Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golf Equipment - Price War

• 09-03-2007 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hello Everyone,

A friend of mine was telling me, that a new competitor has come on the market selling golf equipment. He wasnt sure of the name.
    Golf outlets such as McGuirks has hence reduced prices to remain competitive. I dropped into McGuirks to investigate and say a set of Callaway X20 irons, 4 to SW selling for 549, i recall these were selling for over 800 a few weeks ago. Does anybody else know anything about this.
    :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Oh dear god, worst attempt of hiding spam ever!!!! :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I wouldn't say it is a price war, McGuirks are always very cheap for callaway in particular. when I got my irons and diver there last year at this time they were cheaper than online.

The x-20s have been 549 in the McGuriks up my way since they came out as far as I can tell.

I know at the moment they are selling the FT-i and FT-5 for 290, when they are 550 in some of the other shops and 300GBP online..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭mccutchie

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Oh dear god, worst attempt of hiding spam ever!!!! :rolleyes:
    I take total offence to that Kenny 5. I've just registered with boards, but i've always reviewed posts with interest. I'm not working with any golf retail outlet. My intention was to start some grown up discussion. I've always been against the prices charged for golf equipment, i cannot imagine the mark up on the products. I was delighted to see a massive reduction on callaways latest irons and felt the community here at boards would like to hear this and maybe discuss. Disappointed with you comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Behave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

careful now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Down with this sort of thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

This is terrible.. just terrible!!

I'm all broke up here.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Are you talking about Premier Golf who have taken over some of the Golf Works shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Nev

Yeh its premier golf clubs at an all time low because mc gurks and premier golf are having somewhat of a price war and matching prices i think its cos premier golf is so new and its a competivite thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bainin

Interesting ... but where is Premier Golf? Web site is just a logo and email address. Doesn't inspire confidence.

• Advertisement

bainin wrote:
    Interesting ... but where is Premier Golf? Web site is just a logo and email address. Doesn't inspire confidence.

there are a few shops around (Newbridge and Red Cow for sure and some others I think) and they have accounts with all the big companies. They were the retailer at the golf show in punchestown last year.

They are hardly new though, and I haven't seen any evidence of a 'price war'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Nev wrote:
    Yeh its premier golf clubs at an all time low because mc gurks and premier golf are having somewhat of a price war and matching prices i think its cos premier golf is so new and its a competivite thing

Price Matching is hardly a war, a war would be one lowering prices and then the other lowering them even further.

Matching prices is more like Price Fixing.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

Absolutely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

copacetic wrote:
    I wouldn't say it is a price war, McGuirks are always very cheap for callaway in particular. when I got my irons and diver there last year at this time they were cheaper than online.

The x-20s have been 549 in the McGuriks up my way since they came out as far as I can tell.

I know at the moment they are selling the FT-i and FT-5 for 290, when they are 550 in some of the other shops and 300GBP online..

when i picked up my x-18s 2 years ago they were 799 so i doubt they were always selling the x-20s at 549, we used to take a hit on certain clubs just to get people in during the off season when i worked there, the clubs will go back to normal price once the golf season proper kicks off mid-april.

The FT-i isn't selling for 290, must have been another club, but the square driver was only launched a month ago and is retailling at 399 not 290, i just checked it with a mate of mine who still works there.

when i picked up my x-18s 2 years ago they were 799 so i doubt they were always selling the x-20s at 549, we used to take a hit on certain clubs just to get people in during the off season when i worked there, the clubs will go back to normal price once the golf season proper kicks off mid-april.

The FT-i isn't selling for 290, must have been another club, but the square driver was only launched a month ago and is retailling at 399 not 290, i just checked it with a mate of mine who still works there.

In the one in Lep they have been 549 since they came in, maybe they will go up as you say. The FT-i was 290 when it first came in last month but it does look like it was a mistake, they must have priced it the same as the FT-5 which came in the same day. It is now up at 399 like you say. The FT-5 is still 290 (Which by the way is a great price for it and a better club imo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

have you swung the FT-i yet, i just didn't like it, i'd be interested to hear what others think, is it just me?

have you swung the FT-i yet, i just didn't like it, i'd be interested to hear what others think, is it just me?

no, I must admit I am biased against it to begin with. i'm purely basing my opinion on stuff I have read on the FT-i and the fact that I hate the look of it! Straight, and not too long seems to be the consensus.

I have hit the Ft-5 though and liked it a lot, just not sure yet if it is enough of a step up from my FT-3 to be worthwhile.

In fairness to the guys in premier they asked me to come in and go on the launch monitor with both so may do that.

Advertisement