Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking rubber grommets...

Options
  • 09-03-2007 2:52pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm looking to fill in some boltholes drilled in metal. As a temporary, waterproof solution I was hoping to find some sort of "grommet" to fit in the holes. The holes are max 5-6mm in diameter (with a couple around 3mm).

Anyone know where in Dublin (south preferably) I'd pick these up, or what I should ask for?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

CHEERS!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You could try Abbey Seals in JFK Industrial Estate - they do all sorts of seals and grommets. Would it be possible to use a metal 'filler' similar to Isopon? You could always just fill it with a waterproof sealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

I'd have to agree with crosstownk...
    Car body fillers should do the trick... I have a two part epoxy paste which claims to be able to repair holes in metal water tanks etc etc, it's called PC Woody.. an American product, something like that should work.
    It does depend on the application though...
    Even duct or insulation tape, if well applied and rubbed very hard (heat will activate the glue) could work in some cases...
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Depending on the size of the holes you can mush in a candle.
    A tapered candle will work well for this, assuming you dont want to be able to undo/redo frequently.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Thanks folks... all good.

To clarify it's actually sheet metal, so I'm not sure I can use filler as there isn't really anything to "fill". That's why I'm looking for something with a 'cap' perhaps that might sit in the hole. The closest I can think of to what I had in mind is that plastic bit that sits on top of a Bic biro...

Cheers... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

What about simply using a nut and bolt with waterproof washers? - I'm assuming you have handy access to both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

crosstownk wrote:
    What about simply using a nut and bolt with waterproof washers? - I'm assuming you have handy access to both sides.
    That was the original plan, but there's only about 5 mm clearance underneath some of the holes... I couldn't find a bolt/washer size that small.

I should have mentioned that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

how about a pop rivet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Try wrapping PTFE tape around any part that needs sealing maybe?

Maybe tape up one side ,apply some epoxy resin/filler and then tape the other side. When it's gone hard remove the tape :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Get some aluminium tape ( on a roll like ordinary tape ) it will keep water out and won't leave sticky residue like duct tape. I have used it , stayed put for a year no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

That was the original plan, but there's only about 5 mm clearance underneath some of the holes... I couldn't find a bolt/washer size that small.

I should have mentioned that!

You could grind/file/turn the heads of bolts down ...... even 3mm would be enough as long as you take care in tightening (perhaps use a sealer with the washers) .... :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement