Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for the Experts - Bike Setup (Crank/Gears)!!!

Options
  • 09-03-2007 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Okay, so I've decided to go for a Planet X Super Value Build at £999 - http://www.planet-x-bikes.com/road/page234.html

I've emailed Brant (a Planet X employee) and he has advised that, being 5'10-11", I should go for a medium frame (the geometry details are on the website but I don't have a clue so I'll trust him on that one).

You can then fine tune the bikes' various bits and pieces:

Cranks can be 170mm, 172.5mm or 175mm in compact or non compact!
    Stems can be from 80 to 130mm
    Bars can be from 40 to 46cm
    Cassettes can be 11-21 to 12-27.
    Rear brake lever can be either right or left.

I'm a complete newbie in this area and the only bike I've ever ridden is a Giant OCR3 which I just test rid at the LBS and bought (dunno the frame size). As I would consider my arm, leg length to be pretty standard for my height, I've considered just asking him to put the most popular Crank, Stem, Bar size on the bike. Is this a stupid idea?

Rear brake lever I want in the left and I don't have a clue about the cassette but I'd know that it's important to choose the right setup for my chosen style of cycling. I plan to do the likes of the Wicklow 200, Tipperary 200, Ring of Kerry.

When cycling on hills, is it true that it's the crank/cassette combination that matters and if so what should I go for???

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If you've never been fit before, things like crank or stem length are going to be a shot in the dark. You could try an online tool like this to get some idea.

As for the gearing, if you're planning on doing stuff like the Wicklow 200 and haven't done that kind of climbing before I'd say get the compact cranks and 12-25 cassette.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

I think its great that you can get choices like this. with most complete bike purchases, you select a size and you just have to live with whatever you get regarding crank length, stem size etc etc. This is practically customising the bike for you, short of building a custom frame.

To give an example of my choice if i were in your shoes:

I am 5ft 11 but have a short torso and shortish arms but long legs so i my preference would be for short stem and either 172.5 or 175 cranks. i prefer wider bars, so would go for 46cm but 44 is quite wide too. Compact cranks would be my choice too, (much lighter than triple and looks better) so a 12-27 cassette would probably be advised here to get close as poss to the low gear that would be possible on the granny ring of a triple, particularly since I'm not that fit and prefer spinning up hills than grunt my way up them.

Brant of Px isn't an employee, he's the owner or part owner, so he knows his stuff. Nice chap, always quick to reply. Have bought two on-one bikes off him and will buy more, I'd imagine

Advertisement