Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to office BB wireless network

Options
  • 09-03-2007 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭

We just got the office upgraded to 5MB broadband with a wireless router. I took my laptop into the office to try use it but I cant connect. I have the security key (WEP) and Router code but it still wont connect. Is there anything that im doing wrong??? It came up with something like IP address not registering . I got the signal strength as the wizard searched for available connections but when i clicked on internet explorer it didnt connect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

What router is it?
    Might be set to allow mac address's only.
    In that case you will need to get the mac address of your laptop and add it to the allow list of the router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Talk to your offices IT guy, tbh. We can't really tell you anything as we don't know the details, and its unlikely (hopefully!) that you'll be able to tell us anything about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

GaRtH_V wrote:
    What router is it?
    Might be set to allow mac address's only.
    In that case you will need to get the mac address of your laptop and add it to the allow list of the router.

Its a Eircom Netopia the one you get free with a CD. I have run the CD and got the codes from it also to configure my laptop connection. I will have to try it again tomorrow and post in detail the error message i get . TBH our technical people are not that great !!! I often know more than they do . Im normally ok with stuff like this but this has baffled me .

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Ok so i got a signal with a strength of 4 bars/ speed 11.0 Mbps. On the bottom of my laptop where the connection icon is there is a yellow triangle that says ''the connection has limited or no connectivity''. When i click the icon it gave me an option to repair and says '' windows is taking the following action.'' ... ''Renewing your IP address. '' then after a few minutes it says '' Renewing your IP address cannot be completed'' so im not sure what to do . Also do i need to do something to turn off my dial up connection???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Dellas wrote:
    Ok so i got a signal with a strength of 4 bars/ speed 11.0 Mbps. On the bottom of my laptop where the connection icon is there is a yellow triangle that says ''the connection has limited or no connectivity''. When i click the icon it gave me an option to repair and says '' windows is taking the following action.'' ... ''Renewing your IP address. '' then after a few minutes it says '' Renewing your IP address cannot be completed'' so im not sure what to do . Also do i need to do something to turn off my dial up connection???

This means that all the ip addresses available on your network are in use or only certain mac addresses can connect to the network. As suggested above, talk to your office IT guy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement