Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laser eye surgery?

• 09-03-2007 1:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

I couldn't think of a better place for this, if a mod can feel free to move.

So has anyone here got laser eye surgery? Any thoughts on the whole thing? Are you put under anaesthetic, and then are you stuck in the place to recover for a few days or do you go straight home? Is it sore for a few days afterwards? After how long can you take off the bandages etc etc!

And also, has it made a big difference and do you think its worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I've never had it done, but I know you aren't put under a general anasthetic. Which would kind of put me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Sister had it done, they put drops in your eyes which numbs them, think your in & out in 30mins & have to wear eye protectors for a few days & take drops to keep your eyes from drying out for a few weeks after. People I know have said its the best thing they've ever done however most of them went to blackrock & paid €3-€4k
    There was a write up about it in the Metro/herald am a few weeks back.
    Have been thinking bout switchin from VHI to AVIVAS & getting the surgery done thru them. Anyone on boards go that route??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I may recall seeing an ad for a surgery up the north that were charging around €600 per eye.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'm getting my right eye done on the 30th of this month, not sure when I'm getting the left done.. probably soon enough after

it's a bit of a pain in the arse that I can't wear my contacts for a week or so before the surgery, I hate glasses.. and I'm gona have to get my glasses fecked around with to put a regular pane of glass in place of the right lense after I get the eye done.. hopefully it will be well but I've got a horrible feeling it's going to be kinda disconcerting

the price is around 1500 per eye, but my dad is claiming whatever he can back from uh.. someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Does it last forever or do you have to get it done again a few years down the line?

Can anyone describe the procedure? is it really uncomfortable not being able to blink for half an hour? Better start practising my staring competitions!

• Advertisement

they numb your eyes, and then they have a clamp to keep your eyelids open. the machine they use also tracks your pupil, so if your eye moves at all the laser either automatically shuts off or there is a pedal that the surgeon presses to shut it off, and then correct it before starting again.

It should last until you reach old age and then you're more than likely going to need glasses for reading, there's nothing that can be done about that.. although my dad said he is getting some sort of surgery to correct his far-sightedness so I don't know.. but the actual laser surgery itself should last for a pretty long time.

different procedures have different healing times, and different levels of comfort.. I think the one I'm getting heals after a day, but there are ones that take a week or so.. you're best off asking somebody who actually performs the procedure.. shouldn't cost too much to get a test done at an optician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I'll let you know on the 23rd march ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

i got mine done with Orbit last September, and I highly recommend them. Very Very professional and friendly, the actual surgry took ten minutes for both eyes and was no bother.

total cost was 995 per eye, plus extra 400 for wavefront per eye so that equaled 2790, less tax back of 1100, net cost was 1690 or 845 per eye. And their surgery is based in West Point so thats only 15 minutes from my house....I would highly recommend getting it done (but only if your suitable), and I would highly recommend getting it done with Orbit.

PM me if you want any other info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

i'd love to get this done but my eye sight is too poor for it to work so i'm stuck with contacts forever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Keith C wrote:
    Have been thinking bout switchin from VHI to AVIVAS & getting the surgery done thru them. Anyone on boards go that route??

Have been considering that myself. Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭Mitzy

I had mine done about 4 years ago with Dr. Benedict Smith in Terenure. I can honestly say that it was the best thing ever. Total freedom from glasses. There are 2 different types of lazer surgery. Lazix or PKR. The type of surgery will depend on whether you have a stigmatism or not. They anaethise the eyes with drops and the procedure itself only takes about 30 seconds per eye.
    I was in pain for a couple of days afterwards but loads of my friends have had it done since & were fine (i was just unlucky).
    It is meant to last for years but I would have it done every 5 years if i had to!! I was quite blind but have 20/20 vision now. Go for it. Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Yeah, I had mine done in Optilase about 2 years ago, cost 1400 for both eyes if I remember corectly, probably cheaper now. Have only good things to say about the place. I can't really add anything about the precedure that hasn't been said but here is a video of the actual precedure being carried out. You might not want to watch it if your already nervous about having it done, then again it might ease your nerves to know before hand whats involved. The procedure shown is Lasik. Although it looks a little ehh, uncomfortable, there is absalutley no pain or sensation during the procedure. I can't remember now if I had lasik or lasek but the one I got done they said was the best option for me because I do contact sports and with the other option repeated impacts to the eyes can tear the cornea flap back open. I'll try to find out which I had done and post. If you have more specific questions, post them and I'll awnser them for you.

http://www.break.com/index/lasix_eye_surgery_up_close.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've been considering this myself. I have pretty poor vision in both eyes - short sightedness. I've no idea if i'm suitable or not though. I've been wearing glasses since I was 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

So whos the blindest on boards??

Im -4.5 in both eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

I've been considering it... I suppose the most valid question I can ask is what's the procedure for getting a consultation? Go to your local Specsavers optician, or Blackrock (or a similar clinic) yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭F1fan

I had mine done in Optilase in Belfast in November. It cost 1300 euro for both eyes. It was so well worth it. I really do regret not getting it done sooner,all those contact lenses I've been through! I found it too be 'uncomfortable' rather than sore,but it only lasted a short time. Can't recommend it enough.

Judt wrote:
    I've been considering it... I suppose the most valid question I can ask is what's the procedure for getting a consultation? Go to your local Specsavers optician, or Blackrock (or a similar clinic) yourself?

basically you just ring up whichever clinic you are thinking about getting it done in and they will arange a consultation date and time for you over the phone and probably send you out a letter and some information on the procedure and the clinic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

What type of tax relief do you get on the cost of the surgery?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭mcdonnst

Cianos wrote:
    I may recall seeing an ad for a surgery up the north that were charging around €600 per eye.

That is Optical express. €599 an eye free consultation.

They are big in UK and Europe.

Heres a link http://www.opticalexpress.ie/

I got glasses from them, very cheap.

BaZmO* wrote:
    What type of tax relief do you get on the cost of the surgery?

Its around 50%, i can't remember the exact figure but its roughly half the cost.

• Advertisement

I'd wanna be certain the place has a good rep before I let them do a Star Wars job on my eyes, though. I would assume that Blackrock isn't in the habit of blinding its rich patients... where else is good, on top of the west point clinic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

I had it done in January and so far my eyesight has been corrected from -9 in both eyes to -1 and 0.5 so it's been a huge improvement but I'm not yet seeing perfectly. I need to wait for the stabilisation period to end (July) at which point my sight will be 20/20 or thereabouts or else I will need a top up for the final -1/-.05.

Really glad I did it though, I am now free from glasses after being totally dependent on them for 25 years! It cost E3,000 for both eyes, and the procedure was painless although my eyes did burn for a few hours afterwards.

Razzle wrote:
    I had it done in January and so far my eyesight has been corrected from -9 in both eyes to -1 and 0.5 so it's been a huge improvement but I'm not yet seeing perfectly. I need to wait for the stabilisation period to end (July) at which point my sight will be 20/20 or thereabouts or else I will need a top up for the final -1/-.05.

Really glad I did it though, I am now free from glasses after being totally dependent on them for 25 years! It cost E3,000 for both eyes, and the procedure was painless although my eyes did burn for a few hours afterwards.
    From -9? I assume your pupils would have been quite large... I thought that was a bar to laser eye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭shakaman

There's 2 ways of getting laser treatment done:

a) As described by Senor Kenny C
    b) You go in under general anaesthetic and what they do is cut a flap in the skin of the eye with a tiny blade and then lift that flap to allow a laser pass through to the lens to correct it. This method has a much quicker recovery time.

I got mine done through method b) in 2002 and it cost £1200 back then, I was back in work in 4 days. When I got it done they gave me this mad pair of Terminator 2 specs because your eyes are so sensitive to the light, must admit I was worried but knew it went well as when I was getting a lift home was able to read all the signposts out the window of the car! They give you painkillers and some serious elephant sleepin pills, I went to sleep at 6pm and woke up at midday the next day.

I was -7.5 in one eye and -5 in the other and it's the best thing I ever got done, as I hated my specs and play alot of sports.

On how long it lasts, the surgery fixes your eyes but your eyes as per everyone who's short or long sighted will deteriorate over time, so you generally get 10-12 years before you need to get specs or have the surgery again, I for one will be going for the surgery again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I'd love to get my eyes done but i've read that the worse your eyesight is, and the older you are the higher the risks so at 37 and with -8.5 and -8 I'm not sure i want to risk it!

or maybe I'm just a chicken!
    So do I have the worst eyesight on boards now that razzles eyes are fixed?

littlebug wrote:
    I'd love to get my eyes done but i've read that the worse your eyesight is, and the older you are the higher the risks so at 37 and with -8.5 and -8 I'm not sure i want to risk it!

I'm 35 and I went for it : )

Judt wrote:
    From -9? I assume your pupils would have been quite large... I thought that was a bar to laser eye?

I was not suitable for all procedures and had Lasik in the end, but I don't remember any mention of large pupils to be honest, or anything else that might cause an issue.

I don't know if my strong presription is the reason I didn't get to 20/20 in one go, or if I'm just one of those few who didn't have full success first time around. Hopefully I can get it resolved within a few months either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

littlebug wrote:

I was -6.75 in both eyes and got the surgery done 2 Years ago in the wellington clinic. Got both eyes done together and were fine for the first month or so then
    gradually went slightly short sighted again. so 6 months later I got one eye done again with wavefront and it was such a success I insisted on having the second eye done again also. 2 Years on and I have never had such good eyesight even at night I can see peoples faces in the distance which I never experienced with glasses..

i don't know where optical express get that figure of 599 an eye from, I saw the same on the window of the place I went to get tested and they quoted me 1690 per eye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Got both eyes done with the LASEK treatment (with Wavefront) last Autum for €3K in Optilase (just off Baggot Street, D2). Vivas gave me €1K for it and I claimed another €850 approx back in tax so total was approx €1,150

Optilase do both LASIK and LASEK, but as I was suitable for both, they recommeded LASEK (less chance of infection or something). With LASEK, surgean numbs the eye with a few drops, clamps your eyelids, scrapes the eye and shoots the laser. Total op takes about 20 minutes. No pain, just feels weird.

First 2 days are spent pretty much in bed. No pain unless you have your eyes open for more than half an hour at a time. The next 2 days, you can have your eyes open the whole time and no pain unless you watch tv or use a computer etc for more than half an hour. By day 5, everything fine. (Vision is pratically perfect the whole time). Night glare for about a month (mildly annoying, but even if it had been permanent, I still would have ben glad to get it done).

LASIK is where they cut a flap in your eye, shorter recovery time (2 days I think), but because they actually made an incision there's more of a chance of infection or something else going wrong. I know loads of people who have gotten both treatment and none have had horror stories (worst case seems to be that it takes a day or 2 longer longer to recover etc or the night glare lasting for a couple months)

The consultation is free and (don't know about other places) Optialse are open late in the evening and saturday mornings. Even if you don't thhink you will be suitable, go and talk to them. Consulation last an hour and they do all sorts of cool laser tests..

Dubsmax wrote:
    I was -6.75 in both eyes and got the surgery done 2 Years ago in the wellington clinic. Got both eyes done together and were fine for the first month or so then
    gradually went slightly short sighted again. so 6 months later I got one eye done again with wavefront and it was such a success I insisted on having the second eye done again also. 2 Years on and I have never had such good eyesight even at night I can see peoples faces in the distance which I never experienced with glasses..
    I've heard of special forces units in the US requiring their soldiers to get laser eye done because it can improve night vision.

All interesting, I must get a consultation. How long does it usually take to get an appointment for the surgery itself? Any age restrictions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

It's good to see everyone is so enthusiastic about this surgery.
    I got glasses about six years ago and have never really got used to them so seriouly thinking about getting it done.
    I'm slightly astigmatic i think but that doesn't present too much of a problem I hear?
    I play sports too so it would really enhance that experience. I've never got contacts so when I'm playing GAA I can never see who's just scored up the other end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Keith C wrote:

Im -4.5 in both eyes

I'm -5.5 in both.

HA!!...or maybe not ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

slipss wrote:

argh that's scary looking...but everyone who's had it done is encouraging me to follow suit...decisions, incisions :(

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

MAYPOP wrote:
    argh that's scary looking...but everyone who's had it done is encouraging me to follow suit...decisions, incisions :(

Its mad to think that 6 months after the flap was cut on My eyes the surgeon could open it again with cutting a new one :eek: I must have been determined to have perfect vision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Very interested in getting this done too, does anyone know of a very highly recommended clinic. Even if it is more expensive. Eye surgery is not something to be considering looking for the cheapest possible surgeon....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

My Eyesight is -1.25 both eyes and I am short-sighted (Myopia) I don't wear glasses or contacts as I think my vision is still good enough plus I am only 19 (20) come a weeks time. I'd say it is a good idea for someone older.

My uncle however is 48 and has had a long history of eye problems, he has now only one eye with 60% vision (watch out for furze thorns please) and he could get this up to 95% with laser surgery but was advised by his optician not to have it done as if anything went wrong he would be blind; so obviously there are risks involved.

As for getting it done cheap; for jeez sake people I rate my eyesight 2nd only to my life. Going for the Ryanair of Laser eye surgery with somebody like Dr. Nick from the Simpsons is inadvisable, get a loan or whatever is needed just don't cut corners with something so important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I heard they don't do it until your older because then your eyes have stopped changing, only age I've heard is 25... anyone got it done younger than that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 eviecarwash

Netwhizkid, I'm also -1.25 in both eyes and I have to wear glasses to drive (legally) so although you think your vision is fine if you go for a driver's licence you'll have to get glasses! Just to warn you. I got my first pair in October and I couldn't believe how much better my eyesight is with them.. I was shocked! :) Don't think I'm bad enough for laser but I'd love to get it done

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm also -1.25 in both eyes and I have to wear glasses to drive (legally)
    I'm +3.5 in both eyes and was told that I was ok to drive without my glasses a few years ago. I laughed at the optitian and told him he was stupid as I bumped into the door on the way out of the test before putting my glasses back on again.

• Advertisement

BopNiblets wrote:
    I heard they don't do it until your older because then your eyes have stopped changing, only age I've heard is 25... anyone got it done younger than that?
    The age thing is something I've been wondering about. I know a chap who went into the Gardai and had his eyes lasered at 18 / 19 or thereabouts, I've heard others say 21 and others again say 25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Keith C wrote:

Im -4.5 in both eyes

I'm -4.75! In your face!! But jaysus, some people -8!! Is that not certified blind?? I find my eyes get worse every time I get new lenses.

How bad is too bad to get it??? Surely the neediest should be catered for??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

ever wonder why lots of eye surgeons wear glasses??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭MikeTheMan

i got mine done in December - i am 26.

I had Epi-Lasek with Wavefront and got it done in Optimax Clinic in Belfast.
    My perscription was -2.50 and -2.75

Perfect vision now, took about 2 weeks for the haziness to go away. Painless procedure, best thing I ever spent money on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

If a person gets laser eye surgery then that's it. I presume say hypothetically speaking if I got it done now at 19 then I could not get it done if my eyes went bad later on in life at say 40 or 50.

Or can you have this surgery done more than once? or could you shave they eye as shown in that clip and have laser done at different persiods in life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Keith C wrote:

Im -4.5 in both eyes

Im -7.25 in both eyes :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

My mother got it done about 1 month ago.
    She had it done in the blackrock clinic.
    2,100 per eye = 4,200 total but they put 100 of that under the consultation fee.

It went really well for her. They gave her a vallum tablet which relaxed her heavily, did both eyes there and then with a 10 min break. They were sensitive for a few days after wards. All the stories about going back to work the same day seem like a load of crap to me. kept the lights low for the whole day etc.
    It worked out great though, she might need to use her reading glasses soon though but her eye sight is much better in general. She can see things like the tv, signs, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cianos wrote:
    No. STARTING at €600 per eye. If you're half blind, its still proberly a few grand.
    littlebug wrote:
    If you look into it, you'll find that some of the treatments are designed for the older folk and some don't involve slicing your eye at all.
    Dubsmax wrote:
    Its mad to think that 6 months after the flap was cut on My eyes the surgeon could open it again with cutting a new one :eek: I must have been determined to have perfect vision.
    Could you say where, and which procedure did you get done? Just so when I go in fo a consyltation, I'll have a few questions for them.
    Judt wrote:
    The age thing is something I've been wondering about. I know a chap who went into the Gardai and had his eyes lasered at 18 / 19 or thereabouts, I've heard others say 21 and others again say 25.
    Your eyes have to be the same perscription for at least a year. And untill you're about 21, your eyes will be changing.

=-=

If and when I do it, I'll take a week or two off work, as I work on a computer. TBH, f**k work. My eyes mean more to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭loopyloulou

Got mine done on the 27th January by the Orbit Laser Eye Clinic. They were fantastic, the staff are so nice, they put you totally at ease. I had Lasik surgery, it cost €985 per eye. My prescription was -3 and -3.5. The link that was posted earlier shows exactly what happens in the op, its weird seeing the doc messing around with your eyeball but you cant feel a thing after they put the numbing drops in. I was in and out in 20 mins, my eyes stung straight after it but they advise to go home and sleep so i did, woke up about 3 hours later, went downstaairs and could see the tv perfectly!! Went for a checkup the following morning and could read the bottom line with the tiny letters, i even drove home myself. Got it done on a Friday and was back in work on Tuesday. Best money ive ever spent and would recommend it to anyone.
    Lou

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 DJW7

Going for a consultation with Optilase on Thursday. will hopefully be eligible for the LASEK

anyone know if they have a long waiting list? or how long it would normally be from consultation to surgery?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement