Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International Poker Open

• 09-03-2007 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭

Ok guys,

I've had a little bit of time on my hands since the student event and myself and Derek along with sponsorship from the Green Joker Poker crew want to put on something special.

The buy-in of €3,500 for the Irish Open is out of touch for a lot of people so we thought we would put on an international open (open to all players more or less).

The buy-in will be €100 + €20 registration.
    Location; RDS, Ballbridge, D.4
    Date and Start Time; Saturday June 16th (just in time for the WSOP) with a 12 noon start.
    Blind structure is still to be finalised but probably a half hour clock with a 10,000 starting stack.
    Three day event.
    Day two will be played on the Sunday 17th until we reach a final table and Final Table will be played on the evening of Monday June 18th.

Expected Prize-pool €100,000.

WE ARE AIMING FOR A FIELD OF 1,000 PLAYERS.
    Please tell everyone you know about this idea as we are looking for feedback/ideas and want to hear what you think.
    We just want to involve every poker player in the country and from overseas in one major event.

stephen@pokerireland.ie

Mods; Sorry that this doesn't strictly apply to the charter but I will edit over the next couple of weeks as we confirm details.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

Wow! If you get the 1000 runners this will be an amazing event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

BigDragon wrote:
    Wow! If you get the 1000 runners this will be an amazing event.

Definitely want to get you involved in this Dragon, if we can get the majority of players signing up to one percent pledge that would be great.

Most obvious thing I forgot to mention is that all registration will be done online through GJP and all players must open accounts etc......There will be lots of special offers involved because of this including a really really good last longer prize for players that are signed up before May 16th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭smurph

Brillant idea lads and good luck with it. I will definitely be playing in this one.

Please only pay final table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'd obviously play - it sounds so ambitious though. I have no idea how you could ever pull it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

without a doubt I'm in, best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭pokerscene

I would definately play and anything i could to do to promote this i would be glad to help stephen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

im win too stephen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭fiddlesticks

Damn..will be in states for this.:mad: Bad beat..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I wish you all the best with this, I would play it but I will likely be in Vegas.

I would suggest increasing the buyin. Also, its called the 'International Poker Open', I can't see many people traveling from oversea's specifically for a 100e buyin event.

Damn..will be in states for this.:mad: Bad beat..

You're in the states!! Bad beat?? :confused:

Have loads of drink and sex and go to Vegas instead ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

:(

I'm probably gonna be in vegas for june. I'd love to play this tho, is it certainly gonna be on this date?
    Date and Start Time; Saturday June 16th (just in time for the WSOP) with a 12 noon start.

have it coincide with the wsop main event instead....it's in july...please....

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    I'd obviously play - it sounds so ambitious though. I have no idea how you could ever pull it off.

Obviously none of this is confirmed yet, we still have to hammer out just about every detail and by aiming for 1,000 players we hope to make the 7/800 mark.

Should be a piece of cake compared to the student event though, hee hee.

i would suggest not having to go through pokerireland to register as that seemed to be the most ocnfusing part last time. good idea though.

i would suggest not having to go through pokerireland to register as that seemed to be the most ocnfusing part last time. good idea though.

You would get confused if I told you to turn up on the day with cash........Its probably going to be the same except this time nobody will have trouble registering as it won't be a restricted entry or any of that.....All still in the pipeline anyway Joe so we don't know yet, very early days.....

Anyone starting a book on over or under 800 players???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Like Fiddler, love to play but I believe I will be in LA at the time. It's a tough life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

i was really likeing the sound of this, and was even telling people about it,
    then I seen fiddler's and cookers's comments,
    and suddenly I remember i will be in the states too,

any way you could move it forward a week ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Solksjaer

carfax wrote:
    You would get confused if I told you to turn up on the day with cash........Its probably going to be the same except this time nobody will have trouble registering as it won't be a restricted entry or any of that.....All still in the pipeline anyway Joe so we don't know yet, very early days.....

Anyone starting a book on over or under 800 players???

Over 800 players? Wow has that happened before in Ireland?

600 would be pretty good achievement.

My suggestions

150 Entery fee (including reg) 3 day event

1 x 75 Euro tournney side event each day.

The online route ONLY to registration is not good and will limit your numbers (IMO) , as people do like to turn up with dough also and pay and play.
    Good luck , I hope to play.....

Solksjaer wrote:
    Over 800 players? Wow has that happened before in Ireland?

600 would be pretty good achievement.

My suggestions

150 Entery fee (including reg) 3 day event

1 x 75 Euro tournney side event each day.

The online route ONLY to registration is not good and will limit your numbers (IMO) , as people do like to turn up with dough also and pay and play.
    Good luck , I hope to play.....

150 including reg? That would prob be 130 + 20......Might change it to that alright as it will push up the prize-pool by so much more......Anybody got any views on this?

The online only route will also offer players a lot of great promotions so in that sense it might well help to get more players......
    Everyone said the same about the Student Champs but in the end players will adapt to the necessary system......
    Plus its the only way I can organise something of this size as it means I can organise dealers, tables, chips and all of that with plenty of advance notice......I don't want to organise 100 dealers to turn up on the day and have to send half of them home......

• Advertisement

carfax wrote:
    That would prob be 130 + 20......Might change it to that alright as it will push up the prize-pool by so much more......Anybody got any views on this?

Ideal. If you do this, you need to get tough on players (and yourself) and strictly close registration at least a week in advance of the event so that you can pinpoint exactly the amount of dealers // tables etc. you require on the day. And I think dealers would be a major issue given the size of the proposed event and the time of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

I'll be back from vegas just in time for this Steven so cound me in.

If theres anything we can do to help promote this event for you just let us know. Keith was telling me you were talking to him about this last sunday and it seems a wicked idea.
    I def agree on making it accessible to "every poker" player...whether they're good or bad.
    The interest is out there for something like this so its just a matter of nailing it down.

We'd be interested in making a sponsorship donation towards this if it goes ahead. As you know, we like to see well structured tourneys. :)

Keep me informed anyways buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭MickL

Ill more or likely be in AMerica during this but would love to play might even fly back for it wow 999 fish for me all in one hall yay lol :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭PiperT

Great idea but I don't see people travelling from UK/Europe where the event buy-in is actually cheaper than their flights/accomodation.

I will play it one way or the other but I think there is an appetite out there for a €250-€500 buy-in event with a similar structure. JMHO.

Good Luck with it.

PiperT wrote:
    I will play it one way or the other but I think there is an appetite out there for a €250-€500 buy-in event with a similar structure..
    there are so many of these already
    Poker events, Big slick, Fitz 500, Macua festival...the list is endless a well advertised huge tournament for 150 would be unreal and id sense a great buzz about the place too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭PiperT

there are so many of these already
    Poker events, Big slick, Fitz 500, Macua festival...the list is endless a well advertised huge tournament for 150 would be unreal and id sense a great buzz about the place too!

Hi Joe

I agree with you with regard to the local scene. I was really talking about the "International" aspect. We only seem to get the overseas players to the big events such as IPC, Irish Open e.t.c. where the buy-ins are anywhere between €1.5k and €3.5k - A €500 International would have more appeal in my view. Now I'm going to shut up ! lol (fitz later ?)

T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

great idea €150 sounds perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

ste,

great idea would go with the 130 and 20 reg, and look to pay the final table

800 runners and 10 paid? that sounds absolutely ridiculous, why would anyone play for 2 dyas for nothing??

• Advertisement

800 runners and 10 paid? that sounds absolutely ridiculous, why would anyone play for 2 dyas for nothing??
    If the buy-in is so low then you want to incentivise players to play by making 1st - 9th relatively large compared to the buy-in. I would advocate paying 1/2/3 only if I think I could get away with it. Imagine this if only 1 got paid. Think of the PR ... €100k for €120.

Now thats an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

I couldn't help being a bit shocked by a €20 fee for a €100 or even a €130 event, it seems high to me, is that usual in Ireland?

I'm guessing it might have tio do with the amount of organisation that has to go into it, but just asking anyway.

luckylucky wrote:
    I couldn't help being a bit shocked by a €20 fee for a €100 or even a €130 event, it seems high to me, is that usual in Ireland?

I'm guessing it might have tio do with the amount of organisation that has to go into it, but just asking anyway.

Norm for events outside card clubs

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Norm for events outside card clubs

Fair enough, I suppose venue higher and extra organisation and all that, makes sense.

pretty cheap reg for a 3day event tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

BigDragon wrote:
    If the buy-in is so low then you want to incentivise players to play by making 1st - 9th relatively large compared to the buy-in. I would advocate paying 1/2/3 only if I think I could get away with it. Imagine this if only 1 got paid. Think of the PR ... €100k for €120.

Now thats an event.

The buy-in is "low", but thats whats going to bring in the 800 players.

The average player is 266/1 to make the money if you pay the top 3. Anyone who thinks this is good value needs their head examined. We talk about poker being a skill game, this would be turning into a lottery and a really bad advertisement for poker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Great idea Stephen, I would definately be interested in this. I think the buy-in is perfect at between €100 - €150 as an more than that and your pricing a lot of recreational players out of it. Particularly if your looking to over 800 players. at €150 it would be a great value tournament and you only need to get one player from overseas to class it as "international"!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭5pin5

good idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

Realistically steve is this number achieveable bud , wuld be good to see it ... Costs for the 3 day event have to come into it .. can u cover your costs on €20 reg 3 day 90 dealers rds room hire.. This seems hard .. But have to say u got it for the student event so i dont doubt u for one minute .. You have my support of course my friend ... I just would not take this on financially myself ........ Your Reg fee is crucial here needs to be at least €30 for a 3 day event and then u need to hit top figures as the dealers will take a huge chunk of this ..

Not to mention your advertising budget on this and food for 3 day event ...

Best of luck -- Where the fck u goin to get 80-90 tables christy smith will be lickin his lips if he reads this :D:D:D

Give us a bell soon need ya to do some sats for our 500 game if u can ... If u can get this goin im pullin u in for our 500 game as i said bell me over the weekend mate

Thanks
    Neill K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

luckylucky wrote:

Seriously - :D:D:D:D thats £13 sterling lucky lol ...
    U poppin over for our 500 Freezeout in may ... Ah u will see the adds in card plyer and poker europa next month anyhow ....

TTYL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭The Clamper

Thanks for your concern lads and you are in the business so you know how hard it would be to put on a tourney of this magnitude for such a small reg fee

however;

we have a cunning plan

wanna know how we intend to do it ??????

investment in the future of poker in Ireland, thats what we are up to, so what if it costs us money, the good of the game is what its all about

we want to run and manage professionally run tournaments on a large scale snd give excemplary value to the players of the future, we dont even mind who plays, newbies can afford it and oldies will want to be in for the value

oldies will pass on their skills and newbies will frighten the life out of them people who cant get their head around the new "play with any ace" players,

this will be a Las Vegas style main event tournament with loads of time to play due to the long blind structure, as in the National Student Poker Championships. It took 14 hours to reach the final table with just 300 runners.

you may also rest assured that we will be in touch Nicky and JP and so on, for intercooperation between us as usual, and some assistance in getting dealers etc.

would you believe that some players, some of which cant make it to the event, are already moaning about how high the reg fee is, even though they wont be playing ???
    personally i would love to be able to play in it myself, so if any of you guys want to do something similar, get in touch and count me in,

in most tourneys, you get 1 st place and maybe 20/25 times your entry fee, this will likely be 200 times your entry fee for 1st, now thats what i call value

the guy who posted, his version of the odds of reaching the final table, clearly doesnt look at "value calling" when playing poker and i am not here to give lessons, so the less about him the better
    personally, i cant wait, really looking forward to the challenge of getting it together, the logistics, promotion, advertising, arranging dealers, chips, tables, light, heat, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc, oooh baby lets get it on

The Clamper

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the feedback guys,

I've had a couple of really good developments regarding this tournament already so I'm looking forward to it gaining momentum......

We'll definitely look at the buy-in and take on board opinions posted here......More to follow v.soon hopefully......

Keep the posts going and don't worry too much about the costs involved lads, thats our problem and I'm not one to worry about money......(complete lie).....Obviously €20 registration is the very minimum that we can run with this tournament and in fact it will more than likely run at a huge loss but what the hell, I think a tournament like this will be a good laugh and a nice payday for a good few players......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I'll be in America all summer too, disaster...Sounds like an amazing event though, wish I could play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭The Clamper

ok, look i have heard enough of how many players will be in America while this tourney is on, lets move the bloody thing to America and it should be huge, we might even let Americans play too, if they pay extra.

:D:D

Seriously - :D:D:D:D thats £13 sterling lucky lol ...
    U poppin over for our 500 Freezeout in may ... Ah u will see the adds in card plyer and poker europa next month anyhow ....

TTYL

It wasn't the amount of the reg that shocked me, it was just the %, 20%, but as Lloyd explained costs are higher when it's run offsite, so it makes sense. I'm not a regular live game player, so was just curious if it was the norm. Anyway I don't think I'm coming back to the fatherland to play poker or going anywhere to play poker over the next few months unfortunately, I'm immigrating once again, off to sunny Portugal instead of this god forsaken saxon land :D , so too much upheaval to be planning any more poker trips. Hopefully one day I can come over and meet up with some of the people on here, and ye can give me yeer best abuse as long as ye buy me a pint after :D

Edit: Hmm though wouldn't rule out May. What event is that big slick?

ok, look i have heard enough of how many players will be in America while this tourney is on, lets move the bloody thing to America and it should be huge, we might even let Americans play too, if they pay extra.

:D:D

move it july/may! please.....:D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It'll be good to win this just before I head to Vegas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

investment in the future of poker in Ireland, thats what we are up to, so what if it costs us money, the good of the game is what its all about
    This is a bit suspicious, this is exactly what Fintan Gavin said when he started running tourneys in the Red Cow (the ones with capped prize pools and an interesting approach to tipping). You could have sworn he was running a charity and not some kind of cowboy poker operation.

That said I have every faith in Stephen to run a good event and I don't think I know the Clamper but he can't be all bad. Hope this goes well for you, and good to see youre still thinking big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

keep it at a 100 bucks. sounds like fun. you're gonna get a lot of exposure on this one. be sure to dot your i's and cross your t's with the revenue commissioners.
    with the coming regulation of casinos in Ireland I can see Michael McDowell asking them to take a good look at a high profile tournament.
    i'm not kidding either.
    definately gonna play btw.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Just realised I won't be in the country for this which makes me very angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭30something

I'm in - would prefer a E150 (E130 + E20) then E100 inc E20 any day. You could keep costs down by getting players to pay for own meals, E20 won't cover meals for 3 days and I doubt the players would whinge (too much).

Any chance of organising creche facilities at the event ... ? My 3rd kid is due on 26th May. 3 of them under 5 - god help me!

• Advertisement
Advertisement