Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

software deals

Options
  • 09-03-2007 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭

Do UCD do any deals where its possible to get microsoft office cheaper. Its 180 euro from dell!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Yeah they do, they've sent around a few emails about it.

http://www.ucd.ie/computing/itucd/software/index.html

Check the above page for the two websites they recommend.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Don't forget also there's a wealth of legally free software too:

Openoffice is great for typing documents (never used the other bits of it like the Excel/Powerpoint replacements). Download it here: http://www.openoffice.org/.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Steibhin

I would recommend that people try out OpenOffice first before shelling out big money on MS Office. I works very well for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I'd definitely just get OpenOffice. It's free, a lot smaller and a tad more intuitive, plus it'll save, open and edit in the Microsoft proprietary formats (.doc, .xls etc...). There's pretty much no reason to get Microsoft Office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

jimi_t wrote:
    I'd definitely just get OpenOffice. It's free, a lot smaller and a tad more intuitive, plus it'll save, open and edit in the Microsoft proprietary formats (.doc, .xls etc...). There's pretty much no reason to get Microsoft Office
    It'll save as pdf too - handy for reports and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

I use OO in college mostly but if your lecturers use lots of Powerpoint slides then Microsoft Office might save you headaches.

OO doesn't handle stuff created in Powerpoint very well sometimes and printing handouts from slides can be a total pain in the ass.

OO is also slow as hell to start up and generally uses more memory than MS Office.

Of course the positives are that it's free, has nearly all of the same features as MS Office and uses open formats as mentioned above.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Powerpoint slides = disaster recepie. As a format for giving to people i'm quite baffled by it - so much unused space on the page when u do 6 slides a page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Thanks Red Alert, i was just about to provide a link to open office

I'd Strongly reccomend it, although not quite as good as microsoft office, its a worthwhile alternative.

Advertisement