Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 add ons- unlimited broadband, 19.99?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭slartibardfast

flodis79 wrote:
    So the bottom line is:

-AFT
    -Agile, Mig33, IM+
    -Opera Mini

won't work on 3Pay?

Hi flodis79, its not as simple as saying none of them will work, Opera Mini (even the basic midp 1.0 version (No HTTPS/SSL so that isn't an issue, but it doesn't appear to HTTP 302 follow redirects to the opera proxy server (server.operamini.com) so it won't work).

Can't comment on other Java apps as I haven't tried them yet, but any of them that only use http and can follow redirects will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

This is very interesting to me,

I currently use a one-way satellite system from SkyDSL and have to use Dial-up as the uplink however SkyDSL will work with a mobile solution like 3's data service.

Basically my plan is if I could ditch the dialup and buy a new Three Mobile phone like this one on ThreePay (Pay-as-you-go) and port over my 087 number from Meteor and use the new Three service for my calls and my internet uplink. I do not live in a 3G area but could get GPRS as I live close to Masts by Vodafone/Meteor/o2 but none of them are 3G enabled.

I wonder would my Three Phone let me use a Mobile Broadband add-on on GPRS, I'd reckon that the Mobile-Broadband 100 for €5.99 would suffice my needs as I couldn't do any heavy uploading due to the low speeds of GPRS 30 to 40Kbps but it would be fine for the uplink for Skydsl and sending text emails etc.

Could this work or would I have to be on a Bill pay service from three in order to use the mobile-broadband add-ons? Is anyone here using the Mobile Broadband add-on in non 3G signal areas like I'd plan to do, I read somewhere that few people were using the Vodafone 3G card on GPRS as a replacement for Dial-up. If I could do what I said above it would be great as it would enable me to dump dial-up which ties up the landline and costs a fair bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

I've was able to purchase the mobile broadband through my v3x in a gprs area, sometimes i'm able to get into it (it says these sites are only availble so i click on games go down to services at the bottom then go into the internet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I just found out that 3 Italy offer the following for €19 monthly:

- 5 GB (5120 MB) monthly data transfer;
    - 3.6 Mbps HSDPA USB modem.

All for €19 monthly, one time activation fee of €39 applies.

Details:
    http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tre.it%2F3forbusiness%2FVideoFonini%2FAdsmcard%2Findex_12472_ITA_HTML.htm&langpair=it%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Seems like 3 Ireland are ripping us off by comparison: we pay twice as much for almost half the data, and no USB modem option!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

All for €19 monthly, one time activation fee of €39 applies.

Details:
    http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tre.it%2F3forbusiness%2FVideoFonini%2FAdsmcard%2Findex_12472_ITA_HTML.htm&langpair=it%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Seems like 3 Ireland are ripping us off by comparison: we pay twice as much for almost half the data, and no USB modem option!

But by the same token then 3UK are really ripping off the Brits; over 70euro for 1GB of data and it isn't even an HSDPA card (or network). Italy has always been very technologically advanced and there are millions more of them than ourselves -we aren't doing so bad compared to the UK and the French. Check SFR in France for data -it's outrageous. Not one of the French networks offer anything comparable to 3 Ireland.

• Advertisement

And the USB modem IS coming very soon -and with it, maybe some changes in the price plan. Remember 3IRL are going to have to show Vodafone and O2 a clean pair of heels.

Be fair too, that's a brand new offer and wasn't there only a few days ago. Note new Mac drivers halfway down the page.

culabula wrote:
    Be fair too, that's a brand new offer and wasn't there only a few days ago. Note new Mac drivers halfway down the page.

Are you implying that we'll be seeing this offer in Ireland soon as well, so it's unfair of me to compare it to the current Irish offering?

Edit: I think it may actually be 5 GB a week, e.g. 20 GB a month? I quote: "• 5GB of traffic given to the week"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

So you have to buy a 3g phone to get this service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

^ data card is for your laptop you get a data sim which you stick into it
    for mobile broadband you just have to have a 3 mobile and a 3 sim card and work away

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭joerules

I just arrived in Hong Kong and can confirm that mobile broadband is working on my bill phone. It's cool that I can check gmail and Planet3. Also my calls and texts are coming out of my bundle which is even better.

When I get a chance over the next few hours I'll see if my datacard SIM works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I was trying to log onto MSN and it wasn't working but sometimes it brought me to a mobile broadband settings page where I could change all sorts of things. One of the options was for it to not split up the web pages and I did this but now it has gone back to splitting them up. Another option was to do with encryption and the default setting was one that had "NOT RECOMMENDED" in caps, I was fairly surprised.
    They were all settings to do with the style and images.

Does anyone know what this page was and how to get to it? It was a lot more advanced than the options in the browser. I have a feeling it's easy to get to but I'm just missing something.

I love the way you can now go to the SE site and get the exact same games as Three offer but for a lot cheaper most of the time.

One more question, on 3pay is it possible to check your data usage? It only seems to give the credit in My 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

I was trying to log onto MSN and it wasn't working but sometimes it brought me to a mobile broadband settings page where I could change all sorts of things. One of the options was for it to not split up the web pages and I did this but now it has gone back to splitting them up. Another option was to do with encryption and the default setting was one that had "NOT RECOMMENDED" in caps, I was fairly surprised.
    They were all settings to do with the style and images.

Was this on 3pay?

Are you implying that we'll be seeing this offer in Ireland soon as well, so it's unfair of me to compare it to the current Irish offering?

Edit: I think it may actually be 5 GB a week, e.g. 20 GB a month? I quote: "• 5GB of traffic given to the week"

Haha, the translation also refers to be "annoying" by connecting at high-speeds.

No, it's 5GB 'al mese' -each month.

Nope, I'm just saying that it's a brand new offer from Tre Italia (the USB modem bit, not the 5 gigs) and has only appeared in the last few days and is unique in the Three group.

There will be a USB offering soon Three Ireland and it remains to be seen what they have up their sleeves to go with it.

joerules wrote:
    I just arrived in Hong Kong and can confirm that mobile broadband is working on my bill phone. It's cool that I can check gmail and Planet3. Also my calls and texts are coming out of my bundle which is even better.

When I get a chance over the next few hours I'll see if my datacard SIM works.

Yes, they just fixed all this last week after multiple complaints (including my own after my non-experiences in Italy).

They told me all has been resolved and that the datacard etc is working across all the 3 networks. So fill ya boots!

culabula wrote:
    Haha, the translation also refers to be "annoying" by connecting at high-speeds.

No, it's 5GB 'al mese' -each month.

LOL, good point! I sometimes wonder why computer based translation is still so bad.

I suppose 5GB a month for €19 still isn't a bad deal. I think half my family would get separate cards if 3 offered this here, and poor Vodafone would stop getting customers!

LOL, good point! I sometimes wonder why computer based translation is still so bad.

I suppose 5GB a month for €19 still isn't a bad deal. I think half my family would get separate cards if 3 offered this here, and poor Vodafone would stop getting customers!

Its a great deal. Get somebody to buy you/your family them in Italy and use them in Ireland as part of "three like home". That's what I intend to do.

culabula wrote:
    Its a great deal. Get somebody to buy you/your family them in Italy and use them in Ireland as part of "three like home". That's what I intend to do.

Three like home is only for voice services AFAIK? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Nope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

i'm a bit confused reading the thread ,can i get this addon on a 3pay pay as you go sim card or is it just pay monthly?

flodis79 wrote:
    Three like home is only for voice services AFAIK? :)

Tis not: see some of my other posts, notably 'Travels with a data SIM'. "Three Like Home" is for ALL their services. I use my dataSIM (3 Ireland) all the time in Belfast without penalty.

damo86 wrote:
    i'm a bit confused reading the thread ,can i get this addon on a 3pay pay as you go sim card or is it just pay monthly?

I'd love to know this too!Incidentally you can NOT have the Talk for Free add-on on the dataCard tariff.

culabula wrote:
    I'd love to know this too!Incidentally you can NOT have the Talk for Free add-on on the dataCard tariff.
    Yes, the mobile broadband options will work on 3pay but only http, not https (as yet). But I dont know about the talk for free 3 to 3 for €3.99, can it be activated on 3pay?

I am also looking for a chat client that doesn't use https, so we can use it on 3pay. Anyone knows any?

culabula wrote:

Perhaps 3 will offer this deal to Irish customers in the future as well. Might be worth waiting a few months and seeing what new data plans they come out with the USB modem when it's launched here.

Perhaps 3 will offer this deal to Irish customers in the future as well. Might be worth waiting a few months and seeing what new data plans they come out with the USB modem when it's launched here.

Well, I doubt if it will ever be as good, but I hope that they will offer something attractive to launch the forthcoming USB Modem. I can't see it being as good as Italy as for starters, there's nothing even remotely comparable on 3 UK.

culabula wrote:
    Well, I doubt if it will ever be as good, but I hope that they will offer something attractive to launch the forthcoming USB Modem. I can't see it being as good as Italy as for starters, there's nothing even remotely comparable on 3 UK.

Do 3 have some kind of policy of not offering their Irish customers anything they haven't already launched in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 schubi

Hey all,

just to confirm I'm getting this right:

In order to use three's mobile BB you need a three handset (that seems to have a modified firmware/software level) with the three services browser somewhere on the system?

I couldn't be using say an unlocked N70 by some other provider with the 3Sim-Card after doing away with the three-phone that came with it? I'm planning to buy their cheapest handset, give it away as a present and continue to use my beloved N70. Any chance or will this fail?

From what I've read here it may well be worth to wait for another provider to come up with mobile BB ... Three's mobile bb mightn't be a walled garden no more, but you still need to ride their three mowing tractor - even on the motorway ;-) - what a pain.

Do 3 have some kind of policy of not offering their Irish customers anything they haven't already launched in the UK?

In the case of data they seem to offer something better (3GB/40e as against 1GB for around 70e +).

Nor do the UK offer anything like our data addons.

All I'm saying is that clearly they tailor their global offering to each market with Italy being the first to get the USB modem. As we know it's coming to Ireland very soon, maybe we can hope for a decent deal with it. There is no talk of it coming to 3UK whatsoever whereas we know it's coming next month to 3 Ireland.

• Advertisement

schubi wrote:
    Hey all,

just to confirm I'm getting this right:

In order to use three's mobile BB you need a three handset (that seems to have a modified firmware/software level) with the three services browser somewhere on the system?

I couldn't be using say an unlocked N70 by some other provider with the 3Sim-Card after doing away with the three-phone that came with it? I'm planning to buy their cheapest handset, give it away as a present and continue to use my beloved N70. Any chance or will this fail?

From what I've read here it may well be worth to wait for another provider to come up with mobile BB ... Three's mobile bb mightn't be a walled garden no more, but you still need to ride their three mowing tractor - even on the motorway ;-) - what a pain.

Yes, it can, absolutely no problem.

Advertisement