Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 add ons- unlimited broadband, 19.99?

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

niallb, I think you're talking about the fact that it is a good idea for ISP's to block port 25? Stateside, I know a lot of ISP's do this to stop spam. Basically, it will prevent any PC turned into a spam zombie from spamming on port 25 by connecting directly to SMTP servers to deliver mail. With the number of Windows "zombie computers" out there, I agree that this is generally a very good idea.

However, Gmail's SMTP should still work, since it runs on a custom port, uses SSL encryption and authorisation. If it's blocked even though he configured it correctly, it's a network fault on 3's end that they need to fix ASAP.

Yes, agreed. Perhaps I wasnt clear enough too: the gMail smtp WILL work from a MacBook when paired with phone as BT modem (and occasionally some others will slip through too) but not from the handset itself (and for the life of me, I can't find where to adjust the settings for outgoing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

Good comment. I prefer authorisation and direct network connection myself :-)

For the record, I dug out the smtp settings in case anyone wants to try them out... (Hint, Hint :-) )
    SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com
    Use Authentication: Yes
    Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
    Port: 465 or 587

You'll need your gmail username and password too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

culabula wrote:
    Yes, agreed. Perhaps I wasnt clear enough too: the gMail smtp WILL work from a MacBook when paired with phone as BT modem (and occasionally some others will slip through too) but not from the handset itself (and for the life of me, I can't find where to adjust the settings for outgoing).

What handset are you using on it at the moment?
    I'm using a Nokia 6680 as a modem, and I must say it's
    great being able to have various net applications actually on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

At the moment a 6630. In two moments? A Nokia N95. (HUGE grin).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Does specifying an alternative reply-to address get around the smtp problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Just bought my 3 phone. I was charged a 100E deposit but I guess it's not overly excessive even though I'd prefer no deposit. If anyone is thinking of moving, several phones including the N70 are now free on any billpay package. It's not on the site yet but they have the prices changed in the Henry st. shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

^^ wow definetly time for a upgrade then
    Had my v3x for over a year and a half

Advertisement