Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Offer 15th March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I tried to get one as well they were sold out going to drive down the country after work to see if I have any luck.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Lockster

Just for info I got one in Aldi in Tallaght. I was there at 8.30 and there was already about 50 people in a queue outside. Luckily most of them seemed to be more interested in the Digital Camera. At about 8.45 the manager came out and asked who wanted the Sat Nav, there were about 10 people in front of me they had between 20 and 25 for sale, so she gave out tickets to those people from the front to the back. Luckily I got a ticket and at 9 when they opened the doors you just went to the checkout gave in your ticket and were given one. I would say anyone who wasn't in the queue by 9.40 didn't get one. I was amazed by how many people were waiting for the place to open just to do there normal shopping!

Anyway I've not tried it properly yet, just charging it up and playing a little in the office. I was actually amazed at how quickly it found the it's location, even with me sitting at my desk by a window. I'll see if I can fool it on the way home tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

craichoe wrote:
    Banks not ATMS, Service Stations, restaurants and many more
    You're sure banks in the republic are on it?

How about toll roads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

it seems decent enough for 200 euros.
    strange feeling queueing up outside aldi at 8.30 in the morning.

anyone else getting the "start is not valid location" error.

i'm getting this error when I tap "drive to" wherever.
    the gps is on so I don't know why it can't see my start as a valid location and calculate a route..

same error happens under "plan route" if i leave my starting point as "current position" (again the gps is working fine).

anyone know why this might be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Doh ! . Yeh .. banks are just for the north ! ...

Petrol Stations are there though, toursit attractions and stuff .. shops and restaurants in cork anyway. A fair whack from the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Lockster wrote:
    Just for info I got one in Aldi in Tallaght. I was there at 8.30 and there was already about 50 people in a queue outside. Luckily most of them seemed to be more interested in the Digital Camera. At about 8.45 the manager came out and asked who wanted the Sat Nav, there were about 10 people in front of me they had between 20 and 25 for sale, so she gave out tickets to those people from the front to the back. Luckily I got a ticket and at 9 when they opened the doors you just went to the checkout gave in your ticket and were given one. I would say anyone who wasn't in the queue by 9.40 didn't get one. I was amazed by how many people were waiting for the place to open just to do there normal shopping!

Anyway I've not tried it properly yet, just charging it up and playing a little in the office. I was actually amazed at how quickly it found the it's location, even with me sitting at my desk by a window. I'll see if I can fool it on the way home tonight.

I was the first person in Tallaght not to get a ticket, the lad in front of me got one! Dam - yep there was loads there for the camera

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭nodolan

Missed it as well. Aldi on the Grange Road in Cork was out of them as soon as the doors opened. I'm gonna git me one of dem Garmin Etrex Vista Cx - I had a Garmin eTrex before with the grayscale screen and it was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Thanks for rubbing it in :mad:

Glad its good, will keep an eye out for on ein the future.

Aldi seems to be the only place that sells them, cant get it online anywhere either, not even ebay:confused:
    Did you ever notice that Aldi & Lidls' offers usually follow each other. Eg; biker gear in Lidl last week, it's on sale in Aldi next week. So hang on a while Gary and keep an aye on Lidls' home page.
    If you need a satnav in a hurry Power City Finglas has an Aris for €270.

Did you ever notice that Aldi & Lidls' offers usually follow each other. Eg; biker gear in Lidl last week, it's on sale in Aldi next week. So hang on a while Gary and keep an aye on Lidls' home page.

Good point. Thats what i was hoping, i recckon it will be a different system though, but fingers crossed we see some action form lidl over the next couple of weeks.

Might head out to finglas and have a look at the Aris, although my max budget was 200euro (im a poor at the mo).

Im looking into a number of different options at the moment, including some Medions and PDA's with GPS.

I will get a good cheap sat nav yet!!

mkennedy wrote:
    it seems decent enough for 200 euros.
    strange feeling queueing up outside aldi at 8.30 in the morning.

anyone else getting the "start is not valid location" error.

i'm getting this error when I tap "drive to" wherever.
    the gps is on so I don't know why it can't see my start as a valid location and calculate a route..

same error happens under "plan route" if i leave my starting point as "current position" (again the gps is working fine).

anyone know why this might be?
    I'm getting this problem as well. It seems to work better when I select fast navigation rather than full navigation. I'll try to iron out the wrinkles in it over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Got to aldi in childers road in limerick about 20 to 9, was already about 30 people there, line got longer fast I was lucky about quarter to nine like the guy in tallagt a guy came out with sheets saying sat nav on them we took one and it seemed like everyone who wanted one got one so no shortages
    worked out very well

this product is real top range
    100% coverage from what I see
    though I noticed the fermoy bypass isnt on it
    anyone tried updating it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

If you missed out today you could try the route 66 chicago 8000.
    I got one the other day from www.komplett.ie for 269 euro with european
    coverage.
    A very good deal considering it's only another 69 euro.

I'm getting this problem as well. It seems to work better when I select fast navigation rather than full navigation. I'll try to iron out the wrinkles in it over the weekend.

yeah.
    it may have something to do with not being exactly on the road network and the software not recognising your position if your not (?).
    (that's the closest reason I could find in the troubleshooting guide in the pdf anyway).

i'm not sure about this though- seems to be just hit and miss with mine regardless of how well I am on the road network.

you might let me know if you fix it, would you?

btw i've noticed then on using the easy navigation it fails to re-route you if you go wrong. have you found this as well?

macshadow wrote:
    If you missed out today you could try the route 66 chicago 8000.
    I got one the other day from www.komplett.ie for 269 euro with european
    coverage.
    A very good deal considering it's only another 69 euro.

ye i might look into that, but i reckon i'll hold out a couple of weeks and see if lidl intoduce one! or go with a PDA, dont know at the moment

btw anyone know if it's possible to take the aa navigator software and maps from the cd and just put them on a pda running windows mobile 5 or windows mobile 2003?
    (what files are on the cd exactly anyway?)

files on the cd just seem to be a backup of whats on the gps/memory card

I've found the same problems with it no re routing in easy navigate mode and also when using full navigation it not finding the starting position. I might give the help line a call tomorrow. Please post here if you find a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Good point. Thats what i was hoping, i recckon it will be a different system though, but fingers crossed we see some action form lidl over the next couple of weeks.

Might head out to finglas and have a look at the Aris, although my max budget was 200euro (im a poor at the mo).

Im looking into a number of different options at the moment, including some Medions and PDA's with GPS.

I will get a good cheap sat nav yet!!

Gary there is one in Xtra-Vision for €200 link it dont think the coverarge is a good but its in your price range. I myself am just back from outside the pale looking for one of the aldi systems with no luck went to clane and maynooth.:(

The aa have a good one on thier site for £149 sterling I am going to go with that heres a link if your interested. Good luck and if you get the xtra vision one let me know what its like.

Thanks for the links JJ, i think i may go with the AA system myself, its 235euro delivered, but if your a member of the AA theres 10% discount, so relaistically including delivery its only 210euro,which is good with me.

Now im not a member of the AA but surlely somebody here is that could P me there membership number? If not, i'll give a couple of uncles a ring!

Or i may go with the navman F20 (i'll be using it primarily in the UK), anyone know what the Irish coverage is like though? I hear its fairly brutal, but tbh i dont need it to be to great.

EDIT: did some research and the Navma is really bad in Ireland apparently. I think ill go for the AA model.

Cant find the AA Vive! for cheaper than the AA website, not even on ebay. I'll keep an eye out though for deals and offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 summer

Hi Guys i got the gps in Athlone ( only 10 on offer ) yesterday, happy with the unit, but i don't seem to know how to set it up with the audio. I have tried the menu and ticked both male & female but still no audio sound, maybe i am doing something wrong. i hope that some of you guy's with gps knowledge might help me out, thanks.

• Advertisement

Yeah, when you get that message or the no GPS message, use the reset function and it seems to sort it out.
    Also noticed no re-routing in fast nav but just used full nav instead as they are almost the same.

For Gary http://www.pcworld.ie/productDetails.aspx?productRID=1675&image=GPS_Navigation

I think that I have definately got a dodgy one. The problems are as follows:

1. Does not re-route when not followed its directions.

2. When I stop after not being re-routed and try to restart the navigation it says "Start not valid location."

3. When planning a route it is doing funny things. If I say try to plan a route from Navan to where I live in Sallins it says "Cannot Calculate Route." But if I do it the other way around from Sallins to Navan it does it fine.

I think I'll give the support line a call today, but if that doesn't help it could be on its way back to Aldi.

Anyone else have these problems?

got an email back from their support about the error.
    they say it's because i'm not on the road network (as I suspected).

that's a bit of a drawback - e.g you couldn't get it started this way if you were truly lost in the middle of nowhere, you need to find a recognised road first by yourself (which kind of defeats the purpose of having the device in the first place I suppose)..

sorry to keep asking but haven't got a answer yet
    has anyone been able to update the maps on it yet
    it hasnt got the fermoy bypass and the ennis bypass and a few others

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Another alternative device (but at the cost of another €100) is the Garmin c510d, which Halfords are selling for €299. In this case, what your money gets you is maps of all of Europe (on DVD, only GB/IRL is preloaded, but it's easy to download the other stuff onto a card). It also comes with a TMC receiver. No bloody use in Ireland yet, but in GB and most of Europe it will pick up and act on information about traffic jams and other hindrances.

mine wont go into 3D anymore for some reason driving me up the wall
    ive reset it and the works
    anyone had this problem

As I predicted last week, Lidl are selling a sat-nav on Mon 26...

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070326.index

mackerski wrote:
    Another alternative device (but at the cost of another €100) is the Garmin c510d, which Halfords are selling for €299. In this case, what your money gets you is maps of all of Europe (on DVD, only GB/IRL is preloaded, but it's easy to download the other stuff onto a card). It also comes with a TMC receiver. No bloody use in Ireland yet, but in GB and most of Europe it will pick up and act on information about traffic jams and other hindrances.

mackerski, any idea when tmc will be available in ireland?
    not any time soon i'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

mkennedy wrote:
    mackerski, any idea when tmc will be available in ireland?
    not any time soon i'm guessing.

I'll go with your guess, but I have no insider knowledge. TMC support requires a few things:
    • that the road segments be TMC-coded on the maps (dunno if the Irish ones are yet)
    • That the people who collect traffic jam information feed the database in good time
    • That some radio station broadcast the resulting data

Consider how poor the accuracy of our existing spoken AA roadwatch reports is and the dreadful spelling of the web version. Consider too how (last I tried) no Irish radio station even uses the RDS traffic report flag to cause a traffic report to interrupt CDs (probably don't want to lose the punters).

I wouldn't hold your breath.

• Advertisement

Just for anyone who is still having problems with this unit. When I rang the help desk they said that the problems sounded like a software problem and so recommended removing the files on the SD card and then reinstalling them on to the card from the enclosed CD-rom. This seemed to work for most of the problems. I still occaisonally am getting the Start not valid location message, but if I do a facotry reset and make sure that I have 3d GPS fix it works then.

Advertisement