Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 add ons- unlimited broadband, 19.99?

• 09-03-2007 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

lads,

whats this unlimited broadband and how does it differer from the 3gig capped service they offer? talk about confusing.....:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Its through a mobile and they probably prohibit the use of your phone as a modem........

It basically replaces the old week long acess for €10 that three used to offer for mobile websites. Buy three of those and it worked out at €30 a month and you had a download limit of 90mb. At the moment its down with a technical glitch :mad: but in anycase its cheaper than paying to access. All i ever used it for was RTE, BBC, The Guardian etc so it was grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Akula

I just called them and they said this DOES cover you using your phone as a modem and has full open internet access.

I asked him whether there was a fair use policy.... he said yes. I said how much was the cutoff point and he said that figure was not specified but that it would be applied "fairly".

I thought that comreg only ruled recently that operators had to provide details on their fair use policies.

Akula wrote:
    I just called them and they said this DOES cover you using your phone as a modem and has full open internet access.

I asked him whether there was a fair use policy.... he said yes. I said how much was the cutoff point and he said that figure was not specified but that it would be applied "fairly".

I thought that comreg only ruled recently that operators had to provide details on their fair use policies.

Thanks for that akula - the system is at the moment down though :mad: !

I had based my assumptions on the UK that it would be prohibited but in practise people would do it anyway! Hmmm might have to think about bumping up my broadband package.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

They actualy provide a very simple page with their Fair Use Policies and according to that you have Mobile Broadband Unlimited - 2Gb.

But it's still a question if that allows me to use my mobile as modem, if it does, than this is way cheaper than the Datacard!

They actualy provide a very simple page with their Fair Use Policies and according to that you have Mobile Broadband Unlimited - 2Gb.

But it's still a question if that allows me to use my mobile as modem, if it does, than this is way cheaper than the Datacard!

Could it be some kind of concession based on you already buying minutes from them? Using phone as a modem for this post!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

3 DONT KNO WHAT THEIR DOIN IMO,
    x series....unlimited internet

add ons - unlimited internet

data card- unlimited internet.

eh.......:confused:

legs11 wrote:
    3 DONT KNO WHAT THEIR DOIN IMO,
    x series....unlimited internet

add ons - unlimited internet

data card- unlimited internet.

eh.......:confused:

Eh..... I don't care. Would you rather pay the ridiculous GPRS charges of a cent a kilobyte from the other networks!

I think the unlimited internet add on is aimed at people who won't have an xseries supported handset it - advanced enough but it won't be able to have all the apps. Hence a great big data lump.

data card is self explanatory - its a standalone product that doesnt require cables or batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

legs11 wrote:
    lads,

whats this unlimited broadband and how does it differer from the 3gig capped service they offer? talk about confusing.....:rolleyes:

Tell me more -where did you see this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

hi.
    do you have to actually buy a 3 handset to avail of the "unlimited" data add-on.

can you just buy say a 3 sim card with e.g 200mins voice and "unlimited" data add-on and put this in an unlocked handset.

presumably such a handset would have to be a 3g handset to work at all on the 3 network even for voice calls is that right

also, outside of 3g areas would such an unlocked handset with the 3 sim automatically revert to a backup gprs network (or is there such a thing with 3)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

mkennedy wrote:
    hi.
    do you have to actually buy a 3 handset to avail of the "unlimited" data add-on.
    yes unfortunately. they don't do sim only. but the 6233 is 49 on the lowest tariff so its not that bad
    mkennedy wrote:
    presumably such a handset would have to be a 3g handset to work at all on the 3 network even for voice calls is that right
    yes
    mkennedy wrote:
    also, outside of 3g areas would such an unlocked handset with the 3 sim automatically revert to a backup gprs network (or is there such a thing with 3)?
    they use vodafone's 2g network as a backup. all the phones are set to dual mode by default

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

mkennedy wrote:
    hi.

can you just buy say a 3 sim card with e.g 200mins voice and "unlimited" data add-on and put this in an unlocked handset.

1)yes you will,cant just buy a sim
    2)Guess it would work,AFAIK it will have to be 3g handset.
    3)it roams on vodafone's gprs network

edit:beat me to it vimes!

damo86 wrote:
    edit:beat me to it vimes!
    evil laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

thanks lads for the prompt replies :)

that's a pity.
    apparently though according to culabula in another thread you can use the 3 datacard sim in an unlocked non-three phone (3g-enabled).

this has a 3gb cap and can also be used for skype calls.
    ie potentially a lot of voice and data for a flat rate (39.99 iirc).

not sure if skype would work in non-3g areas though. anyone know if it does?

mkennedy wrote:
    not sure if skype would work in non-3g areas though. anyone know if it does?
    i doubt it since it need a good bit of bandwidth to operate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

3 have left the other operators out in the cold with their new data plans - catch up lads! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Ya old bill was cheap 25 for 200 mins and 18 for 200 texts which was roughly enough my monthly usage, now it will be 29 plus 10 39 euro. They were cheap and now their cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

i doubt it since it need a good bit of bandwidth to operate

Skype on the X-Series actually places a GSM call to a 3 number which then routes it over the Skype network.

A good review of it is here: http://www.smstextnews.com/2006/12/skype_on_threes_x-series_-_the_test_.html

Obviously the real Skype client on Windows Mobile or Fring on Symbian will use data

skearon wrote:
    Skype on the X-Series actually places a GSM call to a 3 number which then routes it over the Skype network.

A good review of it is here: http://www.smstextnews.com/2006/12/skype_on_threes_x-series_-_the_test_.html

Obviously the real Skype client on Windows Mobile or Fring on Symbian will use data

Yes and since january the number called is now part of 3 like home' and no longer incurs any roaming charges as hitherto.

Presumably the Irish X-series will work in similar fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Well, Skype are working on a Symbian port, which would use the data network for its calls.. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/28/symbian_skype_delayed/

Well, Skype are working on a Symbian port, which would use the data network for its calls.. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/28/symbian_skype_delayed/

Excellent!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

I have my Motorola razr v3x set up as a USB modem on my laptop. What settings do i need to get the unlimited broadband service to work? Would be handy to have as a back up in case my NTL goes down.

mickger wrote:
    I have my Motorola razr v3x set up as a USB modem on my laptop. What settings do i need to get the unlimited broadband service to work? Would be handy to have as a back up in case my NTL goes down.

You have to subscribe to the add-on first. Are you using it with Mac or Windows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

ciaranfo wrote:
    3 have left the other operators out in the cold with their new data plans - catch up lads! :(
    just popped a email to o2 with links to the 3 data addons on the website,asking do they have anything to compete with this,waiting to hear from them now..interesting to see what they have to say for themselves!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

damo86 wrote:
    just popped a email to o2 with links to the 3 data addons on the website,asking do they have anything to compete with this,waiting to hear from them now..interesting to see what they have to say for themselves!!
    Let us know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Question.

Does Broadband MB bundles use a different access point? If not, won't any page loads (eg 3 Portal) be considered data downloaded and thus be taken from your MB allowance?
    I'm curious to know how they can monitor MB allowance separate from 3 Portal free browsing etc. (I'm referring here to the very finite 100 and 250MB bundles).

Another access point seems a logical choice?
    Anyone know how this is achieved? Or is this the case at all?

Also in "My 3" can you check your remaining MB allowance on said bundles?

Apologies, not in the mood for dealing with 3 reps this evening!
    Has anyone broached this with them or know the ins 'n' outs using it today...
    Cheers.

quintron wrote:
    Question.

Does Broadband MB bundles use a different access point? If not, won't any page loads (eg 3 Portal) be considered data downloaded and thus be taken from your MB allowance?
    I'm curious to know how they can monitor MB allowance separate from 3 Portal free browsing etc. (I'm referring here to the very finite 100 and 250MB bundles).

Another access point seems a logical choice?
    Anyone know how this is achieved? Or is this the case at all?

Also in "My 3" can you check your remaining MB allowance on said bundles?

Apologies, not in the mood for dealing with 3 reps this evening!
    Has anyone broached this with them or know the ins 'n' outs using it today...
    Cheers.

As far as we can gather the APNs are one and the same: 3ireland.ie

Page loads account for very little data transfer: that's why they offer X-series as 'unlimited' whereas it is in reality just 1GB per month but for mobile browsing only (in the UK).

As I have reported earlier on another thread I was told that X-series in Ireland (if it ever materialises) will allow use of phone as a modem. As we can see from last night's changes, attitudes to data and pricing are much more inventive and generous than those of the UK arm of 3.

My 3 will allow you to check your remaining MB balance (it seems to be updating in real-time); you can achieve the same by dialling 333 and listening to a variety of accents (plus a Scottish woman shouting at you) before eventually hearing your current balance. My 3 will also tell you your current spend (updated in real-time).

Should be a different apn. You'd easily reach 800kb on portal browsing alone. What if you want to download or play a video clip? Soccer highlights, RTE News etc.. All of these are currently free but the data usage can be quite high there especially if going for the 100MB bundle!
    If its the same apn then logically this is seen as data and would be taken from your balance in real time.. no? tell me I've missed something simple here.. If its url based then they would have those proxies flagged or boxed off which I suppose would not eat into your data allowance..

There is no change in the data allowance when I use my dataSIM to browse the portal, watch RTE News etc. It just remains the same.

Cheers culabula.
    Thats that settled then :)
    Looking for catches being the cynic that I am.

• Advertisement

We've looked at my APN (datacard) and one supplied in a handset (PAYG): they are the same.

I frequently use my dataSIM in a handset and browse the portal for the little it offers. I have lost no kb whatsoever :-)

Even using it for VoiP has resulted in very little data being used up (I use voice on MSN and Skype via fring). In Feb I managed to use a whopping 500mb out of 3GB in the whole month!

Wish it rolled over......

PS: Last night I watched Corrie in a pub on Sth William St using the 3 datacard via LocationFree! Not only was the the quality superb (shame about the writing), but it barely used up 100mb.

Advertisement