Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router Connection help

Options
  • 09-03-2007 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Don't know if this is in the right section but anyways......

My Friend is trying to set up a router to give wireless to his laptop he is getting broadband from a company called westlink which i think is one of those line of sight dishes.

When trying to install the belkin router the installation usind the cd fails because the computer fails to pick up and configure the router. He is using a static ip address. This kinda pushes my limits of computing knowledge so any help is appreciated....

I was thinking that maybe it has somthing to do with the line of sight broadband dish, there is a lan cable going into a little tiny box and then another from that into the computer (the internet works fine when the cable goes straight into the back). His laptop is able to pick up the router when it is turned on using wirless but it doesn't show up in the My Network Places but that probably needs to be set up...

Cheers

:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Hi camo,

Did westlink issue him with a static IP? Which he enters manually for his network card?

The IP address must be set to automatic in order to get an IP address from the belkin and then connect to the setup page of the router.

The IP info which westlink gave him must be entered into the WAN setup section of the router. This is so because the belkin is now going to handle the internet, not his laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Camo1725

Yea he was issued with a static ip, i will try turning it onto automatic and see if i can connect then, i will try connecting directly to it without going through the wizard

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Camo1725

Hey cheers man that worked :D

Advertisement