Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

golf fitness

• 09-03-2007 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭

whats the most important for golf - flexibilty exercises/cardio/weights? or a combination of all?

what are the best exercises to do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I would do a combination. The important parts are your back, Arms and Shoulders. They have to be fit and flexible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭TOm Kelly

Any good / speciality golf fitness trainers / centres in Dublin? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 scratch2scratch

Yep - I would agree that a combination of all is necessary. Ultimately what you really need for golf is decent core muscles and flexibility though. You need to be fit to get round 18 holes without getting tired and you need to be strong (in the right areas) to hit controlled powerful drives.

It's easy to get too "gym strong" though and reduce flexibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I just saw this thread, weight training for golf is something i have an interest in. Unfortunately there is very little info out there on this topic and most of what is out there is crap.

My opinion is that golfers can benefit from working on their hand strength and doing compound exercises with heavy weights. Heavy weight training done correctly will not cause people to get "too big" or have "reduced flexibility".

Thread about this topic here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054913082

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

i found about three years ago that going to the gym 2-3 times a week improves your fitness which helps your game no end, the difference in my game then and now is massive, side effects aside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Flexibility and wrist/forearm strength.

Tbh most amateur golfers would be better advised to spend their time practicing their short game than spending time in the gym. An hour spent pitching from various positions around the green, in bunkers etc. would reap more benefits for your scorecard than 4 hours in the gym.

Obviously I'm not knocking the health benefits to be gained from consistent, quality work in the gym.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

I found this site helpful when looking for exercises/work outs for golf fitness.
    http://www.golfdigest.com/health/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

I think fitness in golf has become a big thing in recent years. Just another example of how someone like Tiger Woods has changed the game. From what i've read most pros like him now have strict training regimes. Indeed, i think Tiger is in the gym and out running most days. Even during events.

I do a bit of running to keep fit but little else. As far as golf is concerned, i find hitting balls or working on my short game a better way to spend my free time than lifting weights etc, especially in the summer. If i didn't have a job and all life's other commitments then i'd happily do both, however, as Madds says, amatuers would be better spending time working on their game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

Last season I started using one of these bad boys (www.powerballs.com) and I felt I had more strength in my wrists and forearms.

Par72 wrote:
    Last season I started using one of these bad boys (www.powerballs.com) and I felt I had more strength in my wrists and forearms.

i just ordered one of those... how often do yo use it, and for how long?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

You should really only use it for a few minutes each day until you get used to it. It can be pretty strenuous using it if you're not used to it. At the moment I use it about 3/4 times a week for about 10/15 minutes a time.

Par72 wrote:
    You should really only use it for a few minutes each day until you get used to it. It can be pretty strenuous using it if you're not used to it. At the moment I use it about 3/4 times a week for about 10/15 minutes a time.

great mate, thanks alot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I have never heard of a "powerball" and from looking at that site I'd be a bit dubious about them. There are a lot of gimmicky fitness products out there that do very little. Still I may be wrong about the powerball.

For increasing hand and wrist strength I use these:
    http://www.londonkettlebells.com/captains-of-crush-and-ironmind-grip-equipment.html

These are not gimmicky and are a different kettle of fish to the crappy hand grippers that you'd see in somewhere like Elvery's

Advertisement