ryo Hazuki wrote:
    If i knew what to change them to, or even if they had to be changed..
    Bt dont say anything except as default or preset..

Change then to a lower number (say 50 less, it doesn't matter) , save, reboot and then put them back exactly as they are, save and reboot. A bug in some Dlink routers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ryo Hazuki wrote:
    hmm PPPoE is LLC mode.

Wan settings page says:
    WAN Setting: PPPoE/PPPoA
    Connection Type: PPPoE LLC

As regard annex,

In the adsl status page of router setup It says:

Modulation: ADSL_G.dmt
    Annex Mode: ANNEX_A
    Line State: Connected

I would consider myself fairly handy with this sort of thing, but this has me completly stumped..
    Username:
    Password:

Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

Have you put those basic settings correctly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 creavenm

Did you get your Dlink router to work with BT?? I have a D link router that worked greta with UTV until I changed to BT - what a crap move that was

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

creavenm wrote:
    Did you get your Dlink router to work with BT?? I have a D link router that worked greta with UTV until I changed to BT - what a crap move that was

With such a move the only thing that should need changing is the user name and password

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

what os are you using? i know its simple but DLink are not fully compatable with Vista

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 creavenm

Using windows XP. Right in that only the username and password changed, but nothing. Similar problem to the original posting

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dunshrb

I bought Dlink 524 wireless router and ran in to similar problem, plugged my Zylex modem into it (I'm with BT) and could not get internet access though the router. Modem still worked fine on its own.

Anyways the nub of it was DLINK trying to do PPPOE when ZYLEX also does it seems to cause an issue. I disabled PPPOE on the Dlink WAN configuration (since the ZYLEX is doing this anyway) , and told it to use dynamic IP instead - again just for the WAN configuration. That sorted it.

Advertisement