Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

life as a trainee

• 09-03-2007 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭

whats life like as a trainee accountant? is the combination of work/study hard? is it a good job?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

mate its really tough goin... it depends though on where you join... Are you thinking of big 4, small practise or industry? i can only speak for where i currently work and i found the adjustment from college really hard. Was very close to quittin round christmas having started in early october.

the work/studying balance can take its toll too. If your in Big 4 practise you can be sent anywhere around the country on an audit and then have lectures at the wkend. If your in Dublin this probably doesn't apply quite so much but lectures are during the week and not at the weekend.

Personally if i had my time over again i would have applied for a job in the revenue commissioners as an administrative officer (closing date march 20th) and gone down that route. The starting money is 32K in the revenue which is a LOT more than as a trainee accountant.

However there are people in my office who love the job and don't envisage leaving when their training contract is up. My opinion is just that, an opinion. If you have any questions you wanna ask send me a PM. May not be able to WB till mon though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

i start with a big 4 in september. am worried now!!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

holyrood85 wrote:
    i start with a big 4 in september. am worried now!!!:(
    WTF are u worried about? getting a big 4 on your CV is worth a great deal as the old boys network works wonders.

However if you are afraid of hard work and long hours and being treated as a go-for for the first year or so then...
    When i was an articled clerk I got to carry the stationary on my first job, now u'll prolly be carring the seniors laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bloodninja

I'm starting in September too. Not worried too much.

Have never done any accounting though, how will I fair with exams if I do my bit but maintain a life in the mean time.???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

The first year is unbelievably tough especially in a small firm , for my 1st year I was on rubbish money 14k a year , my firm paid for nothing firstly I had to pay the ACCA 700e for my exemptions then I had to pay 1300e for the 2 courses I did in Griffith also had to pay acca annual sub and exam fees , I found it very tough to study as the money really was`nt stretching as far as it needed to and working 9 to 5 and going waterford to Cork every weekend for a course absolutely sucked.
    Going into my 3rd year of it now anyway , the moneys still not great and Im home studying as I cant afford the courses and its very tough , yer bolixed tired coming in from work in the evenings and then ya`ve to face into study an then yer bolixed getting up from study and have to face another day at work.

Theres no denying tis tough going , but at the end of the day people will always need accountants so a few years tough going should be worth it when yer about 45 and finally pass all the exams ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    for my 1st year I was on rubbish money 14k a year

I wish I'd been on that type of money when I started ... back in 98 I was on IR£3,650 a year and it didn't get much better as I went along :eek:

Just remember that there are 2 definites in life: Death & Taxes ... so make sure you're either an undertaker or an accountant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Started on 13k originally......then packed it in and went to Industry for a few years and got my IATI. Then when I went to do my ACA I started on €16,750 in 2004, twas alright tbh.

LOL accounatnt or undertaker.................both are so Exciting!!:D

Please tell me 9 years down the line the moneys great and you can afford an Impreza! If not you`ll be crushing all my hopes and that would make me a sad panda!:(

OLDYELLAR wrote:

Please tell me 9 years down the line the moneys great and you can afford an Impreza! If not you`ll be crushing all my hopes and that would make me a sad panda!:(

Panda eh....I hear they're made by Fiat :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

OLDYELLAR wrote:

I'm married with a kid, so no to the Impreza ... if I wasn't married with a kid, the Impreza would be my "having a laff" car :D

• Advertisement

K so no marriage and no kids makes laura a happy gurly.:D

Yay impreza here I come! and then for the R1.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

I started in industry in 2003 on 15k got my IATI and was on 24 but then decided to do ACCA and go into practice in 2005, so back down to 15K:( , a year and a half later im back up to 22K.
    It really depends where you decide to go and work, i'm in small practise but if i had of went into a big 4 then i would prob only be on bout 18K now. Working during the day and college at night and some weekends can be very demoralising, but hopefully when its over, the big dollars will be rolling in:D

Im into my 3rd year at my firm Ive all my prof 1 and 2 completed , studying prof 3`s at the min and Im only on 19600e. Sucks!

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Im into my 3rd year at my firm Ive all my prof 1 and 2 completed , studying prof 3`s at the min and Im only on 19600e. Sucks!

We've discussed this before..........it's because you live in Turf Town.....if you move up to the city of gods :D you'll get more money......but more cost of living.

Kenny 5 wrote:
    We've discussed this before..........it's because you live in Turf Town.....if you move up to the city of gods :D you'll get more money......but more cost of living.

LOL....................Yep Im planning to move to the big smhoke in June.And Im not from Turf town we prefer to call it Bandit city.

Edit..............City of Gods!!! I strongly dislike you right now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭jarain

Ah the bad memories!! Was on £7,000 when i started as a trainee back in 2000. Didn't get a whole lot better about €20k once I had the finals passed but once my articles finished I was outta there!!

Only 20 months and 3 weeks to go..............oooh yeesssss!!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

m starting on 24k with a big 4 in september. no exemptions and didnt do accounting at college. The small firms really treat you like sh*t !!!!!!!:eek:
    Especially in bog land.

holyrood85 wrote:
    m starting on 24k with a big 4 in september. no exemptions and didnt do accounting at college. The small firms really treat you like sh*t !!!!!!!:eek:
    Especially in bog land.

Lol, here's a tip..........just because one gets paid more, don't mean they don't get treated like sh!t!!!! ;)

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Lol, here's a tip..........just because one gets paid more, don't mean they don't get treated like sh!t!!!! ;)

Yea so there!! Mr bog land. Culchies FTW :D

• Advertisement

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Yea so there!! Mr bog land. Culchies FTW :D

:rolleyes: Pfft......quiet wimmin, back to the sh!t shovelling with ya!!!

m starting on 24k with a big 4 in september. no exemptions and didnt do accounting at college. The small firms really treat you like sh*t !!!!!!!
    Especially in bog land.

(i) small firms may not pay so well but u do a lot less box ticking a totting figures

(ii) living in bog lands has so many benefits over the big smoke

1. My commute is only 20 minutes a day even though i live 6 miles from the office. Taking the luas in dublin when i was on induction nearly drove me demented.

2. I work 9 - 5.30 when i'm in the office and not much longer when away. Enjoy your 9a.m - 9 p.m. days in dublin

lassykk wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Ah stop your big time putting me off the move to Dub as Im currently a 10/15 min walk from work and I work 9 to 5 .....................Come on lads say how great Dublin is would ye.........................Im getting bogger withdrawal before Ive even gone :(

sorry... can't help it if i love de bogs

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Ah stop your big time putting me off the move to Dub as Im currently a 10/15 min walk from work and I work 9 to 5 .....................Come on lads say how great Dublin is would ye.........................Im getting bogger withdrawal before Ive even gone :(

Don't mind your man :rolleyes: I work 9-5:15. My commute is 20-25 minutes.........I'm on a momo bike though ;)

Wicked witch, just bring your lady bike up with you.

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Don't mind your man :rolleyes: I work 9-5:15. My commute is 20-25 minutes.........I'm on a momo bike though ;)

Wicked witch, just bring your lady bike up with you.

LOL Is`nt my lady bike bigger than your glorified scooter ???:D

Hush now witch, you're clearly dillusional!!! :p

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Hush now witch, you're clearly dillusional!!! :p

You`ve just been served :p Ohhhh Its on.............

Kluivert /Carb, will you please warn the wimmin to be quiet.....she's making an awful racket.........listen wimmin, just move up to the city of gods and you'll soon forget all about bogville ;)

No more.....end of discussion......1-0 to me ;)

• Advertisement

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Kluivert /Carb, will you please warn the wimmin to be quiet.....she's making an awful racket.........listen wimmin, just move up to the city of gods and you'll soon forget all about bogville ;)

No more.....end of discussion......1-0 to me ;)

You make me a sad panda :(

Advertisement