Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 add ons- unlimited broadband, 19.99?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

culabula wrote:
    You have to subscribe to the add-on first. Are you using it with Mac or Windows?

I subscribed to the 5.99 bundle just to try to get it working and i'm using Windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

mickger wrote:
    I subscribed to the 5.99 bundle just to try to get it working and i'm using Windows.

OK. You should be able to configure it using Motorola Tools as supplied on the CD. I seem to recall that there's a wizard. The APN needs to be 3ireland.ie (which should also be the 'telephone number' for Motorola scripts). I can gt it working easily enough with my Mac via Bluetooth but not via USB.

culabula wrote:
    OK. You should be able to configure it using Motorola Tools as supplied on the CD. I seem to recall that there's a wizard. The APN needs to be 3ireland.ie (which should also be the 'telephone number' for Motorola scripts). I can gt it working easily enough with my Mac via Bluetooth but not via USB.

I got connected but they have this thing where in order to get on boards.ie and many other sites you have to verify your age to Three by bringing a drivers licence or passport to a three store :confused: Speed was ok but would only use this if i was desperate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 smithdogg AU

damn.. i was just reading up on 3

why can't i just get a SIM? i already have a nokia E65 which i wouldn't mind using with 3 (on vodafone prepaid at the moment) but i guess that isn't an option if they don't give me the sim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

damo86 wrote:
    just popped a email to o2 with links to the 3 data addons on the website,asking do they have anything to compete with this,waiting to hear from them now..interesting to see what they have to say for themselves!!

who thinks that this development signals the end of rip-off voice/data charges on the other networks..

lets hope vf and o2 respond soon and maybe let voip use on their networks as well.

• Advertisement

mkennedy wrote:
    who thinks that this development signals the end of rip-off voice/data charges on the other networks..

lets hope vf and o2 respond soon and maybe let voip use on their networks as well.

I have used VoiP with the Vodafone USB modem. Also iChat (video and audio).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Early days I know...but, got the 100MB bb to test.... and I can't access websites or my email on my N73.. Called thrindia.. they are having technical difficulties..said it should resume within 24 hours. Anyone else in the same boat i.e is it a blackout accross the board or just patchy drizzle...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

For future reference, any half-decent mobile billing system can make on-portal traffic FOC. They use URL patterns to determine the rate.

To answer a question further up in the thread, the difference between this add-on and a datacard is that most phones will not go above standard 3G speeds, ie 384kbps. 3's datacard does 3.6Mbps on a good day. I'm sure there are some phones that can do HSDPA and there will be more in the future, but it's something to keep in mind for now.

A very nice thing with these add-ons is that you can turn them on or off on a monthly basis, so if have a temporary need to use it you can pay for it for a month and then cancel it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

What happened to X-Series -the link has dissappeared off the home page. Also won't having an unlimited broadband package essentially give the same as X-Series?

What happened to X-Series -the link has dissappeared off the home page. Also won't having an unlimited broadband package essentially give the same as X-Series?

Agree it's very confusing but X-series across the 3 group is supposed to be for mobile phone browsing only (up to 1 gig) with unlimited, Skype, Slingbox and Orb thrown in on X-Series Gold -NOT part of the 1GB allowance and unlimited based on the supposition (for example) that only a looney would watch more than 80 hours of TV on an N73 or make more than 5,000 minutes of Skype calls in a given month.

"Unlimited" mobile broadband on the other hand seems unique to Ireland, reasonably generous and *without* the X-series caveat that you may not use your phone as a modem.

• Advertisement

xseries features skype, orb & slingbox integration among other things, in applications specifically written for certain handsets, namely N73, W950i and the E65 at present. The current data bundles are available for all 3 handsets.

The skype client does not use data in xseries. You can of course use fring etc on the unlimited bb package, but basically they are not the same.
    You could cobble together other apps to do similar things as xseries I'm sure...

Going on uk pricing, xseries should also be cheaper if its a direct monetary translation, though with the introduction of these data bundles it kinda changes things methinks.. such as further delays in launch while they see how the data bundles are pubically received... and possibly a different pricing structure once xseries is eventually introduced...
    anyones guess really.

culabula wrote:
    "Unlimited" mobile broadband on the other hand seems unique to Ireland, reasonably generous and *without* the X-series caveat that you may not use your phone as a modem.

Aren't people in UK using their xseries handsets as fallback modems anyway? 3 says you can't do it but theres nothing actually stopping people using it as a modem..
    Bring on more HSDPA handsets I say.. pref a symbian one...!

quintron wrote:
    Aren't people in UK using their xseries handsets as fallback modems anyway? 3 says you can't do it but theres nothing actually stopping people using it as a modem..
    Bring on more HSDPA handsets I say.. pref a symbian one...!

Some are and some are getting huge bills. 3 can tell the difference.

I would hope not under moderate usage? Those people getting huge bills are probably d/ling torrents overnight or something.. ;)
    Big brother how are ya..

:::update:::
    see what you mean...
    pot luck

http://www.talk3g.org/showthread.php?t=3903

quintron wrote:
    I would hope not under moderate usage? Those people getting huge bills are probably d/ling torrents overnight or something.. ;)
    Big brother how are ya..

Hope not too: I know that some people are reporting getting bills and have admitted using their phone as a modem (which 3 repeat in the blog you are not allowed to do).

So, hopefully, they've stopped.

But 3 UK may soon change their policy on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Bah, Blaster99, you beat me too it, I was just going to say, that 3's portal uses "mobile.3ireland.ie" so when they are billing, all they have to do is search for "mobile.3ireland.ie, and minus out any data transfers to that address, and only bill for the sites outside their portal that they billed you for before on that Mobile Websites thing.

You can buy the add-ons from your handset, pretty cool, but I wonder how it works for 3Pay customers, on 3's website, the add ons are not an option for them. I think it is about time that some network launched sensible and good data plans, I will try it out soon enough and I will probably stick with it, 30Eur isnt bad for 200 minutes and 100Mb of internet usage (on the phone) per month, since I have bb at home and in college.

30Eur isnt bad for 200 minutes and 100Mb of internet usage (on the phone) per month, since I have bb at home and in college.

New plans are 29 for 200 mins and 6 for 100mb...but if you are already on 25pm then you will continue to be billed at that till contract expires...
    culabula wrote:

So, hopefully, they've stopped.
    But 3 UK may soon change their policy on this.

They say they are reviewing policy alright but tbh it will be a while before they allow it I'd say.. too many options for consumers, less datacards sold and less "down the pipe" = less profit..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I am on 25pm, and according to the sales rep, that will continue as long as I remain on that plan, if I move off it, I cant move back, only fair. But, I can still apply an add-on to my existing plan, without changing it, so I could get the 100 texts, or the 100Meg BB package for an extra 6 yoyos, and the nice part with add-ons, is you can drop them after the month is up if it doesnt work for you. I may try that with the BB package, and stick with my current plan, until X-Series is launched, then I can see what plans will work better. If SkypeOut works properly with 3, it could be a good way to save on calls, particularlly international ones.

The age verification thing in order to get into sites is ridiculous. I have to go into a three store with my Passport in order to get boards.ie and gmail and the majority of other sites. Its pure stupidity :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Well, Skype are working on a Symbian port, which would use the data network for its calls.. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/28/symbian_skype_delayed/

Unfortunately they have been working on it for so long it's now regarded as VapourWare :-)

However Fring is available now, I run it on my Nokia E61 and it is handles Skype, Google Talk and MSN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

mickger wrote:
    The age verification thing in order to get into sites is ridiculous. I have to go into a three store with my Passport in order to get boards.ie and gmail and the majority of other sites. Its pure stupidity :mad:
    Huh? On the new addons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Just ordered one of these for a colleague. Very surprising for me, since I haven't exactly been a 3 fanboy. Quite the opposite in fact, but with these plans I have to admit they "got it right". It's ridiculous that no other carrier at the moment lets you easily combine voice and data. Well, I do know you can get small data plans from O2, but they've always been limited to just a few megabytes.

I actually used to have one of those myself, and often ended up spending hundreds of euros a month on O2 for voice + data for just one person.

So still can't get pop mail to work using built in symbian client.. it seems only the 3 services browser works at returning pages..
    N73 symbian web app returns errors (asp error looks like..) Resco News works fine, Fring doesn't, Gmail app works fine, Profimail doesn't. Anyone else not able to get pop mail working (symbian)?

quintron wrote:
    So still can't get pop mail to work using built in symbian client.. it seems only the 3 services browser works at returning pages..
    N73 symbian web app returns errors (asp error looks like..) Resco News works fine, Fring doesn't, Gmail app works fine, Profimail doesn't. Anyone else not able to get pop mail working (symbian)?

My pop mail is working perfectly on my 3 dataSIM sitting in my 6630: it checks for new mail every 5 mins and retrieves.

Data sim is obviously different to new add-on package then...

quintron wrote:
    Data sim is obviously different to new add-on package then...

'Twould appear so unless they just have a few teething problems. Careful, though -remember my dataSIM wouldn't work on 3 Italy, something I still have to get sorted with them. Someone here said that you can use your Mobile Broaband add-on on phone as a modem but I have seen nothing to support this, so perhaps they only want you to use it on the handset?

What surprises me is that we're letting them off so lightly with this "unlimited" claim, since it's anything but. When you go to 'more info' on the add-ons the page just hangs. Also I am peeved in that I do not appear to be able to add the voice bundle to my Mobile Broadband 3000 package. Why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ok ive been out of the loop for a few days which is a first for me with 3, just went onto planet 3 and noticed all this add on stuff very nice but i've a v3x would this unlimited broadband do me any good? ya it would be handy to check the gmail once in a while on the phone but is it worth €19 a month hardly
    what else is there too it?
    Im hearing skype but that will hardly work on a v3x
    I do like the idea of using it as a modem though

culabula wrote:
    'Twould appear so unless they just have a few teething problems. Careful, though -remember my dataSIM wouldn't work on 3 Italy, something I still have to get sorted with them. Someone here said that you can use your Mobile Broaband add-on on phone as a modem but I have seen nothing to support this, so perhaps they only want you to use it on the handset?

Teething problems yes, thrinda said it would be resolved today.. I just wanted to see if others on similar add on were having the same difficulties. Obviously not much take up on the bundles here on boards just yet.
    Just to clarify, I'm not using my N73 as a modem or pass thru, just using the handset itself and the built in mail app with the Mobile Broadband 100MB bundle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

What is this 'age verification' on three to come in to some sites all about?

• Advertisement

quintron wrote:

Update on this: I can retrieve my mail from Vodafone.ie really fast with the mailbox type set to IMAP. But I seem to have to use the 3 IRL SMTP -neither .Mac nor gMail will work. I created a gMail pop mailbox and can't get that to either send or receive :-(

Advertisement